random fact about yourself - Page 65
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > random fact about yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #641
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7137 Times on 4296 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
many believe lots of stop and go driving of short distances is considered severe driving conditions and needs to be changed earlier than if you did lots of highway driving.

i will say this, that engines run cleaner now due to the electronic engine controls, fuel injection and better emission systems then those of many years ago. they also have better tolerances and oils have improved greatly. and even though i know that, it's still hard for me to let a vehicle of mine go past 3500 miles without changing the oil! some old habits do die hard.
Hmmm..........I will have to be more careful about my oil changing habits. My car is not a new car, it is a 2001. I never considered my driving 'severe' driving but after reading your post I understand.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #642
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Hmmm..........I will have to be more careful about my oil changing habits. My car is not a new car, it is a 2001. I never considered my driving 'severe' driving but after reading your post I understand.
WOC, if you still have the owners manual to your car, look in the back of it and it should tell you what is considered severe driving conditions for it. my recommendation is to use the guidelines in the owners manual as to when to do your oil changes.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #643

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Just don't get caught in the three month lie. You don't see wal- mart throwing there oil away after three months on the shelf.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #644

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
A lot of manufacturers recommend changing it about every 5,000 miles, unless you're a "severe" driver. It's the people selling oil and places like Jiffy Lube that will tell you that you need to change it every 3,000 no matter what.

I change mine between 7-8,000 but I run a synthetic blend.
What are you driving?

Quote:
many believe lots of stop and go driving of short distances is considered severe driving conditions and needs to be changed earlier than if you did lots of highway driving.

i will say this, that engines run cleaner now due to the electronic engine controls, fuel injection and better emission systems then those of many years ago. they also have better tolerances and oils have improved greatly. and even though i know that, it's still hard for me to let a vehicle of mine go past 3500 miles without changing the oil! some old habits do die hard.
I have a friend that builds drag cars, and from talking to him,,, the older engines are just as reliable when running modern fuel. According to him it is a myth that the new dewdads make the engines last longer.
eerr.jpg  

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #645

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

What are you driving?

I have a friend that builds drag cars, and from talking to him,,, the older engines are just as reliable when running modern fuel. According to him it is a myth that the new dewdads make the engines last longer.
I wants it.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #646
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
What are you driving?

a drag car engine isn't used in the same manner as a commuter vehicle. that is definately comparing apples to oranges! most drag car engines have very short lifespans compared to average vehicle that's driven daily.

and it is a proven fact that engines that run more efficiently get better fuel mileage and make more power. and most of the newer electronics just allow the engines to run more effiently than those in the past. the engine computers can change the operating parameters of the engine faster due to changes in operating conditions than the mechanical systems ever could. the computers on newer cars are so many times much more sofisticated than even those on the that flew rockets to the moon.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #647
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7137 Times on 4296 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Quote:
WOC, if you still have the owners manual to your car, look in the back of it and it should tell you what is considered severe driving conditions for it. my recommendation is to use the guidelines in the owners manual as to when to do your oil changes.
I do have the manual and I will see what it says. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #648

Quote:
a drag car engine isn't used in the same manner as a commuter vehicle. that is definately comparing apples to oranges! most drag car engines have very short lifespans compared to average vehicle that's driven daily.

and it is a proven fact that engines that run more efficiently get better fuel mileage and make more power. and most of the newer electronics just allow the engines to run more effiently than those in the past. the engine computers can change the operating parameters of the engine faster due to changes in operating conditions than the mechanical systems ever could. the computers on newer cars are so many times much more sofisticated than even those on the that flew rockets to the moon.
I wasn't trying to compare drag engines to daily drivers.

And I guess we are kinda saying the same thing.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
I wants it.
So does I.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #650

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

When I first started driving, engine overhauls were common. Now the rest of the car isn't worth it to overhaul or replace the engine. Today's engines outlast yesteryears 4 to 1 at least