Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Raccoons! What to do, what to do??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/raccoons-what-do-what-do-55668/)

Snakedriver 01-17-2012 01:29 PM

Raccoons! What to do, what to do???

We've had a family of raccoons move into our neighborhood that are tearing everything in the yard up when they are digging for something to eat. We live in a densely populated city subdivision, so shooting the little rascals isn't really a possibility. A couple of these things are bigger than our little foo-foo dogs and my wife is very afraid they will attack her babies when we take them out just before bedtime. They were out in the front yard just this last night when we went out around 10:00pm. This morning the yard is a huge mess from all their pillaging.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to safely get rid of these unwelcomed pests?

trip286 01-17-2012 01:39 PM

Live traps, you can pick them up at some shelters, hardware stores, some walmarts carry them, co-ops and feedstores. Bait it with table scraps.

You could also call your local animal control, this kind of thing falls into their job description.

winds-of-change 01-17-2012 01:39 PM

I doubt they will attack your dogs. I've had raccoons eating side by side out of the same bowl with my cats and never a fight.

Try some of these options.

Raccoon repellent

vincent 01-17-2012 01:40 PM

When coons tried to get in my back porch, Mama just chased 'em off with a broom...:D Sorry, my impudence is awake before I am this a.m...:rolleyes:

c3shooter 01-17-2012 01:43 PM

Live trap- bait with a can of sardines (unopened, just punctured in a few spots)

Then dispose of racoon with a high enegy pellet rifle to the head.

Under the game laws in most states, it is legal for you to kill them. Illegal to relocate.

Racoons can be extemely destructive, hell on bird nests, carry rabies, WILL kill a dog or cat if so inclined.

jjfuller1 01-17-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 679718)
Live trap- bait with a can of sardines (unopened, just punctured in a few spots)

Under the game laws in most states, it is legal for you to kill them. Illegal to relocate.

Racoons can be extemely destructive, hell on bird nests, carry rabies, WILL kill a dog or cat if so inclined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 679711)
Live traps, you can pick them up at some shelters, hardware stores, some walmarts carry them, co-ops and feedstores. Bait it with table scraps.

You could also call your local animal control, this kind of thing falls into their job description.

just what i was thinking... these are your best options

Snakedriver 01-17-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's why my wife is so afraid for our dogs. One of our friends had an older raccoon go after their little yorkie dog in their yard and it damn near killed the little dog. It had to have hundreds of stitches to patch it back together.

Living in Florida is always an adventure. Now we have to worry about coons along with the gaters, bears, panthers, pythons, possums and armadillos. What's next I wonder?

trip286 01-17-2012 02:05 PM

What's next? Why would you ask such a thing, that's bad luck! But you didn't mention the snake heads and fire ants. It's a prefect environment for piranhas too. Oh, and bull sharks can survive in fresh water, they've been found in the MS river as far north as memphis I hear (I have no confirmation on that one), so they can easily live in your waters. Some have been discovered in Australia surviving something like 3 shark generations in freshwater, never seeing the sea. Yep, the wildlife is gonna get ya!

winds-of-change 01-17-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

I have never seen a coon attack a dog. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen but I've never known it to happen. But I have seen a coon fight when a dog attacked the coon first. And it is FIERCE!!

trip286 01-17-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I have never seen a coon attack a dog. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen but I've never known it to happen. But I have seen a coon fight when a dog attacked the coon first. And it is FIERCE!!

Seen this too, but one thing to remember is that coons are one of the most likely carriers of rabies, and rabies makes animals do some crazy stuff.