Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > <Radio Silence>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default <Radio Silence>

How cool is this?

securedownload.jpg  
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

F/A 18... epic awesome...

Here's a story I've heard. Of course, I've heard it's true, and I've heard it's just a joke. Still. Marine Corps attitude is all over it...

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar . One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill. The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then turned off. Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet (Northrop Grumman aircraft)which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander. The reply came back in true USMC style:

Thank you for your letter. We can now complete the file on this incident.
You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down.

Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot also suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech.

Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.

Thank you for your concern.

Semper Fi

Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #3

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

That's great! Whatever the Iranians send up would be in s***loads of trouble!

-Matt

Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
F/A 18... epic awesome...

Here's a story I've heard. Of course, I've heard it's true, and I've heard it's just a joke. Still. Marine Corps attitude is all over it...

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar . One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill. The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then turned off. Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet (Northrop Grumman aircraft)which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander. The reply came back in true USMC style:

Thank you for your letter. We can now complete the file on this incident.
You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down.

Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot also suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech.

Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.

Thank you for your concern.

Semper Fi
I somehow feel this story wouldnt be very funny if two cops just doing their job were hit by a USMC missile.....
Wonder how they woulda explained that one...

Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Accidents happen. I'm pretty sure it's a joke though. I think it's against some sort of major SOP to fly through populated areas with that kind of armament, without it being a crisis situation.

Obviously they do fly around with major arms, in some places, they have to train somehow, right? I would imagine there are multiple redundant safeguards to keep something like this from happening though.