Random Questions Thread........ - Page 312
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #3111
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Related question: How do you stop the predator banks from sending you credit card offers? Citibank, Chase, Bank of America...

When you get the application, you need to shred all the parts that contain personal information. Anyone could steal a few of those from your mailbox and poof there goes several thousand dollars in debt for you.

Lately I've been sending them back all of the paper they sent me. Even their envelope. Since it's a postage paid return envelope, they have to pay for me to send back a Not Interested message written across the front of the application.

It's not so much the postage as it is the time someone there has to spend handling it. Hopefully that fatter, heavier package requires more manual handling. I also tape it shut. Maybe the adhesive will jam up their processing equipment...
Lol. I like that. I may start doing that. Usually I just use them as fire starter.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #3112
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8108 Times on 4682 Posts
Likes Given: 10476

Yesterday I got a half dozen calls on my cell phone and I suspect that they were all scams. One might not be but I ripped into them with a vengeance because of the others. The main one (just got another one this AM) is a caller with a heavy Indian accent who says they are from the US Government and I have been selected to receive a cash grant. I mean really? Since when does the government issue grants that have not been applied for? Ummmm. Never?

The one that may have been legit (but I seriously doubt it) was another heavily (Indian) accented dude who claimed to be from Medicare/medicaid and was trying to confirm my information. I told him I was not going to confirm sh!t until he confirmed his identity and the reason why he was confirming this info first. I ended up yelling and swearing at the guy before he hung up. Persistent little effer. He did say that he would send me an email to confirm who he was, but I never got one.

I am trying to think of how to deal with these people in the future. I wonder if there is an effective way to turn these scams around on them? Or maybe a way to locate where they are and nuke the site from orbit? That would be fun.

In the meantime I think I will ask them to confirm their identity by providing me with their PIN number or their full SSN. Of course there isn't one so that should make for some confusion.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #3113

Liked 2397 Times on 1555 Posts

The guy being that persistent tells me he was full of it. They got your # and probably are trading/ selling it to each other.

If only someone would invent a phone you can reach through and punch someone in the eye, looney tunes style. Sounds like there would be a bunch of people walking around with black eyes.

Feral cat waterboarder

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #3114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3184 Times on 1771 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yesterday I got a half dozen calls on my cell phone and I suspect that they were all scams. One might not be but I ripped into them with a vengeance because of the others. The main one (just got another one this AM) is a caller with a heavy Indian accent who says they are from the US Government and I have been selected to receive a cash grant. I mean really? Since when does the government issue grants that have not been applied for? Ummmm. Never?

The one that may have been legit (but I seriously doubt it) was another heavily (Indian) accented dude who claimed to be from Medicare/medicaid and was trying to confirm my information. I told him I was not going to confirm sh!t until he confirmed his identity and the reason why he was confirming this info first. I ended up yelling and swearing at the guy before he hung up. Persistent little effer. He did say that he would send me an email to confirm who he was, but I never got one.

I am trying to think of how to deal with these people in the future. I wonder if there is an effective way to turn these scams around on them? Or maybe a way to locate where they are and nuke the site from orbit? That would be fun.

In the meantime I think I will ask them to confirm their identity by providing me with their PIN number or their full SSN. Of course there isn't one so that should make for some confusion.
In my experience they do everything they can to not issue grants that have been applied for. Bastards hand out free money to people who won't get up off their couch and get a job, but someone who had been working most their life and playing taxes can't get a little help with tuition because, get this, I had a job and made $250 over the required amount to get a grant. I'm not annoyed by this at all by the way.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3115

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Lol. I like that. I may start doing that. Usually I just use them as fire starter.
We put a piece of wood slat in the envelope... so they have to pay extra for the weight.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3116
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofAres View Post

We put a piece of wood slat in the envelope... so they have to pay extra for the weight.
Awesome. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3117

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Answer and say "just a minute" and then walk away or leave the phone under a pillow. Wait 10 minutes and they already have hung up... and you cost them $$$

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #3118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3184 Times on 1771 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofAres View Post

Answer and say "just a minute" and then walk away or leave the phone under a pillow. Wait 10 minutes and they already have hung up... and you cost them $$$
When they would call at auto zone we put them on eternal hold. You waste my time, I'll waste yours.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #3119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Question.......

If I painted myself totally green ......and laid in the grass,

Would I be stealthy?

Jim

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png