random fact about yourself - Page 64
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > random fact about yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #631
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

I just talked to a guy that rebuilds engines, and he said he knows who changes their oil and who doesn't. He said regular maintenance usually makes the difference of a top end rebuild, or a complete overhaul.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #632

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
I just talked to a guy that rebuilds engines, and he said he knows who changes their oil and who doesn't. He said regular maintenance usually makes the difference of a top end rebuild, or a complete overhaul.
He's right too. Iv rebuilt several motors. Including the one in my ford. Well I really mic'd the heads but it was still very clean and obvious bc the cylinder walls weren't worn hardly at all. I change the oil in it between 2800 and 3800 depending on what oil I can get ahold of.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #633

Liked 218 Times on 163 Posts

Actually a filter change is much more important than oil change. It is the deposits in the oil that damage. And the new cars that no have the 5w oils is almost water anyway. These muliti viscosity oils like 5 w 30 is a 5w oil with particles in the oil than swell as the temperature rises that gives the illusion of becoming a 30 w oil. The new synthetic oils are a big waist of money to those who change oil every 3000. They were designed to save money in industry where they sample the oil send it off for analysis and only change it when the sample fails.in this same process the can identify if a certain part is about to fail.

And a engine that has run vavleoline oil not changed that often may look a lot better than one that ran with Quaker state changed every 3000.

A am also a believer in Lucas oil treatment, and sticking with one brand of oil only.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #634

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

The manual for mine says every seven K. But I get the oil change warning after about 4500 miles. So I just go by that.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #635

Liked 218 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
The manual for mine says every seven K. But I get the oil change warning after about 4500 miles. So I just go by that.
That warning is programmable but 4500 is good. What really makes me laugh in the 3 month BS they put on that little sticker, hey but it makes them plenty money.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #636

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

When I had my 08 the warning light actually matched the 7000 mile recommendation. I'd heard it was programmable. But didn't figure it would hurt it any.

And you're right. It does make them plenty of money, and they get mad when you tell them they're wrong. Who in their right mind changes the oil in a diesel engine every three thousand miles?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #637

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

I'm changing my oil around 2500-3000 miles. By then the oil is dark, and I've added three quarts. That's with high mileage valvoline. That's why I've been talking to people about rebuilding the engine.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #638
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3379 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I have found them at Walgreen. Check there.

That's good to know as I don't always change mine every 3,000 miles.
A lot of manufacturers recommend changing it about every 5,000 miles, unless you're a "severe" driver. It's the people selling oil and places like Jiffy Lube that will tell you that you need to change it every 3,000 no matter what.

I change mine between 7-8,000 but I run a synthetic blend.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #639
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
A lot of manufacturers recommend changing it about every 5,000 miles, unless you're a "severe" driver. It's the people selling oil and places like Jiffy Lube that will tell you that you need to change it every 3,000 no matter what.

I change mine between 7-8,000 but I run a synthetic blend.
I usually have it changed close to 3,000 miles but there are times I let it go until about 4,500. I drive my car around town and I drive like an old lady.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #640
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I usually have it changed close to 3,000 miles but there are times I let it go until about 4,500. I drive my car around town and I drive like an old lady.
many believe lots of stop and go driving of short distances is considered severe driving conditions and needs to be changed earlier than if you did lots of highway driving.

i will say this, that engines run cleaner now due to the electronic engine controls, fuel injection and better emission systems then those of many years ago. they also have better tolerances and oils have improved greatly. and even though i know that, it's still hard for me to let a vehicle of mine go past 3500 miles without changing the oil! some old habits do die hard.