Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #1511
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sirhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Posts: 213
Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Now someone's just being a peter...
Ahhhh you just don't understand science. You probably didn't know that it takes more fuel per mile to drive north than it does south. I took science classes for all 6 Years in high school.
__________________

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

sirhc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #1512
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Ha! You don't know jack, your high school only lasted 6 years!!

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #1513
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,533
Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
I should have been clearer about the size/weight change. It would be tiny.
Well, I know they change size, obviously since water expands when it freezes. That's how you tell it's frozen, the sides bulge besides it's solid as a rock. I was confused because it doesn't make any sense to me that it would be heavier. Technically it should weigh the same amount since the only reason it expands is because there are air molecules between the frozen water molecules, it's not like there is actually more water in there... I understand that, I was just pissed that they were so much heavier (or felt heavier I don't know.). I was also mad that it was so freaking cold. Now I'm going to have to go find a frozen battery and weigh it and get one that isn't and weigh that....
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #1514
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 21,288
Liked 6117 Times on 3706 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I was just pissed that they were so much heavier (or felt heavier I don't know.). I was also mad that it was so freaking cold. Now I'm going to have to go find a frozen battery and weigh it and get one that isn't and weigh that....
Everything is heavier when you're working out in the freezing weather.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #1515
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,143
Liked 2227 Times on 1447 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

Well, I know they change size, obviously since water expands when it freezes. That's how you tell it's frozen, the sides bulge besides it's solid as a rock. I was confused because it doesn't make any sense to me that it would be heavier. Technically it should weigh the same amount since the only reason it expands is because there are air molecules between the frozen water molecules, it's not like there is actually more water in there... I understand that, I was just pissed that they were so much heavier (or felt heavier I don't know.). I was also mad that it was so freaking cold. Now I'm going to have to go find a frozen battery and weigh it and get one that isn't and weigh that....
You'll have to use the same exact battery. There could be minor weight differences in the same model number of battery.
__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #1516
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,533
Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post

You'll have to use the same exact battery. There could be minor weight differences in the same model number of battery.
I know, stupid science...
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #1517
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

You'll have to use the same exact battery. There could be minor weight differences in the same model number of battery.
There could be a major difference, the more plates the higher the amperage. And plate thickness varies between manufactures .
__________________
kycol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #1518
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 21,288
Liked 6117 Times on 3706 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Default

Here's a new question I need an answer to.....

How come we are supposed to take our dogs to the vet every year for shots when in humans, once they receive the series of shots for immunity, they are set for life, pretty much. Sometimes a human's titer will fall but only then will further vaccinations be given. I sometimes think the AVMA is trying to rip us off by setting those guide lines.

__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #1519
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sirhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Posts: 213
Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Here's a new question I need an answer to.....

How come we are supposed to take our dogs to the vet every year for shots when in humans, once they receive the series of shots for immunity, they are set for life, pretty much. Sometimes a human's titer will fall but only then will further vaccinations be given. I sometimes think the AVMA is trying to rip us off by setting those guide lines.
Well you should be getting a tetanus booster every 10 years.
Being that there are 7 to 10 dog years (depending on the breed and size of the dog) in 1 human year they get shots more frequently.
Damn I feel like Mr. SCIENCE! anyone else have any science questions they need answered?
__________________

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

sirhc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #1520
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 21,288
Liked 6117 Times on 3706 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
Well you should be getting a tetanus booster every 10 years.
Being that there are 7 to 10 dog years (depending on the breed and size of the dog) in 1 human year they get shots more frequently.
Damn I feel like Mr. SCIENCE! anyone else have any science questions they need answered?
But even though their life span is shorter than ours it doesn't necessarily mean their immunity dissipates faster than ours. And really, tetanus is one of the few vaccines humans booster. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, whooping cough, etc. rarely need to be boostered.

Sorry, your explanation does not convince me.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Thoughts Thread Dillinger The Club House 34795 Today 01:53 PM
Random Creepy Things Thread. Shihan The Club House 114 06-02-2010 08:17 PM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 06:01 PM
Random question Ubergopher General Rifle Discussion 9 03-11-2010 12:34 AM