Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #1281
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i am sorry winds, i dint mean to rain on your parade.

i will put my own nose in the corner until you say i can come out.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #1282
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have another random question.

I can't complete my garage project until I install some shelves to put things on. I don't have a lot of $$ and the particle board shelves caught my eye. Would particle board shelves be okay to install in a non-heated, unattached garage or will they warp with the weather changes? If they aren't a good choice for this use, what do you all suggest that is pretty darned affordable? I want to mount the shelves on the studs, not free standing shelves.

I was going to buy the shelves today and install them but it's raining and I don't feel like loading shelves in and out of my car in the rain. Looks like inside projects today. I don't know how I ever had time to work. LOL
WOC, what do you plan to put on the shelves? If it's very heavy (like full cans of paint, etc.) then you need some strong bracing. But if it's lighter stuff, you can probably use some of the pre-fab brackets that you can find in hardware at Lowe's etc. Also, how wide do you plan to make the shelves. That affects how you make and install the brackets.

I agree with the others that the particle board is not the best choice. If you have to use that, make sure you paint it well to seal it from moisture. A better choice would be one of the plywoods they've mentioned. Usually the lumber places will cut the plywood for you. Get the width of the brackets you're going to use and have them cut the boards into strips that wide. One sheet of plywood and 3 lengthwise cuts (by them) would give you 32 ft of shelving that's 12" wide. And chances are you can fit it in your car!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #1283
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6111 Times on 3703 Posts
Likes Given: 6914

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
i am sorry winds, i dint mean to rain on your parade.

i will put my own nose in the corner until you say i can come out.
I'm not upset with you. I am upset that I need to do a project I'm not sure I'm fit to do.

It certainly isn't YOUR fault I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned in the past I hate doing home repair jobs and this is exactly why. I am treading into unknown territory. I have attempted projects that I have screwed up royally. Costing me money, time and much frustration.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1284
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
WOC, what do you plan to put on the shelves? If it's very heavy (like full cans of paint, etc.) then you need some strong bracing. But if it's lighter stuff, you can probably use some of the pre-fab brackets that you can find in hardware at Lowe's etc. Also, how wide do you plan to make the shelves. That affects how you make and install the brackets.

I agree with the others that the particle board is not the best choice. If you have to use that, make sure you paint it well to seal it from moisture. A better choice would be one of the plywoods they've mentioned. Usually the lumber places will cut the plywood for you. Get the width of the brackets you're going to use and have them cut the boards into strips that wide. One sheet of plywood and 3 lengthwise cuts (by them) would give you 32 ft of shelving that's 12" wide. And chances are you can fit it in your car!

The shelves will probably bear some heavy weight. I'll see about plywood but someone mentioned heavy duty plastic shelves. I'll go to the home improvement store and throw myself at the mercy of the workers there.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #1285
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

Winds- I got the answer for you! Just stop by a construction site, find a guy with no ring, tell him your situation, and boom! You got a boyfriend and shelves.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #1286

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
Winds- I got the answer for you! Just stop by a construction site, find a guy with no ring, tell him your situation, and boom! You got a boyfriend and shelves.
And construction workers spend a lot of time too tired to cheat!! Total win!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #1287
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And construction workers spend a lot of time too tired to cheat!! Total win!
I thought about hiring a handyman and..........well, never mind. Actually, if I had the money, I was going to call the handyman that put in two entry doors and a storm door for me last year. I can't 'come on' to him, though. (kidding) He is my oldest son's friend who started his own business. He learned from his Dad and I'm telling you, there isn't ANYTHING this guy can't do. He has a wonderful wife and little son and he built all the furniture in his son's room and it's BEAUTIFUL. He can even fix cars, too. When he helped my son move into his new house, we were all sitting around drinking beer and Mike was busy cutting a hole in the wall, putting wire through the walls and mounting my son's flat screen TV. He is an incredible young man.

I trust my men not to cheat. I haven't had a lot of relationships but I've never been cheated on.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #1288
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

That's cuz they know who you hang out with on-line. A bunch of well armed folks that have your back!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #1289

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 578

I have faith in you Winds.... You can do it!

Heres my gunroom I just finished, it was the first time Ive done anything like this... When I started the room was only half-way drywalled, I finished the drywall, taped the seams, textured & painted (Had help with that), and did the wood floor. It isnt perfect, but I like it (was told I should used a bit more mud and sanded my seams, you can sorta see 'em)
The floor scared me a bit, and had me swearing a bit during the first couple of rows, but turned out great!

People Like This 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #1290
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Partcle board is HEAVY- and will sag- from it's own weight. Plywood is better. REAL wood is better yet.

You can take a plywood shelf, add a strip of real wood glued and screwed under the front edge, and make a MUCH more durable shelf. The real wood resists the bending of the plywood.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

dog2000tj Likes This