Raccoons! What to do, what to do??? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Raccoons! What to do, what to do???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #91
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2166 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 12150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
We've had a family of raccoons move into our neighborhood that are tearing everything in the yard up when they are digging for something to eat. We live in a densely populated city subdivision, so shooting the little rascals isn't really a possibility. A couple of these things are bigger than our little foo-foo dogs and my wife is very afraid they will attack her babies when we take them out just before bedtime. They were out in the front yard just this last night when we went out around 10:00pm. This morning the yard is a huge mess from all their pillaging.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to safely get rid of these unwelcomed pests?
Snakedriver, I just had a thought. Do you own a paintball gun? If you do, freeze your paintballs and keep them in the freezer. The next time you see the coons in your back yard, load up and take head shots. Firing a frozen paintball is like firing a high velocity rock, and at bare minimum will stun and injure them enough to be able to finish them off. Still a 3S solution, but it won't PO the neighbors as easily.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #92
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

When I was a kid we had coons getting into the chicken house. I set up an insulated wire grid at the window they were getting in through and another grid on the rooftop they stood on. #1 grid was wired to 110 volt house current and the rooftop grid was grounded. Killed two coons that night. My dad was pissed because I set it all up without telling anybody. I still feel bad to this day about it but I'm not sure why. I probably should have set up an electric fence shock system instead of the electrocution window. I was young and dumb though.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #93

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

A good quality pellet rifle such as a Benjamin Sheridan would definatly do the trick or any other such higher end air gun just make sure its producing enough fps to be effective. I also like the conibear trap idea, if I caught the neighbors cat that would be all the better lol, here in WI we can trap on our own property without the threat of prosecution if we catch the neighbors pets, as the neighbors pets have no business being on my property to begin with. You don't want one of your little ankle biters goin after those coon, I used to coon hunt with hounds in high school and have seen a midsized coon do some fierce damage to the head of a 65 lb hound dog. If you use the option of a baseball bat you will quite possible be risking having a pissed off coon grab you by the leg, I have been chased by them before, they aren't fast but they will do damage. Coons good bbq'd!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #94

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
You need to catch your own pet alligator!

I know there are a bunch of them (alligators) running wild in Gainesville. When we lived there, they (the alligators) would come out at night from the swamps and rivers. So you had to keep your kids inside.

Or maybe you can get a pet boa or anaconda, and raise it to full size! These are popular in Florida too. Illegal, but popular.

My own solution to your problem would be archery.

At 10 yds I can hit a squirrel.

At 20 I can hit a rabbit.

At 30 a deer or anything larger.
just make sure you hit them in the ribs and use a good solid made broadhead. also know that they do turn on the arrow and eat the fletchins/veins

Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

just make sure you hit them in the ribs and use a good solid made broadhead. also know that they do turn on the arrow and eat the fletchins/veins
I only do headshots. After getting three kills with heasdshots my dad told me to shoot them in the vitals, so i aimed for the ribs, and i either missed or the pellet hit a bone before it could do damage. The thing ran across the fence, stopped, fell over the other side, and started SCREAMING. At first i thought it was a little girl, but realized it was the raccoon. It was the most human noise i've ever heard come from an animal. It screamed for at least a minute before it died. Gave me chills. If you aim for the head, the worst that will happen is you miss, and you should be able to do a follow up shot. If you make a mistake aiming for the ribs, the kills wont be as quick.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda

I only do headshots. After getting three kills with heasdshots my dad told me to shoot them in the vitals, so i aimed for the ribs, and i either missed or the pellet hit a bone before it could do damage. The thing ran across the fence, stopped, fell over the other side, and started SCREAMING. At first i thought it was a little girl, but realized it was the raccoon. It was the most human noise i've ever heard come from an animal. It screamed for at least a minute before it died. Gave me chills. If you aim for the head, the worst that will happen is you miss, and you should be able to do a follow up shot. If you make a mistake aiming for the ribs, the kills wont be as quick.
They are w a bow and a good broadhead.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

They are w a bow and a good broadhead.

Im talking about pellet guns, sorry i didnt specify.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #98

Trade the little dogs for a blue tick and give him some practice. Then you can cut down the tree he runs it up and kill it with the axe you use like in "Where the Red Fern Grows"
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda

Im talking about pellet guns, sorry i didnt specify.
If youll read my reply to the one i was quoting youll see i was giving advice for using a bow. As to using a pellet rifle-iv done it but its not ethical to me since the usually dont die quickly. My pump up pellet rifle w the 177 barrel spits out a pellet at 1500 fps if pumped up 30 times(max). 22 barrel it spits one out at 1250 fps at max. So it seems to me that my 22 mag w the suppressor is more ethical.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraywc
Trade the little dogs for a blue tick and give him some practice. Then you can cut down the tree he runs it up and kill it with the axe you use like in "Where the Red Fern Grows"
Thats also a good way to get bitten yourself.

Newest Threads