Quitting smoking - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Quitting smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
Holy crap this sucks it's so hard me and my wife quit for like 3 months and then started back up and now were trying to quit again I forgot how much it sucks at first FML I can't wait untile it's at the point where it doesn't bother me anymore and I can breathe better
Just keep at it, and Good Luck !....................

Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #32
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1373 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
It ain't easy but it turns out the only way to reduce the craving to smoke is to quit smoking. Each fag reinforces the need for the next one.

For the longest time, I thought I'd have to get my throat surgically cut to quit smoking. Y'now, so the smoke would leak out the side? Maybe not, but it's only been 7 months so the jury's still out on that one.

One 1/2 day at a time.
Been over 20 years and I still get the occasional craving especially at a party where I might be drinking. Problem is after 20 years of not smoking cigarettes the first puff makes me sick, which keeps me from taking that second puff and the third etc.

I still smoke a cigar or two a month in the summer, but every cigarette I have smoked since 1992 has made me sick.( I think there were 6 of them. lol)

Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #33

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

well, you could do like me and wait until you damn near die from a heart attack - at 40 nonetheless! but do you think that was enough to stop me? NO WAY I am not a quitter lol. If I had arrived at the hospital ten minutes later, I would have been DOA they tell me......that was a little over 9 years ago

I knew I had to. Took a while longer but now it's been years. A good life-or-death scare will do that to you. (if you need additional motivation, go to the cancer ward and observe the lung cancer patients)

Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
well, you could do like me and wait until you damn near die from a heart attack - at 40 nonetheless! but do you think that was enough to stop me? NO WAY I am not a quitter lol. If I had arrived at the hospital ten minutes later, I would have been DOA they tell me......that was a little over 9 years ago

I knew I had to. Took a while longer but now it's been years. A good life-or-death scare will do that to you. (if you need additional motivation, go to the cancer ward and observe the lung cancer patients)
my dad has copd, he has had a few near death experiences and it doesn't keep him from smoking. He has cut way back though but not entirely. He hides it but when he gets busted he insists that the little bit he smokes isn't gonna do any harm which we all know is very untrue.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

After a bout with a severe case of pneumonia, that caused me coughing fits so bad I couldn't catch my breath .... and ended up in the hospital for 5 days .... I finally saw a C-T scan of my lungs, courtesy of my doctor. The upper quarter of both are FUBAR .... emphysema. I smoked for nearly 50 years, on and off, and now, since July, I have quit. I guess seeing the damage to my lungs put "The Fear of God" in me (not to mention a couple of hundred dollars of prescriptions for those "breathing" meds), giving me the resolve to quit. Fear is a great motivator, especially when it comes to whether or not you can breathe.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Thank you for all of your support guys and gals I think the turning point for me was when I was hospitalized for anemia I sat outside and smoked with a guy with a trachea now I use to have a trachea but I never smoked when I had it it is weird seeing that. And I have enough health problems as it is with my stomach

Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I smoked "Lucky Strikes" for around 20 years before switching to a pipe and smoked "Borkum Riff" tobacco for another 30 years. A little over a year and a half ago I had to have an operation called Lumbar Fusion done to my back. Before the operation I was in so much pain I almost couldn't fuction. The Dr. that did the surgery told me that if I quit smoking I would heal better and faster. That sounded like a no brainer to me. I haven't lit up since he spoke those words. I think about it once in a while but when I do I just have a couple of bite size Snickers and I'm good to go plus I have more money to spend on guns.

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuckatello View Post
After a bout with a severe case of pneumonia, that caused me coughing fits so bad I couldn't catch my breath .... and ended up in the hospital for 5 days .... I finally saw a C-T scan of my lungs, courtesy of my doctor. The upper quarter of both are FUBAR .... emphysema. I smoked for nearly 50 years, on and off, and now, since July, I have quit. I guess seeing the damage to my lungs put "The Fear of God" in me (not to mention a couple of hundred dollars of prescriptions for those "breathing" meds), giving me the resolve to quit. Fear is a great motivator, especially when it comes to whether or not you can breathe.
my old mad has to take breathing treatments multiple times a day along with a few pills for the rest of his life. Not cheap at all. He hasn't been able to work for years, runs out of breath just goin out to check the mail

Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #39
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Start chewing tobacco. It will give you the nicotine you want, but it is sooooo socially unacceptable anywhere and messy that you will have much less trouble leaving it behind. You will also develop a fear of leaving random coke bottles about.
It's also far more addictive.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
my old mad has to take breathing treatments multiple times a day along with a few pills for the rest of his life. Not cheap at all. He hasn't been able to work for years, runs out of breath just goin out to check the mail
For the last 8 years I worked at a remote site that sat basically at 5,547 feet ASL. I wondered all that time why, when I'd do a little physical work I'd be out of breath quickly, not to mention feeling somewhat light headed on the flights up and back daily. After seeing the damage to my lungs, I now KNOW why. The meds for breathing problems are NOT cheap, which is another reason for me to have quit smoking. I'm retired and on limited income so extra expenses for meds is NOT something I wish to deal with.