Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Rabid Coon? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/rabid-coon-12274/)

bobbyb13 03-27-2009 02:45 PM

Rabid Coon?

I decided to take a walk this morning, since it quit raining. My old dog Jack as company, and the cell phone that my wife insists I have at all times. When I rounded the corner of the tractor shed, Jack is raising heck, and a freaking coon boils out from under some old lumber stacked there. The fight was on. I could not get a shot for fear of hitting Jack. The old hound finaly got a strangle hold on the coon and shook the thing to death, then I shot it with the Buckmark for good measure. Funny how something that lasts probably less than a minute seems like a day. I called the animal warden, he picked up the coon, and I took Jack to the vet. He got chewed up a bit, and his shots are current. They cleaned him up, gave him a booster shot, and told me to keep him in for 15 days, and watch him. I didn't handle Jack or the coon. Already took a shower. Rabies scare the piss outta me. Now I have to wait for a lab report. Reminds a man how fortunate he is to have a good hound, and a firearm.

McNabb11b 03-27-2009 02:50 PM

Sorry for your dog. Good dogs are just another reason why I know that God loves us. I hope all turns out well.

bobbyb13 03-27-2009 02:57 PM

Don't worry to much

[QUOTE=McNabb11b;87697]Sorry for your dog. Good dogs are just another reason why I know that God loves us. I hope all turns out well.[/QUOTE

The old devil is laying on HIS pillow, snoring like a freight train right now.

CA357 03-27-2009 03:21 PM

Jack's a good friend. I hope he stays well.

cpttango30 03-27-2009 03:22 PM

If he is up to date on his shots and you didn't start chewing on him or the dog you should be good to go.

Rabies is no joke. I have delt with it as I was the Rabies Bite control officer for Fort Dix, McGuire AFB and Lakehurts NAS.

I have been shot up a few times with rabies for vaccination. I have seen in person that Rabies makes animals do serious things. I watched a cat defye gravity and run circles around his cage from top to bottom none stop. Talk about fun If I had some stray that bit a person I have to kill it and cut its head off. I would then package it up in a foam cooler and pack ice around it and send it off.

I had 2 seperate cases of it at Fort Dix. 4 people had to go on rabbies shots. Them suckers are no gd joke they hurt.

Keep an eye on old yeller and yourself you never know.

canebrake 03-27-2009 03:29 PM

I think I've got your number bobby!
You're just workin' on getin' back to those therapists! http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ovingthem4.gif

Dillinger 03-27-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyb13 (Post 87695)
Reminds a man how fortunate he is to have a good hound, and a firearm.

No truer words my friend. I am glad that you and the hound appear fine on the surface. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both of you guys...

And what THE HELL is in the water over there? :eek: I immediately demand that bad sh!t stop happening to you and your loved ones!!

Don't make JD angry Fate, you won't like me when I'm angry. :mad:

JD

bobbyb13 03-27-2009 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Dillinger;87716]No truer words my friend. I am glad that you and the hound appear fine on the surface. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both of you guys...

And what THE HELL is in the water over there? :eek: I immediately demand that bad sh!t stop happening to you and your loved ones!!

Don't make JD angry Fate, you won't like me when I'm angry. :mad:

It is all good JD. Living and dying in the country, all my life. Wildlife are the norm. Copperheads, Coons, D@mn coydogs, are normal, same as the deer and bear. The heck of it is I feel much safer, happier, here where I can Whiz off the front porch, without upsetting anyone, than I ever have in suburbia, or the cities with the two legged predators. So, my dear friend do not unleash thy rath upon the little County yet. If I die tomorrow, have a celebration of a life that was loved and enjoyed. I have told the Boys, and my Dear Wife. Shed no tears. Heaven or valhalla must be awsome compared to the life I have been granted. Besides the Ducks got my back.

Dillinger 03-27-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyb13 (Post 87732)
I have told the Boys, and my Dear Wife. Shed no tears. Heaven or valhalla must be awsome compared to the life I have been granted.

Completely understand my friend. I'll raise a glass in your honor and shoot a flaming arrow into the pyre with your men. :D

But HOW MUCH FOR THE DUCK?!?!?!

Benning Boy 03-27-2009 04:35 PM

Between medical issues, coon attacks, and exploding brushfires, maybe you should think about a rabbits foot or something.:)