Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #2371
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But it has a password. Doesn't that keep anyone from using one's router?
Anything can be hacked. A password will keep out most potential hackers, but a determined one with some decent skills would probably get into your system.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #2372
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,493
Liked 16864 Times on 9772 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Anything can be hacked. A password will keep out most potential hackers, but a determined one with some decent skills would probably get into your system.
a hacker would probably feel sorry for me if he got into my system.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #2373
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,513
Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 580

Default

Whats the benefit of the strut vs. a shock? or is it just another way to make things complicated and expensive on a car? Im doing my first set on my Rampage and had to get all kinds of crap... The struts, mounts, boots, and a tool to remove/install the springs on the struts.. With a shock you just take the old ones off and put the new ones on...

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #2374
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,493
Liked 16864 Times on 9772 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Whats the benefit of the strut vs. a shock? or is it just another way to make things complicated and expensive on a car? Im doing my first set on my Rampage and had to get all kinds of crap... The struts, mounts, boots, and a tool to remove/install the springs on the struts.. With a shock you just take the old ones off and put the new ones on...
a strut is a combination of the shock absorber and the coil spring.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #2375
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BFE,Mississippi
Posts: 19,092
Liked 5640 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 4741

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
a strut is a combination of the shock absorber and the coil spring.
Doesn't it also eliminate the upper A arm, basically?
By eliminate, I mean that the use of the strut made the type of suspension with an upper A arm less popular than the type with a strut and no upper A arm.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #2376
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,493
Liked 16864 Times on 9772 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Doesn't it also eliminate the upper A arm, basically?
in some applications yes it does. basically in a strut application, they have combined the spring and the shock, rather than have them being seperate. allows for a more compact set-up over separate components.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #2377
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,513
Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 580

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
a strut is a combination of the shock absorber and the coil spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Doesn't it also eliminate the upper A arm, basically?
By eliminate, I mean that the use of the strut made the type of suspension with an upper A arm less popular than the type with a strut and no upper A arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
in some applications yes it does. basically in a strut application, they have combined the spring and the shock, rather than have them being seperate. allows for a more compact set-up over separate components.
Is that it? To save space?..

Upper A-arm??

I used to just a frame, leaf spring, shock, & axle.....

See why I drive IH's... Way simpler....
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #2378
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,533
Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post

Is that it? To save space?..

Upper A-arm??

I used to just a frame, leaf spring, shock, & axle.....

See why I drive IH's... Way simpler....
Makes you want to hurt an engineer doesn't it?
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2379
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,493
Liked 16864 Times on 9772 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Is that it? To save space?..

Upper A-arm??

I used to just a frame, leaf spring, shock, & axle.....

See why I drive IH's... Way simpler....
look at the way the strut attaches on most vehicles. to the unibody at the upper mounts. then to a lower a-frame at the bottom. allows for them to make a more compact package, combining two different parts of the suspension into one unit. better in some ways, but much more expensive to replace and more difficult for a DIYer to do at home. most people don't usually have a coil spring compressor at the house and usually most cars with struts need to be aligned after a strut change.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #2380
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Makes you want to hurt an engineer doesn't it?
Always hating on the engineers.

Oh well, I'm wanting to design firearms or aircraft, not cars, so hurt the car guys if you want.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Thoughts Thread Dillinger The Club House 34800 Today 06:08 PM
Random Creepy Things Thread. Shihan The Club House 114 06-02-2010 08:17 PM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 06:01 PM
Random question Ubergopher General Rifle Discussion 9 03-11-2010 12:34 AM