Random Questions Thread........ - Page 298
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #2971
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I use breakfree clp, never had such a mess that I need hoppes.

So little is needed that the stock stays dry.
Brush, patch, patch ... until clean as a 10 year olds socks.
10 year old socks? i'm lucky if i get six months before the heels have holes!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #2972
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
I'm lucky if I can get 6 months out of shoes. I switched to cowboy boots several years back. Problem solved.
rocshaman Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #2973
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8954 Times on 5353 Posts
Likes Given: 11966

Quote:
sometimes, but not always, they will provide this information in the owners manual. best suggestion is to call Henry and ask them. they would be the best source of whether dry firing is potentially harmful to the rifle.
There was nothing in the manual about dry firing. I'll call Henry Monday. I really want to play with this rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I use breakfree clp, never had such a mess that I need hoppes.

So little is needed that the stock stays dry.
Brush, patch, patch ... until clean as a 10 year olds socks.
A 10 year old's socks are usually quite dirty.

The "paint job" on my rifle really isn't paint. It is some sort of covering on it. It is very shiny.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2974
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2037 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

There was nothing in the manual about dry firing. I'll call Henry Monday. I really want to play with this rifle!

A 10 year old's socks are usually quite dirty.

The "paint job" on my rifle really isn't paint. It is some sort of covering on it. It is very shiny.
The pink is paint. The camo is some kind of covering. I'll ask the guy that did it about protection when cleaning.

I thought the problem with dry firing rimfire guns was the hammer gouging up the inlet to the chamber. If you have any spent brass that would work. Or they do make snap caps in 22lr. Unless Henry was very definite about OK to dry fire, I wouldn't do it.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #2975
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 91 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
So.......there is no safe way to dry fire my rifle?
I just did a quick search on eBay, you can by .22 snap caps on there. I would put a link but an on my phone and not sure how, just search ".22 snap caps". They had a 24 pack for $12.99.

Last edited by lastrebel70; 06-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #2976
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Here's one guys take on how to clean the Henry Lever Action 22lr. May involve more disassembly than you want to try, but it does let you clean from the breech to the muzzle more easily than you can through the assembled gun. The good news is there do not appear to be any flying springs involved in this level of disassembly.

We also saw JonM use a boresnake to get it done without disassembly. I'd recommend JonM's approach for general cleaning. But since that gun is brand new, it might be a good idea to run through the disassembly process once to get all the heavy gunk cleaned out and the lever axle lubed well.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #2977
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8954 Times on 5353 Posts
Likes Given: 11966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
The pink is paint. The camo is some kind of covering. I'll ask the guy that did it about protection when cleaning.

I thought the problem with dry firing rimfire guns was the hammer gouging up the inlet to the chamber. If you have any spent brass that would work. Or they do make snap caps in 22lr. Unless Henry was very definite about OK to dry fire, I wouldn't do it.
I haven't dry fired it all. I won't unless I know I can. Wouldn't a spent case be too short? Please do ask about how the paint and covering would handle cleaning solutions. Otherwise I'll see about removing the stock for cleaning. I'm a little skittish about taking this rifle apart, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post
I just did a quick search on eBay, you can by .22 snap caps on there. I would put a link but an on my phone and not sure how, just search ".22 snap caps". They had a 24 pack for $12.99.
Thank you. I will be buying some. I'll find them on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Here's one guys take on how to clean the Henry Lever Action 22lr. May involve more disassembly than you want to try, but it does let you clean from the breech to the muzzle more easily than you can through the assembled gun. The good news is there do not appear to be any flying springs involved in this level of disassembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIFiwHdVyRs

We also saw JonM use a boresnake to get it done without disassembly. I'd recommend JonM's approach for general cleaning. But since that gun is brand new, it might be a good idea to run through the disassembly process once to get all the heavy gunk cleaned out and the lever axle lubed well.
Thanks for the link. I'll watch it when I get home from work. There usually isn't any flying springs until I disassembly the rifle.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #2978
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The spent case still bottoms out where it belongs. If you just want trigger practice, you can put one spent case in the chamber and thumb the hammer back. But if you want to practice cycling the lever, you really need a set of snap caps. And, most importantly, a place where all the ejected snap caps can be easily gathered back up! After you cycle 10 or 12 snap caps through, you'll be crawling all over the place looking for the damn things. I go crazy looking for my 9mm caps and they're a lot bigger than the 22s.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #2979
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Balota has it right.

Rimfire cartridges are headpsaced off of the rim of the cartridge, so a spent case is no different than a loaded cartridge. Just make sure that the rim is aligned so that spot on the rim that was struck by the firing pin when the cartridge was originally fired is going to be elsewhere when you put it in the chamber. Spent cartridges will probably not cycle through your action, though they will probably extract and eject OK.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #2980

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2096 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 6261

Quote:
10 year old socks?
Quote:

yeah, doesn't need to be too clean.

I am sold on CLP for the 'quick and dirty' approach.

Note: When the kids were growing up, I never knew how they could go through so many socks and each pair looked like they wore them for six months.
axxe55 Likes This