Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #1241
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5519 Times on 2730 Posts
Likes Given: 5866

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have another random question.

I can't complete my garage project until I install some shelves to put things on. I don't have a lot of $$ and the particle board shelves caught my eye. Would particle board shelves be okay to install in a non-heated, unattached garage or will they warp with the weather changes? If they aren't a good choice for this use, what do you all suggest that is pretty darned affordable? I want to mount the shelves on the studs, not free standing shelves.

I was going to buy the shelves today and install them but it's raining and I don't feel like loading shelves in and out of my car in the rain. Looks like inside projects today. I don't know how I ever had time to work. LOL

Im not a fan of particle board but if you use it, your gonna need shelving rails and standards to support it, by that time your into pretty good money. I would go with an interior 5/8" AC Plywood, Lowes will make one cut for free and more if you wink at them nice (That doesnt work for me so I have a table saw).

Have the rip into either 4 ea 11. 3/4" or 3 ea 15 7/8" strips. Screw 2" X 4" cleats horizontally on the wall and another one on the front bottom of each shelf, screw the plywood to the wall cleats and then use 2" X 4" legs to the front of the shelves through the front mounted cleat. The cleats will all be 8' so u dont have to cut them, the legs can be the same length.

Thats the easiest and cheapest method of building semi tough shelves, if u use Treated lumber for the legs, you wont have to worry about them rotting on the bottom.

4ea 11.75" shelves will cost u less than 60 bucks.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #1242

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
I have another random question.

I can't complete my garage project until I install some shelves to put things on. I don't have a lot of $$ and the particle board shelves caught my eye. Would particle board shelves be okay to install in a non-heated, unattached garage or will they warp with the weather changes? If they aren't a good choice for this use, what do you all suggest that is pretty darned affordable? I want to mount the shelves on the studs, not free standing shelves.

I was going to buy the shelves today and install them but it's raining and I don't feel like loading shelves in and out of my car in the rain. Looks like inside projects today. I don't know how I ever had time to work. LOL

you prolly don't want particle board outside, unless it's sealed top and bottom, and every cut. moisture is hell on it.

if you're gonna attach shelving to the garage studs..........again, buy some 2 x 4s and use them to make you some shelves. it's cheaper if you don't buy "pre-cut studs," cuz you get charged for them cuttin it for you and it's only 93 5/8-inches, not 96-inches. buy 8ft or 10ft 2 x 4s, NOT studs. make your shelves like a deck, with slight spaces in-between.

1. dependin on the length of the shelf space you want, cut your 2 x 4s to that length. make sure that you start AND end @ a stud......don't leave ends hangin.
2. then, for EACH stud mount, cut a 2 x 4 to attach on a perpendicular @ the height you want the shelf at. these will go underneath your shelving. measure for 3 1/2-inches for each 2 x 4 width PLUS whatever you choose the spacing to be. that way you can cut your stud mount to the right length without any waste.
3. use your tape measure and measure your height, from floor to top of shelf position, and draw a "square line" across the wide face of the studs. you can use one of the short pieces of 2 x 4 to make this line. make sure it's level, or just EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY angled back towards the stud......keeps stuff from slidin or rollin off the shelf.
4. now line up one of the cut 2 x 4s with your square line, and attach to a stud. you can use nails, but screws are easier and better for one-handed work. use 2 screws on a diagonal when attachin to the stud.
5. now you can measure and cut your diagonal "support" leg(s) for your stud mounts. these will help bare most of the load.
6. the best support angle is 45 degrees, so measure from the end of your stud mount, and approximate a 45 degree angle back to the stud. take your measurement number, transfer to a 2 x 4 and make your cut for the support leg(s).
7. attach the support leg @ the end of you stud mount with one screw, so you can "swing" it back to the stud and make your angle. when you swing it back to the stud, a corner of the support leg will stick up above the top of the stud mount, makin your shelving not sit flush, or makin it unattachable. mark the corner with a pencil, take it loose, and trim it off.
8. after you have mounted the stud mounts and support legs, all that is left to do is lay the 2 x 4 shelving up, and attach to the mounts. if you have any 2 x 4 material left over, you can cut to length, and attach them to the bottom sides of the shelving boards. this keeps individual boards from bowing, because they all bow together as one unit.
9. enjoy your new shelving.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #1243
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6681 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7944

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
The have solutions for that one (Adadictome) nowaday also but me thinks that might be a bit extreme. I suppose other battery powered hardware could be substituted in this case!
Good. Because I'm pretty happy being a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
If you mean particle board by what looks like sawdust, no. The osb, made from 1-3 inch chips is a lot better. Plywood is the best, ask if they have low grade or damaged pieces for $ savings.
Hmmm.......I just came across this. This is about the length I need. Maybe this would be a better choice for a garage.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108041-62348-LO108041_4294857720__?productId=3062909&Ns=p_produ ct_qty_sales_dollar|1

I was looking at this but it does look like sawdust particle board, not chunks.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/shelves-shelving-units/board-shelving/particleboard/5-8-or-3-4-x-11-1-4-x-48-particleboard-shelving/p-1480015-c-9539.htm

Maybe I should opt for the extra cost and get those melamine ones.

I am researching online. I wonder if I go to the store they will have more options. I did see some particle board last night that, when the picture was blow up, it did look like it had big chunks of wood in it. Would that be okay for the garage or should I go with the melamine shelves?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #1244
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Im not a fan of particle board but if you use it, your gonna need shelving rails and standards to support it, by that time your into pretty good money. I would go with an interior 5/8" AC Plywood, Lowes will make one cut for free and more if you wink at them nice (That doesnt work for me so I have a table saw).

