Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Raised By Hippies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
My guess would be that people got tired of having their windows smashed and their firearms stolen by drug addicts and other sundry losers.
Nope. Not once that I can ever remember. Let me tell you how it was back then. You want my wife? If she'll go with you, you can have her. You touch my truck, my dogs, or my guns and they'll never find your body.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
And coal trucks ALWAYS have the right of way..not because its a law... but because they have bald tires/no brakes, or brakes on fire/and the guys driving them are bat s**t crazy.....
It's the same with pulpwood trucks down here. I once saw a log truck go an extra 75 feet off the brake test rack at the inspection station. The inspector ran outside to slap a pass sticker on it. The pulp mill was our only industry.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #43

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Signs that you were raised in a Military family:

1. Kids refer to Mom as Household 6.

2. On Monday mornings, they are standing in the hall with 2 sheets and a pillow case.

3. Your 14 yr old wants a "high & tight" haircut- but you're not sure it would look good on her.

4. For "Show & Tell", the 9 yr old takes a parachute.

5. Waiting in line at the grocery, your wife "takes a knee".

6. The baby wore woodland pattern camo diapers.

7. Your daughter's eye shadow is light green- and loam.

8. After school snacks involve MRE heaters.

9. Returning from a date, daughter checks in with the Charge of Quarters.

10. While at a restaurant, one of the kids says "Daddy, I need to use the latrine."
Very good!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #44

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Not really talking about pot smokers, more like heroin addicts and meth junkies.
Didnt have those either, the area i grew up, and our property backs up to the Big South Fork National Reserve. Not alot of people, and spread out, but everybody know everybody. Who are you going to steal from....? And why would you anyways,,if you need something just ask...wish it was still that way......

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #45

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
here in Texas, even in the more rural areas, they are not common anymore. many years ago, i thought it strange if a truck didn't have a gun rack!

i still use them from time to time in my trucks, but now they are used as a hat rack! the guns are always out of sight if they are in my trucks.
Times being what they are I don't think I'd want to leave a rifle or shotgun in open view to be stolen. I don't worry as much about gun hating cops as theft.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
And coal trucks ALWAYS have the right of way..not because its a law... but because they have bald tires/no brakes, or brakes on fire/and the guys driving them are bat s**t crazy.....
When I lived in Florida and was running the transportation department for a string of papers in SW FL, I had 2 rules when hiring a new driver.

1. No rock haulers (dump truck drivers) because they had a really big tendency to be bad drivers.

2. No school bus drivers because they tended to be unreliable.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

My parents were bout as country as ya can get. Guns stolen outa a gun rack??? Heck, around here the houses and cars, very seldom were locked. The keys stayed in the ignition, less ya go to a big city. Too young to pitch hay, ya drove the tractor.
Ya get hurt, ya go see granny, she'd patch ya back up.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
My parents were bout as country as ya can get. Guns stolen outa a gun rack??? Heck, around here the houses and cars, very seldom were locked. The keys stayed in the ignition, less ya go to a big city. Too young to pitch hay, ya drove the tractor.
Seems funny now, but we didnt have a mail man. So alot of the women would load up in the church van and go into the big city ( Oneida....lol) every couple weeks to get the mail, and go to the fabric store, and have lunch,etc. It was their big day on the town.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 05-05-2013 at 10:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Yea...lol Then i know you've had a few run ins with the old swing needle and iodine. Dad got real good at it w/ 4 kids.

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #50

Liked 1110 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 276

I am too old to have been "raised" by hippies. My folks were the WWII generation. I will say I lost my shoulder length hair to a Navy boot camp barber.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

winds-of-change Likes This