Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #3271
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8094

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Mississippi river couple years ago.
Oh, man, this reminds me of a story.

When I was still married, my husband and I drove to the Mississippi in the winter to watch for eagles. We were walking along the froze river and there were ice fishermen out there. I wanted to experience walking on the frozen river. Well, when the river freezer, the ice pushes over the banks as it expands, causing a sort of small "cliff" of ice. So I climb over this small cliff of ice and walk around on the river. When I wanted to get back on land, I couldn't make it over the cliff of ice again as I was now on the sloped side and I kept sliding back as I was trying to reach for a grip hold. It was pretty damned funny. Finally, I was able to reach my husband's hand and he pulled me off the river.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #3272
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post

No, it's Swag, scientific wild ass guess...

I know where Tahoe came from, God was like, I want to put a lake there, so he did.
Dang it, where's that like button when you need it...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #3273
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2540 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

V-dad & Cinder, I'm stealing S.W.A.G. Just thought you should know!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #3274
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7827 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 10075

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Oh, man, this reminds me of a story.

When I was still married, my husband and I drove to the Mississippi in the winter to watch for eagles. We were walking along the froze river and there were ice fishermen out there. I wanted to experience walking on the frozen river. Well, when the river freezer, the ice pushes over the banks as it expands, causing a sort of small "cliff" of ice. So I climb over this small cliff of ice and walk around on the river. When I wanted to get back on land, I couldn't make it over the cliff of ice again as I was now on the sloped side and I kept sliding back as I was trying to reach for a grip hold. It was pretty damned funny. Finally, I was able to reach my husband's hand and he pulled me off the river.
One of my old college instructors had all sorts of stories from when he was growing up in Minnesota. One had to do with his dad and him driving out on a freshly frozen pond one night in dad's car, and the ice was so thin the car was causing a depression in the ice and they couldn't get back up onto shore. Walt (my instructor) said his dad got out and tried to push the car since he had some ice cleats on. Seems dad dropped his bottle of Brandy and it slid underneath the car and dad had Walt drive forward to got off of it, but as Walt drove forward the bottle followed him because the depression in the ice followed the car. So here Walt was, driving around on the ice with his dad chasing behind trying unsuccessfully to grab his bottle of brandy from behind the car.

Eventually they abandoned the brandy and Walt started driving around the edge of the pond faster and faster until they built up enough centrifugal force to pop up on shore. Oh, and the pond was known to only be a couple of feet deep, so they weren't worried about breaking trough and sinking to their deaths.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #3275
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
One of my old college instructors had all sorts of stories from when he was growing up in Minnesota. One had to do with his dad and him driving out on a freshly frozen pond one night in dad's car, and the ice was so thin the car was causing a depression in the ice and they couldn't get back up onto shore. Walt (my instructor) said his dad got out and tried to push the car since he had some ice cleats on. Seems dad dropped his bottle of Brandy and it slid underneath the car and dad had Walt drive forward to got off of it, but as Walt drove forward the bottle followed him because the depression in the ice followed the car. So here Walt was, driving around on the ice with his dad chasing behind trying unsuccessfully to grab his bottle of brandy from behind the car.

Eventually they abandoned the brandy and Walt started driving around the edge of the pond faster and faster until they built up enough centrifugal force to pop up on shore. Oh, and the pond was known to only be a couple of feet deep, so they weren't worried about breaking trough and sinking to their deaths.
That's pretty funny. I can envision it.

Though death through hypothermia was always an option.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #3276
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 650 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Anybody else working on thanksgiving?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #3277
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Anybody else working on thanksgiving?
Yes, I am. I work the night shift and I work the night before and the night of Thanksgiving. I also have to cook three side dishes to bring to dinner. I guess I'm going to work tired that night. But I also get time and a half pay, which is always nice.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3278
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

:eyebleach:

Wife sent me this. I thought I would share.

http://youtu.be/9PVhIMr4ScI

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #3279
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 650 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 46

That's the one thing that sucks about my job is working holidays but yeah that time and a half helps

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #3280
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
That's the one thing that sucks about my job is working holidays but yeah that time and a half helps
What field do you work in? I work in a hospital lab. I really don't mind working the holidays. It sucked when my children were little but not so much anymore. It still is difficult to join the family for holiday celebrations but I just tell myself I'll only be tired for one night. The next day I can sleep as much as I need to.