Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1661
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2365 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

I think it was comparing fuel economy to the Japanese V6 which honestly they get terrible fuel economy. But that want the point...
This is true. My 4 banger yota gets 14-17mpg with 35 in tires

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #1662
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2699 Times on 1585 Posts
Likes Given: 16649

WHY did I not park my wife's car in the "Garage" a week ago !

It's a snow ball !

Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #1663

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

All Ill say is my Scout has been running since 1973.....

Now, what about my Mauser question????

Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #1664
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
We buy eggs from cage free chickens. Taste better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Free range brown eggs! Eat em before they ban em (they are already trying)
"Free range" and "cage free" are really misnomers. The only truly cage free and free range are going to be found at the local farmer's market or the farmer up the road who raises them. This link is probably affiliated with PETA, so the info is terribly biased, but it is based in truth and has a lot of true information (IE- to qualify as free range all a chicken farmer has to do is open a small door for as little as 5 minutes a day, and no birds ever go through it because they are conditioned to stay inside all the time. The areas available to them if they do venture out the door are just grassy strips between the warehouses jam-packed full of chickens). http://www.upc-online.org/freerange.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I buy eggs from the farmer up the road who has a whole flock of chickens. And he's a great guy and fun to talk to for a few minutes when I go to buy the eggs. He keeps trying to sell me chickens. I tell him I'll just come buy the eggs and let him do all the work. Hahahaha
Chickens are pretty fun and quite an interesting hobby if you set them up right. My brother had them at his old house in down town Santa Cruz, they were "free range" in that they could range all over the yard. I clipped their wings so they couldn't fly up on the fence and get out, and he would lock them up at night. Until one night he forgot and raccoons got them. I plan on getting another flock this spring when they come in to the hardware store. Three or four hens is plenty for one person with enough eggs to give or sell to the neighbors. If you get 14 birds you will probably get a dozen eggs a day and you can pay for feed by selling a dozen eggs a day. If you "free range" them in your yard it cuts down significantly on your feed costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I want chickens. So far no home owners association here will let you lol. Oh well.
Screw the HOA. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I know several people who have chickens where they are prohibited and as long as you are a good neighbor, do not have any roosters and keep a clean coop, you can bribe your neighbors with eggs to keep them quiet. Same with bees. I have 15 hives in a yard in downtown Los Gatos where beekeeping is prohibited. I call it Guerilla beekeeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I read something awhile back about the fda or some agency trying to stop the private sale of eggs, meat, vegetables, and raw milk. An expensive license would be needed to be legal. For our own good and all that b.s. Sounds to me like a corporate controlled nanny state.

Attachment 83544

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 02-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Balota Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1665
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19504 Times on 11072 Posts
Likes Given: 49118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
"Free range" and "cage free" are really misnomers. The only truly cage free and free range are going to be found at the local farmer's market or the farmer up the road who raises them. This link is probably affiliated with PETA, so the info is terribly biased, but it is based in truth and has a lot of true information (IE- to qualify as free range all a chicken farmer has to do is open a small door for as little as 5 minutes a day, and no birds ever go through it because they are conditioned to stay inside all the time. The areas available to them if they do venture out the door are just grassy strips between the warehouses jam-packed full of chickens). http://www.upc-online.org/freerange.html

Chickens are pretty fun and quite an interesting hobby if you set them up right. My brother had them at his old house in down town Santa Cruz, they were "free range" in that they could range all over the yard. I clipped their wings so they couldn't fly up on the fence and get out, and he would lock them up at night. Until one night he forgot and raccoons got them. I plan on getting another flock this spring when they come in to the hardware store. Three or four hens is plenty for one person with enough eggs to give or sell to the neighbors. If you get 14 birds you will probably get a dozen eggs a day and you can pay for feed by selling a dozen eggs a day. If you "free range" them in your yard it cuts down significantly on your feed costs.
many years ago my grandmother kept chickens. they had huge chicken coop and also let them run around the yard during the day. owls were the biggest predator they had to worry about, and a hawk every once in a while. she would clip the chicken's wings every so often so they couldn't fly. but what was odd to me was she only clipped one wing, until i asked my granny why. she said by clipping only one wing, it made trying to fly unbalanced for them.

she also let a huge chicken snake stay in the henhouse. i tried to get her to let me get rid of it, but she wouldn't. she said the snake only ate a few eggs every once in while, but kept the rats and mice gone. i tried to tell her she needed a cat, not a snake! i hated snakes and hated running across that chicken snake when i went to gather the eggs. a cat would have been much nicer.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #1666
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Anyone here own a wrangler and get on wranglerforum?
Do you talk about saddles, chaps and roping techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Who made some of those Garands we love so much???

Oh, thats right International Harvester....
Why didn't IH make Jeeps then? Oh. That's right, the contract was up for bid and IH didn't submit a winner. Willys and Ford did though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
While it is NOT a Wrangler, company I worked for had Jeep Liberties as our company vehicles.

