Random Questions Thread........ - Page 363
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #3621
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13037 Times on 5564 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

Couple of the high points- my company matches what I put into the 401K. There is a sliding time scale where THAT money becomes mine if I leave. After 5 years, it is all mine. What I put in is all mine (called vesting) YMMV. But what the company matches is found money.

Generally, money that you put into your 401 K is not taxed until you take it out. Take it out before retirement age, big tax penalty. But the money grows tax free until you spend it. Get run over by a beer truck, you designate a beneficiary that gets it.

At one time, 401Ks dumped everything into company stock (Enron). Courts have made some changes in that. With MOST, you select among several plans where you want money invested.

I have 3 of them, from 3 employers. Vanguard and Fidelity are two of the larger investment firms that handle these (there are others) My investments are split several ways. Some goes up, some goes down, but over time it all grows. The more time, mo' better.

God knows you cannot rely on Social Security for your retirement, and this is a fairly painless way to save for that. In general, good ju-ju.
People Like This 
Old 02-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #3622

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

I'm shopping for a Roth IRA .
Can I withdraw my contributions at anytime tax free and penalty free at anytime no matter what I invest the Roth in?
I think I want my cake and eat it too. Meaning I want a high return on this money but I also want access to it( the contributions, not the earnings) at any time in case of emergency.
Is this the case?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #3623
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1630 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Cinder, always contribute at least enough to get the full company match, else you'll effectively be leaving money on the table. As to investing in an employer's stock, if it's a sound company, putting 10-15% of your contributions in it won't be too big a risk. You can always re-allocate if need be. I keep about 15% in my employer, with the rest in several stock funds. I'm doing pretty well with my returns, and I've been there long enough that they're putting in 9% on top of my own, and it's 100% vested.
At your age, sock it away as much as possible now, and go somewhat aggressive. Riskier, but if there's a downturn, there's plenty of time for you to recover before you need it in 3 or 4 decades.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #3624
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4326 Times on 2438 Posts
Likes Given: 2060

Why is it that when I see (or read) some news articles, I want to ask

"And this made the news because.......?"

For example: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/obama-biden-film-workout-video-together-062016499--abc-news-politics.html?vp=1

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #3625

Liked 1546 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

For example: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/obama-biden-film-workout-video-together-062016499--abc-news-politics.html?vp=1
That reminds me of another libtard POTUS, Jimmy Carter. When traveling, he always had photo ops taken of him carrying his own luggage, with him loaded down with 3 or 4 really big suitcases and bags. He was recently "outed" by a DC insider, because the "luggage" was always empty, and he only carried it a few feet while the cameras were rolling.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #3626
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3964 Times on 2576 Posts

Quote:

Diversion tactics for the numbskulls that don't know how to think. Kinda like after they talk about government forces shooting citizens, then the next article is about playing with puppies in the snow. People walk away thinking about puppies in the snow.
People Like This 
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #3627
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:

That is great! Fantastic video! I want to see more of them! Lots more!

Like, can they quit their day jobs and focus entirely on making more and more of these fabulous videos?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #3628

Liked 1546 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
That is great! Fantastic video! I want to see more of them! Lots more!

Like, can they quit their day jobs and focus entirely on making more and more of these fabulous videos?
With a series of those workout videos they may be able to give Jane Fonda a run for her money.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #3629
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 409

Building a flag display box and wondering if it needs to be lined with anything to prevent the white material from being stained by contact with the wood. Anyone Know?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #3630

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK3220 View Post
Building a flag display box and wondering if it needs to be lined with anything to prevent the white material from being stained by contact with the wood. Anyone Know?
Shouldn't be a prob, but you may want to line it anywny simply for looks. I would. Some velvet would be pretty.
People Like This