Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1671
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 699 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 733

How about Sharpening stones?

000_0018-1-.jpg  

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #1672
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Why didn't IH make Jeeps then? Oh. That's right, the contract was up for bid and IH didn't submit a winner. Willys and Ford did though.
IH didn't build JEEPS because they were busy building deuce and a half trucks, weapons carriers and assorted other military vehicles..

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 02-06-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #1673

So, Nothing on the Mauser question.....

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #1674

Liked 2355 Times on 1532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
I got a question... Why is it the Mauser became the standard of bolt actions? Why not the Enfield, Mosin or another rifle? (See, Im having a hard time even naming non-Mausers )
Stabbing in the twilight...Because other companies copied the design, including our govt, who was sued because of it. Because of the battlefield pickups that made it back from the war were numbered.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #1675
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
So, Nothing on the Mauser question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Stabbing in the twilight...Because other companies copied the design, including our govt, who was sued because of it. Because of the battlefield pickups that made it back from the war were numbered.
I'll take a shot at it too.

The Lee-Enfield (MLE) went into service in 1895 (The SMLE went into service in 1907)

The Mosin Nagant went into service in 1891

The Arisaka went into service in 1897

The Mauser had it's beginnings in 1867-1869. The Mauser M1871 (Gewehr 71) went into service in 1871.

So basically, the Mauser was here first. The Mauser action is also more visually appealing then the other bolt action designs. That may of had something to do with it.

Another reason may be because we copied the Mauser when we designed the 1903 Springfield. These eventually made it into civilian hands. There was also a HUGE number of Mausers that ended up in civilian hands too. A LOT of countries used Mausers, so they were everywhere. Compare that to how many different countries used Enfields, Mosins, and Arisakas.

Then again, I'm just speculating.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'll take a shot at it too.

The Lee-Enfield (MLE) went into service in 1895 (The SMLE went into service in 1907)

The Mosin Nagant went into service in 1891

The Arisaka went into service in 1897

The Mauser had it's beginnings in 1867-1869. The Mauser M1871 (Gewehr 71) went into service in 1871.

So basically, the Mauser was here first. The Mauser action is also more visually appealing then the other bolt action designs. That may of had something to do with it.

Another reason may be because we copied the Mauser when we designed the 1903 Springfield. These eventually made it into civilian hands. There was also a HUGE number of Mausers that ended up in civilian hands too. A LOT of countries used Mausers, so they were everywhere. Compare that to how many different countries used Enfields, Mosins, and Arisakas.

Then again, I'm just speculating.
The Arisaka is basically a Mauser design....

I didnt think the Mauser design "as we know it" came until the GEW 98/K98..

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #1677
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7843 Times on 4529 Posts
Likes Given: 10100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
OK, theres no IHC Jeeps, but they did make most the large trucks and tractors....

Could you imagine what a IHC Jeep would be worth if there were one?!!?

Cant seem to find a Ford made gun anywhere...
Other than crop dusting, what would a farmer need with aircraft???
I don't think Ford made any guns, but they did make the Ford Trimotor, which was one of the early commercial airplanes. Ford also produced nearly 100,000 B-24 Liberators, plus tanks, trucks and around a quarter million of the previously mentioned GPW "Jeeps". Ford also produced a few 1966/1967 Broncos for the military (very, very rare indeed these days).

Ford helped tremendously in the war efforts (despite Henry Ford being a racist, anti-Semite and probably a Nazi sympathizer).

The Ford tractors were just as numerous as IH back in the day. Maybe even more so.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #1678

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I don't think Ford made any guns, but they did make the Ford Trimotor, which was one of the early commercial airplanes. Ford also produced nearly 100,000 B-24 Liberators, plus tanks, trucks and around a quarter million of the previously mentioned GPW "Jeeps". Ford also produced a few 1966/1967 Broncos for the military (very, very rare indeed these days).

Ford helped tremendously in the war efforts (despite Henry Ford being a racist, anti-Semite and probably a Nazi sympathizer).

The Ford tractors were just as numerous as IH back in the day. Maybe even more so.
Ford also built a truck (tank) factory for the Russians...

eldar

Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1679

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been seeing a lot of this ammunition shortage issue going on down your guys's way and it got me thinking. I'm not to sure on it, but I'm fairly positive you guys are the main supplier of ammunition of all calibers for us Canadians.

So now I ask this, do you Americans think us Canadians should start stocking up on stuff while its still cheap and available or wait to make sure?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #1680
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I've been seeing a lot of this ammunition shortage issue going on down your guys's way and it got me thinking. I'm not to sure on it, but I'm fairly positive you guys are the main supplier of ammunition of all calibers for us Canadians.

So now I ask this, do you Americans think us Canadians should start stocking up on stuff while its still cheap and available or wait to make sure?
I would stockpile some extra ammo.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly