Random Questions Thread........ - Page 240
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #2391
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

diesels fire by compression. hence the reason they have much higher a compression ratio compared to gasoline engines. the compressed air in the cylinder is heated as it's compressed and when it approaches TDC, a small metered amount of diesel fuel is injected in very fine and atomized mist that ignites in the superheated compressed air in the head.

glow plugs or preheaters, warm the ambient air temperature in the intake runners so that the piston is trying to compress warmer air rather than cold air.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #2392
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
glow plugs or preheaters, warm the ambient air temperature in the intake runners so that the piston is trying to compress warmer air rather than cold air.
The glow plugs are inside the combustion chamber, just like a spark plug is. There are other preheaters (like the intake heating grids) that pre-heat the air in the intake runners and those are sometimes used in conjunction with glow plugs and a block heater in very cold climates.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #2393

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Some really old heavy equipment was started on gas until the engine warmed, and then switched to diesel while running. And no, I'm not talking about gas powered starter motors. My Mom's dozer is set up like this. Her personal dozer she keeps at home. I think they figured it was built sometime between '47 and '51.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #2394

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some really old heavy equipment was started on gas until the engine warmed, and then switched to diesel while running. And no, I'm not talking about gas powered starter motors. My Mom's dozer is set up like this. Her personal dozer she keeps at home. I think they figured it was built sometime between '47 and '51.
the ones with a small gasoline engine that started them were called pony motors.

my uncle had an old trackloader that when it was first started up, it ran on gasoline until warmed up then you switched it over to diesel. i can't remember what brand it was now.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #2395

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
the ones with a small gasoline engine that started them were called pony motors.

my uncle had an old trackloader that when it was first started up, it ran on gasoline until warmed up then you switched it over to diesel. i can't remember what brand it was now.
Yes, I knew I was missing it. Pony motor was the term I was looking for. But no, my Mom's dozer is like your uncle's trackloader. Only one engine, two different fuels. I think it's a pretty darn cool set up. I theorize that it was designed that way maybe because the quality of diesel fuel was just hit or miss back then?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #2396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The glow plugs are inside the combustion chamber, just like a spark plug is. There are other preheaters (like the intake heating grids) that pre-heat the air in the intake runners and those are sometimes used in conjunction with glow plugs and a block heater in very cold climates.
yes glow plugs are in the combustion chamber, but still perform the same function, to raise the ambient air temperature to support combustion when compressed.

a block heater keeps the oil warm so that the starter isn't having to overcome the resistance of thicker oil. without proper engine speed during starting, a diesel can't build enough compression to start.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #2397

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My 70's Ford backhoe had a burner in the intake manifold, It would start a little fire in the manifold to heat the incoming air...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #2398

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Does anybody know what the "Prospector" package on Dodge trucks consists of??? Ive seen tons of trucks with it, but recently found they had Rampages with it as well....

Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yes, I knew I was missing it. Pony motor was the term I was looking for. But no, my Mom's dozer is like your uncle's trackloader. Only one engine, two different fuels. I think it's a pretty darn cool set up. I theorize that it was designed that way maybe because the quality of diesel fuel was just hit or miss back then?
i might have to see if that old trackloader is still down at his farm. i know it;s not been used since he passed away several years ago. might see about getting down there and taking some pictures of it.

he explained how it worked many years ago, but honestly can't remember exactly how now. but i remember it had two fuel tanks, one small one for gas and the larger main one for diesel.

maybe if i can look at it, i'll be able to figure out how it worked.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Does anybody know what the "Prospector" package on Dodge trucks consists of??? Ive seen tons of trucks with it, but recently found they had Rampages with it as well....
Trez, IIRC, it was just a dress-up option for the Dodge trucks. some different trim options and some decals and rims.

i haven't seen one in years. they also put them on the Ramchargers as well.