Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2011
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1650 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Mmkay....I'm going to ask this then take off for my bed.

If you guys could own one gun set up exactly how you want it, what gun would it be and how would it be set up? ( <- gun and attachments would be free)

Here's the catch though, it has to be one you would actually use and afford to shoot......pre-panic of course.
I know virtually nothing about rifles (and not a whole lot more about handguns compared to most of you ). My dream gun is an XDm 9mm Compact 3.8" barrel with Trijicon Tritium Fiber Optic sights. Plain and simple. The nice part is I'm heading to my LGS to retrieve my EDC which is that dream gun.

I wish I could get a Safariland ALS holster to fit it (I'm an open carry guy.) But I contacted Safariland and they say they don't make an ALS for the XDm series.

Oh, and as long as I'm dreaming, throw in several cases of 9mm ammo.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #2012

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Oh, well that covers it for me. The only thing I might possibly change, maybe get the select fire M14 instead.

Not that I would ever go full auto. Still, it's like 4X4 on a truck. Every truck I've had, had it. I never played in the mud, but it was nice knowing it was there. And I did use it a few times at work, and once when I slid off a shoulder from a dead stop into a ditch while it was raining.
I some what like Trips ideology here. Mines a toss up between an M1A and an AR-15. If Canada didn't have the laws restricting the AR to range use only, i'd have one topped with a simple 4x Trig-icon with a chevron reticle, then maybe a vertical grip.

As for the M1A, it'd be bone stock. I don't even know if I'd want to put a scope on it or just leave it with irons since none of my guns are I scoped so far.

However, if Canada also didn't have a ban on civilians owning anything capable of full automatic, I'd love for the AR to be select fire. Just for the odd time I'd want to have a little fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I agree with trip on the gun, I'd love an M1A. Only, I would make a few changes to increase the drool factor and make it uniquely mine.

Full military dress stock made from highly figured Claro Walnut and beautify checkered.
Heavy match barrel
Gun redesigned to fire 30-06 Ackley Improved
Smooth, adjustable match trigger
A powerful scope. Something that tops out in the 32x-40x range
Magazines made to fit the new caliber.

Just picture an M1A with a stock made from this.

Drool...
Now as for you Tex, I've got to ask since I've always wondered. What's the difference, aside from price, between a normal xxx and a xxx Ackley Improved?

Last edited by kaido; 03-17-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #2013
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I some what like Trips ideology here. Mines a toss up between an M1A and an AR-15. If Canada didn't have the laws restricting the AR to range use only, i'd have one topped with a simple 4x Trig-icon with a chevron reticle, then maybe a vertical grip.

As for the M1A, it'd be bone stock. I don't even know if I'd want to put a scope on it or just leave it with irons since none of my guns are I scoped so far.

However, if Canada also didn't have a ban on civilians owning anything capable of full automatic, I'd love for the AR to be select fire. Just for the odd time I'd want to have a little fun.

Now as for you Tex, I've got to ask since I've always wondered. What's the difference, aside from price, between a normal xxx and a xxx Ackley Improved?
The 30-06 Ackley Improved has a different shoulder geometry than the 30-06 Springfield. It basically lets you get 100-200 fps more out of your gun. Not sure about other Ackley Improved cartridges.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #2014

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

If you guys could own one gun set up exactly how you want it, what gun would it be and how would it be set up? ( <- gun and attachments would be free)

Here's the catch though, it has to be one you would actually use and afford to shoot......pre-panic of course.
M1A with an 18 inch barrel, and an attached eotech on it. Either that or the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2015
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Everyone needs one of these:

tacticoolar15.jpg

I think there's an AR in there somewhere....

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2016

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:

IHC M1 Garand.. Web sling & M1905/42 bayonet

Well thats not very exciting...

Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #2017

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The 30-06 Ackley Improved has a different shoulder geometry than the 30-06 Springfield. It basically lets you get 100-200 fps more out of your gun. Not sure about other Ackley Improved cartridges.
Pretty much all of the A.I change the shoulder angle (makes it steeper) so you can pack a little more powder in the case... Generally you get a few extra FPS, but can lose some ease in feeding the case (If that matters any... )

Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #2018
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just wondering why there is a 45 second delay between being able to post? Not that it matters, it's just that inquiring minds wanna know...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #2019

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Just wondering why there is a 45 second delay between being able to post? Not that it matters, it's just that inquiring minds wanna know...
Slows down spammers

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #2020
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ahhh................