Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > random fact about yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #651
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
I wasn't trying to compare drag engines to daily drivers.

And I guess we are kinda saying the same thing.
true. a drag car engine is built with a specific goal in mind, to go as quickly as possible in the shortest span of time as possible. a daily driven vehicle is designed (usually!) to used for many years to get a person from point "A" to point "B".

engines today are built with much better materials and to better tolerances. they are operating with much better electronics that aloow them to operate much more efficiently than those in the past. i have seen many old and older engines that had 100's of thousands of miles put on them, just because they were maintained properly and driven with care and not abused.
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #652
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

What are you driving?

I have a friend that builds drag cars, and from talking to him,,, the older engines are just as reliable when running modern fuel. According to him it is a myth that the new dewdads make the engines last longer.
I drive a 93 Toyota Pickup.

Running clean fuel in it has less to do with engine life than proper maintenance but it doesn't hurt.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #653

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I like to stop in at a random rainbow club on karaoke night and sing "uneasy rider 88".
Let me film that... Please.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Last edited by pagj17; 11-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #654

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

true. a drag car engine is built with a specific goal in mind, to go as quickly as possible in the shortest span of time as possible. a daily driven vehicle is designed (usually!) to used for many years to get a person from point "A" to point "B".

engines today are built with much better materials and to better tolerances. they are operating with much better electronics that aloow them to operate much more efficiently than those in the past. i have seen many old and older engines that had 100's of thousands of miles put on them, just because they were maintained properly and driven with care and not abused.
I have very rarely seen a pre eighties engine with more than 100,000 that didn't have some type of overhaul.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I have very rarely seen a pre eighties engine with more than 100,000 that didn't have some type of overhaul.
yes and there was a time when you could overhaul one very cheaply and get more life out of it. i have overhauled many in the past for a few hundred dollars.

now before i would ever consider overhauling or replacing an engine or transmission, i would look at what the vehicle is worth. strictly from a practical viewpoint. if the cost of replacing or overhauling factors in at more than 50% of the estimated value of the vehicle, it might be more cost effective to replace the whole vehicle.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #656
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes and there was a time when you could overhaul one very cheaply and get more life out of it. i have overhauled many in the past for a few hundred dollars.

now before i would ever consider overhauling or replacing an engine or transmission, i would look at what the vehicle is worth. strictly from a practical viewpoint. if the cost of replacing or overhauling factors in at more than 50% of the estimated value of the vehicle, it might be more cost effective to replace the whole vehicle.
I've found that on some vehicles it costs less to buy a reman engine rather than rebuild it yourself...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #657

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Thats why I like my Internationals... both of mine have been running since 1973...

My Scout has been overhauled, but not because it broke.. The previous owner just wanted to soup it up a bit, sent the motor to Clifford Research (6=8!) to be rebuilt, added the power brakes & steering, and bought the SSII kit from the IH dealer.. All of this was done in '77/'78...

As for my '73 pickup, the motor actually outlasted the rest of the truck, it still drove and all but was just worn out, theres no rubber left in the chassis, and it was starting to fall apart... Im currently putting that motor in a "new" truck ( just another IH pickup, thats not so worn out )

From what Ive read, with just the minimum maintenance, its not uncommon for a IH built gas V8 to last 500,000 (the sixes and fours last even longer!!)

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #658

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I've found that on some vehicles it costs less to buy a reman engine rather than rebuild it yourself...
Wish I woulda done that with my Samurai, or better yet, did the VW diesel converison...

Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
that is very true. IMO even if a reman exceeds a certain point in price, sometimes it's just better in the long run ato bit the bullet and buy another vehicle.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #660

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I have a 64 oz mug that i fill with coffee everyday