Random Questions Thread........ - Page 286
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #2851
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The problem with the word Y'all, is people think its the contraction of "you" and "all". But it comes from when language had singular and plural forms. When speaking to a single person you used "Thou" and to a group it was "Ye all"

Y'all is the contraction of the old English "Ye all"

Hey C3, I live out in the "Bundok"s....
'Ceptin' where I come from, it's pronounced 'ya'll'...

eldar

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #2852
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Why is it I can envision Homer Simpson saying that?
It does read like a Homer line.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2853

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Language is never static, it changes and evolves over time. I used to study theology, you simply wouldn't believe the disputes over translations.
You said it... Turns out the Egyptians were right and cats really ARE gods. What's worse, they know it.

The only thing that has kept them from putting their thumb down in the heavens and on Earth? Lack of said thumbs. And when they realize this we'll WISH The Party of the Left were reigning over us again!

Hell, brothers and sisters, is HAVING to open cat food cans with a P-38 for eternity. Be nice to cats!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #2854

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I have a few random questions:

1- I have always been a "man opens the door for women" type guy, however while taking a tour through a gym and going to the houses of kids I mentor, the women always insist on opening it for me. What is appropriate? I mean I am going into their work space but I feel weird not opening it for them.

Also sometimes I get offered meals while doing in-home staffing but I usually eat at home, is it rude to not accept the meal but I generally get stuffed when I eat at home.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #2855

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With regard to language, consider this: Along the Southern East Coast (Virginia/ Carolinas/ Georgia) what you may be hearing is the Queen's English. Bits of Elizabethan English that stuck in the 1600s-early 1700s.
Accent more than anything -- what's the name of that fishing island that was pretty isolated until the '70's where this Elizabethan dialect stood out like a sore thumb and was studied by linguists!?

And in the North of the UK... a really "broad" accent you would swear was Afrikaans. And THEY can't understand Scots outside of Edinburough!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #2856
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8296 Times on 4960 Posts
Likes Given: 10741

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
I have a few random questions:

1- I have always been a "man opens the door for women" type guy, however while taking a tour through a gym and going to the houses of kids I mentor, the women always insist on opening it for me. What is appropriate? I mean I am going into their work space but I feel weird not opening it for them.

Also sometimes I get offered meals while doing in-home staffing but I usually eat at home, is it rude to not accept the meal but I generally get stuffed when I eat at home.
1.) If I approach a door first, I will hold it open for a man. Maybe not necessarily for him to pass through in front of me but to hand him the open door rather than letting it shut right before he gets to it.

2.) If I am working, I would never take a meal with a patient/client. If I were visiting as a friend, I would. If you are working, you must act professional and politely refuse saying something like, "I'd love to but I just don't have the time." Or, even if it's not true, "I just ate and I couldn't fit another mouthful of food in, but thank you for the offer."
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #2857

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A man should always try to hold the door for a woman, but there are obviously times when it just isn't feasible. Coming back from the store and carrying a double arm load of groceries in for the little lady? Yeah, it's just courteous to hold the door for anyone carrying a load, regardless of sex.

When entering a woman's residence or place of employment, especially in a professional capacity by invitation, it's perfectly acceptable for the woman to hold the door. Has nothing to do with chivalry, it's a welcoming gesture.

Never accept food or gifts from a client without direct supervisor/s present, and THEY'RE partaking too. Personal rule of mine. This negates any accusations or feelings of impropriety, even harbored but unspoken feelings.

Personally, I don't work to make friends. I work because I have bills. I just happen to be lucky enough to enjoy my job (notice I didn't say I love it). Being friends with coworkers is fine, but professional relationships should remain exactly that: professional.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #2858
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
...Being friends with coworkers is fine, but professional relationships should remain exactly that: professional.
Hence the fringe benefits of pimping.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #2859
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1127 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Hence the fringe benefits of pimping.
The logic....well, it's profound!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #2860
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4052 Times on 2241 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

You said it... Turns out the Egyptians were right and cats really ARE gods. What's worse, they know it.

The only thing that has kept them from putting their thumb down in the heavens and on Earth? Lack of said thumbs. And when they realize this we'll WISH The Party of the Left were reigning over us again!

Hell, brothers and sisters, is HAVING to open cat food cans with a P-38 for eternity. Be nice to cats!
Or we could just shoot them all and not have to worry about it... Just a thought...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.