Random Questions Thread........ - Page 127
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #1261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Wouldn't I need a Mitre saw of some sort? Or at least a mitre box and the ability to use a saw?

I was thinking something like this. Yes, the studs are exposed. I don't mean to whine but you guys kicked me in the butt without even knowing it. I need to toughen up.
No miter saw needed. Use the bracket in the first pic, HD and Lowes sell shelving material in precut lengths. Or just use a handsaw and a square and cut material i the lengths you need.

For a garage I would recommend cdx plywood - cheap and strong, not that pretty though. Another option is look on Craigslist in the free section, you may come across folks discarding wood/pallets/plywood. I built my friend a workshop using reclaimed pallets this past year

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #1262
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

Winds, have you thought of using the wire shelving like is for a closet? Lowe's had the wire shelving and the brackets to mount them.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #1263
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
No miter saw needed. Use the bracket in the first pic, HD and Lowes sell shelving material in precut lengths. Or just use a handsaw and a square and cut material i the lengths you need.

For a garage I would recommend cdx plywood - cheap and strong, not that pretty though. Another option is look on Craigslist in the free section, you may come across folks discarding wood/pallets/plywood. I built my friend a workshop using reclaimed pallets this past year
Good idea. I will look on Craigslist in the free section. Never thought of that. It doesn't have to be pretty. It's the darned garage. You should see the shape it's in now. That garage has been almost totally ignored for a good 10 years. I finally have the time to work on it, along with other house projects I never had time for when I worked full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post
Winds, have you thought of using the wire shelving like is for a closet? Lowe's had the wire shelving and the brackets to mount them.
Yes, I have looked at the wire shelving. I didn't see that it came in the lengths I wanted and I wanted something small items can't fall through.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #1264

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Why under my username it says supporting member and under some usernames it says senoir member. What is the difference?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #1265

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well...
A junior member is a free member and also a noob.
A senior member is a free member who's been around a bit.
A supporting member is a member who's paid.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #1266
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Why under my username it says supporting member and under some usernames it says senoir member. What is the difference?
Senior members did not pay the $15 to become a supporting member. After posting so many posts (I'm not sure what that number is) a junior member becomes a senior member and will remain that way unless he/she chooses to become a Supporting Member.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #1267

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think it's around 120 posts. Not sure though.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #1268

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

trip

AWESOME "tree jedi" pic.........

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #1269

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Thanks for the info Winds and Trip. I have a another question. How long has FTF been up and running?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #1270

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Wouldn't I need a Mitre saw of some sort? Or at least a mitre box and the ability to use a saw?

I was thinking something like this. Yes, the studs are exposed. I don't mean to whine but you guys kicked me in the butt without even knowing it. I need to toughen up.

maybe this will help.

i forgot to add a 4-inch long block of 2 x 4 underneath the support in order to account for the thickness of the horizontal shelf support.

stud shelving.bmp

IMPORTANT: USE 3-INCH SCREWS!!! tip for easy installation, drill some pilot holes into your shelf support system (on a diagonal) and start the screws BEFORE you try and hang it on the wall stud. DO NOT DRILL PILOT HOLES INTO WALL STUD!

MAKE SURE SCREWS ARE TIGHTENED ALL THE WAY........NO GAP BETWEEN SHELVING SUPPORT AND WALL STUD.

screw 1 and 3 together (if you angle 3 just so, you won't have to cut anything off. just leave enough room for your screws to bite into the under piece). then add 2 to the wall stud, put 4 screws into it. 2 @ top and 2 @ bottom. now move the "1 and 3" partial triangle over to the stud, and attach 1 directly to the stud, and attach 3 to the 4-inch block.

do the others the same way (dependin on shelf length), and your shelf support system is complete. now all you have to do is add the "decking (4.)." space it like you want it, and then screw it down to the horizontal support (yellow 1), and add a couple of pieces underneath (5.) in order to keep it from bowing in between shelf supports.
File Type: bmp stud shelving cross supports.bmp (25.5 KB, 15 views)

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-23-2012 at 02:59 AM.