Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #301
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh you know what the heck in talking about, come on man!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #302

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Oh you know what the heck in talking about, come on man!
Hey now, according to "the Most Dangerous Game" and all.
But yes I know what you mean, but I must give you a hard time and all.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #303
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6635 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7875

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
WOC have you thought of taking up hunting?

I'm back at it again for the first time in over 10 years, and love it more than ever!
I don't know if I could shoot an animal. Well, maybe I could but I would TOTALLY FREAK if I shot an animal and did not kill it clean. I would flip if I saw it in pain.......particularly if I was the one who caused it's pain. I'm not sure I'm the hunting type. Though I would easily be able to shoot an animal to put it out of it's misery. Plus, I don't own a shotgun or a rifle.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #304

Just another reason to go gun shopping

But I know what your talking about worrying about a clean kill. The last animal I killed was a raccoon I had to put down with a pipe wrench. It was rough, but it was to end it's suffering.

My uncle has hunted most of his life, and he made a kill a few years ago that just almost ended hunting for him. It just wasn't a clean kill and he couldn't get a clear shot to finish the deer off. He said he cried like a baby sitting there in the tree stand.

A lot of it just comes down to marksmanship practice, and I know you already enjoy that. You could get a decent rifle and just get into a little rifle marksmanship and then decide later if you want to try hunting, and if you don't, oh well, you've got a new hobby!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #305
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just another reason to go gun shopping

My uncle has hunted most of his life, and he made a kill a few years ago that just almost ended hunting for him. It just wasn't a clean kill and he couldn't get a clear shot to finish the deer off. He said he cried like a baby sitting there in the tree stand.

A lot of it just comes down to marksmanship practice, and I know you already enjoy that. You could get a decent rifle and just get into a little rifle marksmanship and then decide later if you want to try hunting, and if you don't, oh well, you've got a new hobby!
Reason I DON'T go gun shopping..........I never feel I have enough $$ to buy the all the guns I want.

Dang, shouldn't your Uncle have hauled his butt out of that tree stand and tracked that deer? I always thought part of hunting was to follow through to completion. Again, I say..........Dang!!!

Also, every rifle I've ever shot always seemed to big for me. I'm pretty short and the stocks always seem to long for me to use the sights or scope properly. Maybe I would like shooting a rifle better if I found one that 'fit' me right.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #306

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Reason I DON'T go gun shopping..........I never feel I have enough $$ to buy the all the guns I want.

Dang, shouldn't your Uncle have hauled his butt out of that tree stand and tracked that deer? I always thought part of hunting was to follow through to completion. Again, I say..........Dang!!!

Also, every rifle I've ever shot always seemed to big for me. I'm pretty short and the stocks always seem to long for me to use the sights or scope properly. Maybe I would like shooting a rifle better if I found one that 'fit' me right.
Depending on where you're at, you might get shot for getting out of your tree stand and going "afield."

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #307

Not just that, but a wounded buck in heavy brush can be a very dangerous animal.

He was bow hunting too, not a easy as just popping off another shot with a rifle.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #308
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7654 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9865

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My sister doesn't own any guns and I just have two handguns. We won't be shooting any rifles. I have never been to her place so I don't know the lay of the land around here. I'll have to ask her to scope it out for us. I just get all excited when I have the opportunity to shoot anything other than paper targets.
Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that when you do buy a Mini-14 or an AR-15, and when your sister decides she likes shooting, you will need a minimum 100 yard range. I am just thinking ahead for you!

Just think about it, you get your sister hooked on shooting, she builds up a range, you both build up an inventory, you visit your sister more often, etc. etc. etc. everybody is a winner here. Your sister might even have a neighbor with a tractor who could help set up the range. This is how relationships are built.

Oh, and on targets. Those plastic water bottles in all sizes work great. Fill them with water and put the cap on. Milk jugs, 5-gallon water jugs, 8oz water bottles. All good fun and pretty easy to clean up. Place them in different orientations, cap to the shooter, bottom to the shooter, standing up, sideways or whatever.

Don't shoot glass, TV monitors, electronics, that sort of thing. Bad mojo.

You can also build or buy some "spinner" targets and some "gong" targets. Those are great fun.

We also use crackers (not the white trash kind, the Ritz kind) as targets. Oyster crackers are challenging.

Try shooting a playing card in half. It is easier than it appears.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #309
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

My sister is very interested in getting a gun. After all, she lives in Arizona. Both her daughters have guns and are pretty well trained in handling them. They are both young adults, in college. My sister's ex (her daughters' Dad, now deceased) was very familiar with guns and made it a point to train his daughters and sign them up for shooting classes. He then helped them choose the right gun for each of them. I believe they have .38's of some sort. Many years ago, on their farm, my BIL set up some gallon milk jugs filled with water between trees. He let me shoot one of his rifles and one of his handguns. I have no idea what they were anymore. We had a contest to see who could shoot the lowest on the milk jugs and still have water come out. There were a few times I outshot him.....and I had never even touched a gun before. Then, after we shot his guns we took his Jeep pick up truck with the manual transmission and went driving around the fields in it. We had a RIOT!!! My sister's not as adventuresome as I am. LOL My BIL always thought I was a hoot.

Then many, MANY years went by before I shot a gun again and got hooked.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #310
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I just get all excited when I have the opportunity to shoot anything other than paper targets.
"firing range art"......

1 2x4 3 feet long
1 pkg golf tees
1 pkg paint balls
1 piece of poster board

drill 3/16" holes in the wide side of the 2x4 about an inch apart
insert golf tees in holes
load paint balls onto golf tees
place poster board behind the 2x4

Shoot the paint balls off the tees, and paint splatters onto the poster board. After you're done, cut the lower edge of the poster board off, (the part with the bullet holes)... and you have firearms generated modern art.... maybe only to simple minds like mine... but my grandchildren liked it.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys