Random Questions Thread........ - Page 327
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #3261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 7,032
Liked 2407 Times on 1501 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Mississippi river couple years ago.

image-3469332635.jpg   image-2165206065.jpg   image-929574008.jpg   image-2725039837.jpg  
__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #3262
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Tahoe is not a crater. I think it was formed as the Earth's crust upthrust over itself. Plate tectonics. If you were to cut the crust from east to west and look at a cross section the western Sierra is like a long ramp up to the summit, and then drops off abruptly on the eastern face. Tahoe is in a large valley virtually on the summit where an enormous scarp sheared off and fell to the east leaving the Tahoe Basin.

That's my uneducated wild-ass guess anyhow.
I like that word... Upthrust. Sounds like trick sex.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #3263
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocshaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KanOkla
Posts: 3,279
Liked 2145 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Tahoe is not a crater. I think it was formed as the Earth's crust upthrust over itself. Plate tectonics. If you were to cut the crust from east to west and look at a cross section the western Sierra is like a long ramp up to the summit, and then drops off abruptly on the eastern face. Tahoe is in a large valley virtually on the summit where an enormous scarp sheared off and fell to the east leaving the Tahoe Basin.

That's my uneducated wild-ass guess anyhow.

And plate tectonics are why California is going to slip off into the sea one of these days.
__________________
rocshaman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #3264
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 6,818
Liked 3933 Times on 2182 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Tahoe is not a crater. I think it was formed as the Earth's crust upthrust over itself. Plate tectonics. If you were to cut the crust from east to west and look at a cross section the western Sierra is like a long ramp up to the summit, and then drops off abruptly on the eastern face. Tahoe is in a large valley virtually on the summit where an enormous scarp sheared off and fell to the east leaving the Tahoe Basin.

That's my uneducated wild-ass guess anyhow.
No, it's Swag, scientific wild ass guess...

I know where Tahoe came from, God was like, I want to put a lake there, so he did.
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #3265
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,873
Liked 9017 Times on 5240 Posts
Likes Given: 11898

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
No, it's Swag, scientific wild ass guess...

I know where Tahoe came from, God was like, I want to put a lake there, so he did.
OK Ms. Darwin.


There is no science in my response. Just what I have read and learned over the years. One of the great books I have read on the subject is "Assembling California" by John McPhee. It was particularly interesting given that over the years I have visited nearly all of the sites McPhee writes about in the book. In any case I found it quite compelling.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #3266
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 22083 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Lake Tahoe is close to where they filmed Bonanza!

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #3267
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 630
Liked 275 Times on 175 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

No idea, but it has to be cold. When Cinder and I went camping up in the snowy range next to this stream, my hands turned blue as soon as I stuck them in the water. It felt like the skin was peeled off. All snow melt, but way colder than 32°F. If I had to guess, I'd say it was at least -10°F. I have nothing to judge by for sure though. The coldest temps I've experienced were right about 2°F.
It is impossible for stream water to be below 32-degrees F. You can compress the freezing point of water by adding things to the water, but they aren't typically found in streams.
__________________
jigs-n-fixture is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #3268
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,760
Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

This is probably gonna make me sound crazier then I am, but anyone over "link" an idea/though to an everyday object?
I'm bad at remembering things so I'll "link" thoughts to object that I use in a daily basis such as car keys, phone, door knob, game systems.....literally anything. What I mean by "link" is basically saying to yourself "when I reach for *insert object* I'll think of *insert thought*". An example would be like "I want to remember to tell my girlfriend to we should spend a New Years on a train" I put that to my game system since I was planning on playing it when I got home........anyone else do this?

__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #3269
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
This is probably gonna make me sound crazier then I am, but anyone over "link" an idea/though to an everyday object? I'm bad at remembering things so I'll "link" thoughts to object that I use in a daily basis such as car keys, phone, door knob, game systems.....literally anything. What I mean by "link" is basically saying to yourself "when I reach for *insert object* I'll think of *insert thought*". An example would be like "I want to remember to tell my girlfriend to we should spend a New Years on a train" I put that to my game system since I was planning on playing it when I got home........anyone else do this?
Like a Mind Map? Yup. Did it quite a bit when I was still teaching, and before that, in Grad school. Would always diagram stuff, and have a "MAP" of where such things are in a particular order,.......
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #3270
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,760
Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Like a Mind Map? Yup. Did it quite a bit when I was still teaching, and before that, in Grad school. Would always diagram stuff, and have a "MAP" of where such things are in a particular order,.......
I guess you could call it mind mapping......never actually knew there was a term for it. I've been doing it for probably two years or so now and man oh man, does it ever help.
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Thoughts Thread Dillinger The Club House 38470 Yesterday 10:58 PM
Random Creepy Things Thread. Shihan The Club House 114 06-02-2010 09:17 PM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 07:01 PM
Random question Ubergopher General Rifle Discussion 9 03-11-2010 01:34 AM