Raised By Hippies? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Raised By Hippies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
And ..everybody had vehicles with no tags or titles. we drove them all around everywhere, most belonged to dead relatives, Dad used to tell us kids "dont drive uncle Bobby's truck out on the four lane"
"The four lane" and then there was also "the black top".

Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #22

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
And ..everybody had vehicles with no tags or titles. we drove them all around everywhere, most belonged to dead relatives, Dad used to tell us kids "dont drive uncle Bobby's truck out on the four lane"
One thing i dont miss are the snakes..they were an everyday part of life. They were in the barns, under the house (in the house a few times) Kids there are taught young to make alot of noise in the woods, and step on top of everything and look, before you step over it. One way we made spendin money tho..we could go out at night, after a sunny day, the roads will hold heat, the snakes will crawl out onto them to get warm. Smack them with a switch, it will stunn them long enough to cut their head off (i think everybody in Tenn is issued a Buck 110 at birth) and throw them in the bucket. Big John's gas station gave us store credit, $10 a pc for Kingsnakes, and $12 for Timber snakes

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 05-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6888 Times on 3461 Posts
Likes Given: 7474

Try being raised by Cityborn, Ruraficated, Conservative, Redneck, Art and English Teachers! Mom and Dad were truly interesting and rare humans. We had all kinds of rules and regs in the house that were complimentary and some that were contrary to our surroundings and their upbringings. Some might call our household Liberal because of the folks liberal arts backgrounds and strong education influences; Rural because we lived in the boonies, nobody wore shoes unless we were going to school/ work or it was mid winter; Pro America cause the Chickens Foot (Peace Sign) was not allowed in our house ever, Pro 2a cause Mom and Dad had guns and swords and knew how to use them, hip without the Y as we shot our guns while listening to Joan Baez and Bagpipes and non denominational even though we were encouraged to go to church with our friends if we wanted to. It was an interesting upbringing and diverse before diverse was cool!

As many of you pointed out, rural living was different back then. Yes there were lots of guns and knives at school, no they werent used to scare or intimidate ever; guns were in the back windows of PU trucks of teachers and students and knives were used to play mumbly peg during lunch or sharpen a pencil (yes RG, I still have my old Buck knife and its still sharp even if its about 2 oz lighter 40 years later). Mom wouldnt yell at me for driving my Brakeless Minibike 20 miles down the road to go fishing unless I had my school sneakers on or forgot to mow the lawn first! School was our #1 job but opening day of Trout season was always a holiday. Walking barefoot through the barnyard was OK, walking into the house after without cleaning feet off wasnt OK! I could take my .22 out plinking alone at 12 but not with friends unless there was an adult with us. If we wanted anything our nickle allowance wouldnt buy, we had to go out and work for it shoveling sh!t, Baling hay or Babysitting for neighbors.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Being old enough to drive meant you could reach the pedals, and see over the dash at the same time.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6888 Times on 3461 Posts
Likes Given: 7474

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Being old enough to drive meant you could reach the pedals, and see over the dash at the same time.
So true, Chainsaws, open cutter Reel Mowers and Alis Chalmers pigeon toed Tractors were daily parts of our living. Age wasnt a factor at all, mental and physical ability were!

Dont get me wrong, there were some pretty nasty accidents around here by a few people that were marked for life. We were well apprised as kids of why Mrs Ames didnt have an Eye or Mr March was missing an arm, anything with a PTO is dangerous.

I knew that jumping out of the haymow onto a hidden hayfork was a bad idea; when someone says "hold on", that's exactly what they mean; dont worry about the crappy tail hitting you in the face, watch the feet; The cow with the giant crayon hanging down is a bull, dont mess with him ever; never piss on an electric Fence, always hold the grain fork horizontal in the silo just in case you hit a air pocket filled with noxious and deadly gas; Cowsh!t washes off, mistakes dont.

Its sad to think even farmers kids dont know the stuff today we all did when I was young and dumb.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
And does anybody remember gun racks..? I never see them anymore, But growing up in Tenn, they must have been standard equipment, EVERY truck had one...
And it was rarely empty.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
And it was rarely empty.
and most had a rifle and a shotgun in them.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
and most had a rifle and a shotgun in them.
Yup. Mine had a Remington 762 in 30.06 and an Ithaca 12 gauge pump. I loved that Remington. It was surplus from Jacksonville SWAT that I got one heck of a deal on through my local Western Auto.

A word to the wise. NEVER shoot a 30.06 while laying in the bed of a pickup unless you have proper hearing protection. I got a 6 point, but I'm not sure it was worth it.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #29

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

Default Hippies...??

I can assure you of two things.. being the son of an LEO (Daddy was with the SBI)... and an Elementary School teacher (and me and my 2 brothers ALL went through the school she taught at too)... 1) They were not hippies and 2) We didn't get away with $h*t growing up!!

My parents however, were friendly and non-judgemental.... So we did know hippie couples and families. Funny thing... almost all those couples eventually divorced and a lot of the kids wound up either in therapy, rehab... or both.
Not that it's such a bad thing... Some times couples should divorce and people need to be in rehad or therapy...

Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #30

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

Default Hippies part 2...?

OH BTW.... I was a punk rocker (still kept the attitude), and this is usually how my conversations went with the leftover hippies;