MAJOR problems. Had 3 recalls in the first year I had mine- including endearing things like ball joints breaking, causing loss of control while driving. Partner had one that when it rained, would fill the floor pans with 3 inches of water.
Completely different animals. Libertys are not Jeeps, they are the ill-gotten offspring of step-children to the Jeep. (A real Jeep has drain holes in the floor pan from the factory.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
4.0 manual is the only jeep I would own.
Manual trannys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Uh... The suspension falls apart. And they have transmission and drive train problems. That doesn't seem very capable to me. I'd rather have a Landcruiser. That's right. A Toyota. Actually, I'd take a Scout over a Jeep any day of the week and that's saying something.
All were more or less based on the original Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Anyone in there right mind would rather have a land cruiser.
Don't make me get all crazy on you! (OK, I might like a Land Cruiser- but haven't owned one yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i'd even like one of the older Ford Broncos. those things were built Ford tough!
I have one that I have owned for years, and my son recently got one of his own. They are referred to as "Early Broncos" and were produced from 1966-1977.

Quote:
A STOCK jeep has 1/4 ton suspension and and axles so yeah, you can't bolt 37s on and roll but neither can a fj cruiser, landcruiser, Toyota pick up, or any other 1/2 ton or smaller truck. So what do we do? We build them up to handle the abuse.... But a maintained stock wrangler is EASILY a 200k miles vehicle. My argument is that the WRANGLER, not a liberty or compass or any other suv, but a wrangler is the most capable off road mass produced vehicle on the market
A stock Jeep doesn't need all of that crap to go just about anywhere. I have seen bone stock Jeeps on the Rubicon Trail many times. Chrysler frequently uses the Trail as a test track for prototype Jeeps, covering them in fake panels to disguise them.

Quote:
Funny I dont seem to remember another company making all this.....

And I could go on.....
Umm, Ford makes all of that stuff and more. IH never had an Aerospace division, nor did they make any commercial airplanes that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I never said anything about modifying it at all. Stock I believe and have witnessed myself that anything produced by the Chrysler corporation has faulty suspensions and drive trains. I've seen Chrysler mini vans, that have not been abused, with under 100,000 miles with bad transmissions. I've seen a stock 93 Land Cruiser do things off road that a "built" Wrangler can't do.

To each his own, I'm just saying I wouldn't own one...
Its usually the driver.

Quote:
What, have heat n the winter? Lol
Why would anyone need heat in the winter?

Quote:
All Ill say is my Scout has been running since 1973.....
My one Jeep has been running since 1946. My Bronco since 1973. My oldest son has a 1972 Bronco and my 15-year-old son has a 1942 Ford GPW (Jeep) that he is doing a frame-off restoration on.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1667
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7888

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
many years ago my grandmother kept chickens. they had huge chicken coop and also let them run around the yard during the day. owls were the biggest predator they had to worry about, and a hawk every once in a while. she would clip the chicken's wings every so often so they couldn't fly. but what was odd to me was she only clipped one wing, until i asked my granny why. she said by clipping only one wing, it made trying to fly unbalanced for them.

she also let a huge chicken snake stay in the henhouse. i tried to get her to let me get rid of it, but she wouldn't. she said the snake only ate a few eggs every once in while, but kept the rats and mice gone. i tried to tell her she needed a cat, not a snake! i hated snakes and hated running across that chicken snake when i went to gather the eggs. a cat would have been much nicer.
I wouldn't trust a cat around the chickens, either. Cats could seriously maim a chicken, I think.

The farmer I buy eggs from has a HUGE fenced in area in front of the coop. the chickens come out of the coop into the fenced in area. He has netting over the fenced in area to deter flying predators and he has an electric fence running around the perimiter about 6" off the ground and about a foot from the fence to keep the 'coons from climbing in. Like I said, I'm happy to let him do the work and I'll stop by every once in a while, buy a dozen eggs and chat with him for 10 minutes or so.
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1668
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19504 Times on 11072 Posts
Likes Given: 49118

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I wouldn't trust a cat around the chickens, either. Cats could seriously maim a chicken, I think.

The farmer I buy eggs from has a HUGE fenced in area in front of the coop. the chickens come out of the coop into the fenced in area. He has netting over the fenced in area to deter flying predators and he has an electric fence running around the perimiter about 6" off the ground and about a foot from the fence to keep the 'coons from climbing in. Like I said, I'm happy to let him do the work and I'll stop by every once in a while, buy a dozen eggs and chat with him for 10 minutes or so.
yea, but i hate snakes! i would rather pet a cat than a snake!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #1669

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

Never had a issue with a cat and my chickens. They seem to get along great! I let my chickens range in the yard on the nice days of spring summer and fall. Only prob I've had is from stray dogs that tore through the fence and killed my flock and a fox a couple years back ate 3 of my chickens before I could handle the problem. Suck that now with the price of feed its not really worth raising them for eggs. But still a fun hobby and my kid likes his cluck clucks

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1670

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Why didn't IH make Jeeps then? Oh. That's right, the contract was up for bid and IH didn't submit a winner. Willys and Ford did though.
OK, theres no IHC Jeeps, but they did make most the large trucks and tractors....

Could you imagine what a IHC Jeep would be worth if there were one?!!?

Quote:
Umm, Ford makes all of that stuff and more. IH never had an Aerospace division, nor did they make any commercial airplanes that I know of.
Cant seem to find a Ford made gun anywhere...
Other than crop dusting, what would a farmer need with aircraft???