Have the rip into either 4 ea 11. 3/4" or 3 ea 15 7/8" strips. Screw 2" X 4" cleats horizontally on the wall and another one on the front bottom of each shelf, screw the plywood to the wall cleats and then use 2" X 4" legs to the front of the shelves through the front mounted cleat. The cleats will all be 8' so u dont have to cut them, the legs can be the same length.

Thats the easiest and cheapest method of building semi tough shelves, if u use Treated lumber for the legs, you wont have to worry about them rotting on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
you prolly don't want particle board outside, unless it's sealed top and bottom, and every cut. moisture is hell on it.

if you're gonna attach shelving to the garage studs..........again, buy some 2 x 4s and use them to make you some shelves. it's cheaper if you don't buy "pre-cut studs," cuz you get charged for them cuttin it for you and it's only 93 5/8-inches, not 96-inches. buy 8ft or 10ft 2 x 4s, NOT studs. make your shelves like a deck, with slight spaces in-between.

1. dependin on the length of the shelf space you want, cut your 2 x 4s to that length.
2. then, for EACH stud mount, cut a 2 x 4 to attach on a perpendicular @ the height you want the shelf at. these will go underneath your shelving. measure for 3 1/2-inches for each 2 x 4 width PLUS whatever you choose the spacing to be. that way you can cut your stud mount to the right length without any waste.
3. use your tape measure and measure your height, from floor to top of shelf position, and draw a "square line" across the wide face of the studs. you can use one of the short pieces of 2 x 4 to make this line. make sure it's level, or just EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY angled back towards the stud......keeps stuff from slidin or rollin off the shelf.
4. now line up one of the cut 2 x 4s with your square line, and attach to a stud. you can use nails, but screws are easier and better for one-handed work. use 2 screws on a diagonal when attachin to the stud.
5. now you can measure and cut your diagonal "support" leg(s) for your stud mounts. these will help bare most of the load.
6. the best support angle is 45 degrees, so measure from the end of your stud mount, and approximate a 45 degree angle back to the stud. take your measurement number, transfer to a 2 x 4 and make your cut for the support leg(s).
7. attach the support leg @ the end of you stud mount with one screw, so you can "swing" it back to the stud and make your angle. when you swing it back to the stud, a corner of the support leg will stick up above the top of the stud mount, makin your shelving not sit flush, or makin it unattachable. mark the corner with a pencil, take it loose, and trim it off.
8. after you have mounted the stud mounts and support legs, all that is left to do is lay the 2 x 4 shelving up, and attach to the mounts. if you have any 2 x 4 material left over, you can cut to length, and attach them to the bottom sides of the shelving boards. this keeps individual boards from bowing, because they all bow together as one unit.
9. enjoy your new shelving.
Geeze, guys. What you post is way beyond what I was going to do or have the skill or tools to do. I have a very nice drill I know how to use. I have a jigsaw that I thought I could use but it scares the hell out of me and I don't have a vise. I was going to buy some shelves and mount them on shelving brackets. There is no way on God's green earth I could do what you posted, UBH.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to do this. *cry*

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-22-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #1245
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Good. Because I'm pretty happy being a woman.

Hmmm.......I just came across this. This is about the length I need. Maybe this would be a better choice for a garage.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108041-62348-LO108041_4294857720__?productId=3062909&Ns=p_produ ct_qty_sales_dollar|1

I was looking at this but it does look like sawdust particle board, not chunks.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/shelves-shelving-units/board-shelving/particleboard/5-8-or-3-4-x-11-1-4-x-48-particleboard-shelving/p-1480015-c-9539.htm

Maybe I should opt for the extra cost and get those melamine ones.

I am researching online. I wonder if I go to the store they will have more options. I did see some particle board last night that, when the picture was blow up, it did look like it had big chunks of wood in it. Would that be okay for the garage or should I go with the melamine shelves?
melamine is particle board with a plastic laminate coating on top, plywood is much better but not as pretty when new.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #1246

Quote:

nowadays, cabinet grade plywood............hell, plywood is kinda pricey, period. if you don't have to buy the whole 4 x 8 foot sheet, then this could be the way to go. but like i posted above, the 2 x4s are cheap, you just have to put a lil TLC and labor into the shelving.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #1247
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Geeze, guys. What you post is way beyond what I was going to do or have the skill to do. I was going to buy some shelves and mount them on shelving brackets. There is no way on God's green earth I could do what you posted, UBH.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to do this. *cry*
U can do it, just a screwgun, a level, a studfinder and a measuring tape, no saw needed when everything is made out of 8' stock, the folks at Lowes will rip the plywood for you ,

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #1248

i made it pretty detailed so it would be right. it's not that difficult a job...........really. if i could draw it out for you, you'd be like, well, s!-!it, that's EASY AS PIE.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #1249
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
melamine is particle board with a plastic laminate coating on top, plywood is much better but not as pretty when new.
Quote:
U can do it, just a screwgun, a level, a studfinder and a measuring tape, no saw needed when everything is made out of 8' stock, the folks at Lowes will rip the plywood for you ,
I couldn't even comprehend what Usebothhands posted. I'm getting a little overwhelmed here.

I thought I could do this but now I'm thinking maybe not. Why couldn't I just get precut shelves and mount them on shelving brackets I screwed into the studs. That's about my ability and I was proud of myself for this but now I'm feeling a little 'inadequate'.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #1250

basically you just make a 2 sided triangle out of 2 x 4s, with the 3rd side being the stud. then mount your 2 x 4 shelving on top of the top side of the triangle.

i am assuming that the studs in the garage/carport are exposed.......not covered with sheetrock or paneling or plywood. if they are covered, then YES, a standard shelving system with the mountin brackets are best.