Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Rabbits eating my spinach!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/rabbits-eating-my-spinach-90844/)

beastmode986 05-17-2013 10:18 PM

Rabbits eating my spinach!!!

I was outside just watering my plants and I noticed that one of my small spinach plants was almost completely gone and my biggest one had a few half eaten leaves on it. Im almost positive it was rabbits. I do have a powerful air rifle and if I see it I will shoot it but then I would have to wait outside for a long time right??? I am also wondering what my other options are?

orangello 05-17-2013 10:19 PM

Live trap and eat the rabbit. You might also dump some human urine around the garden to mark your territory.

beastmode986 05-17-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1249960)
Live trap and eat the rabbit. You might also dump some human urine around the garden to mark your territory.

You cant be serious about the urine thing ? Lol and how would I know if the rabbit is safe to eat ???

25-5 05-17-2013 10:39 PM

Urine does work. Just don't whip it out in the garden. Fill a cup indoors. I don't eat rabbit until after the winter kill. And only contwy wabbit!

Sniper03 05-17-2013 10:46 PM

Also I have heard one can go to the Farm Bureau Co-Op or farm supply store and get dried blood to sprinkle around your gardens edge to protect plants! I was advised it works for Deer also.

dango 05-17-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1249960)

Make that wood-ash and urine , also good for the soil..!

c3shooter 05-17-2013 11:03 PM

Just do not pee on your plants. Seriously, will burn them.

Look, you are a meat eater, right? Meat eaters produce more ammonia in the urine (from pulling nitrogen out of your blood from the meat you ate)

Animals like bunnies have learned to avoid things that eat meat.

Would not eat bunnies this time of year if I had a choice. Pregnant/ parasites.

You can also hit the dollar store for a bottle of ammonia. Stand bottle upright in shallow hole, put a couple of nail holes in the UPPER shoulder of bottle. Not to let liquid ammonia out- to let the SMELL out.

And yes, you will be sitting outside a long time (as Sensei would say, "Learn sit like ROCK!") at dusk and at dawn.

racer_x 05-17-2013 11:17 PM

Got to many many dogs around here for the rabits, they dont stand much of a chance.
Ill end up with a rope about knee high a bit higher with white bags tied about every 3 feet, keep the deer out.
But no worrys with that till dead of sumer when they cant find much green to eat.

HockaLouis 05-17-2013 11:38 PM

I urinate around the yard too. It works very well. No rabbits. 'course I don't have a garden either...

Carrots -- tell him he wants carrots and spinach is for Popeye.

AR10 05-18-2013 12:27 AM

Plant enough for all natures creatures, your family, and the creatures that really own your yard.