Quit Smoking support thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Quit Smoking support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

SS you need more PT son!! Seriously, watch your diet, try to stay away from the fast food. Do more PT. Eat all the meat and vegetables you want, restrict your starches, cut down on your carbs and do more PT include weight training and cardio workouts. Drink alot of water throughout the day and do more PT. Diet and exercise will do it.

ADDED: Looks like you beat me posting Dunner, good advice too.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 08-17-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Added update

Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Dunerunner, I'll use some of that advice too.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #23

What does PT stand for, Jack?

I rarely eat fast food, in case it looks like I do. I did when I was in college, but since the end of May, I havent eaten it once. I eat chicken, steak or pasta for dinner, on most nights. We'll have th occasional hotdog/burgers or pork chops. We have a garden with lots of veggies. My mom is learning to can stuff, so alot of veggies will be frozen. I've been trying to find work, which only seems to be manual, hard work. [Which is a plus!] I just drink alot of soda, which I need to cut down on!

Thanks guys!

S.S.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #24

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

You guys may not want to here this but go and get your self a weight watchers Cook book.

I am struggling with my weight as well as fighting weight gain on my wife and daughter. She has some underlying issues as to her weight gain that I will not discuss here.

You don't have to do the weight watchers points just cook out of the cook book and do some PT (Both of which I lack the self discipline to do). I need to get better at it and I know that.

realizing you have a problem is 50% of the battle. I have battled weight problems my entire life almost. in 6th 7th and 8th grade I played football that had a weight limit. I was eating next to nothing to stay in my weight class. Then on top of that I would run 6 to 7 miles a day with a trash bag on to cut weight. I think that helped make me fat now. It was a pain and I have had an aversion ever since then.

Protein veggies and fruit. Carbs are evil carbs are bad. Carbs taste good but leave you hungry after an hour or two.

I am lucky my mom teaches weight watchers so when new cook book comes out I get a free copy. I think I have just about all of them. I need to start cooking out of them more. You don't even have to do that.

Look I got nailed for speeding (95 in a 65) lost my lic for 30 days and had it restricted for 60 more. In that time I didn't drive all over like I did so it cut my fast food intake in 1/2 I lost 15# in a matter of a few weeks.

One thing that I have done to help is switch to Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If I do anything that requires oil I sub in olive oil it is much more healthy for you than both corn or veggie oil....

Amazon.com: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook (9780470170014): Weight Watchers: Books

Amazon.com: Weight Watchers Slim Ways: Mexican (Weight Watcher's Library Series) (9780028603841): Weight Watchers: Books

PT does not have to be horrible running and walking in circles around a track.

DO you have a GPS receiver? If so start geocaching, it is so much fun and if you are in a good area like where I am at there are caches all over the place. My wife can not make the long treks yet so I take the kids and we go after the ones where you have to walk from .2 to 1 mile or more.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

My kids will ask how far was that dad I say that was about 1 mile and they argue with me saying that it was only like 1/2 a mile or less.

STOP drinking soda just stop drinking it at all. I am now fighting the soda monster. I figured out that 1 20oz mt Dew a day was like drinking 2 extra meals in a week.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
What does PT stand for, Jack?
S.S.
PT stands for Physical Training, army abbreviation description. It sounds like you are trying SS, but it all boils down to a simple equation: calories taken in must be less than calories burned off through exercise daily. Also as mentioned, you gotta stop drinking that soda, and if you must have it, at least switch to a diet soda.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #26

S'all good Tango. I wouldn't want you to hold back because of what we didnt want to hear! I wouldn't have brought it up if I didnt want proper help.

I'm not skinny. I'm aware of it, thus why I'm asking you smart men for advice

Jack-I'm trying to get used to diet mountain dew. Its a little different, but not too bad. Story Time. During college, Subway was about a mile from campus. It was right down the road. I walked there [and back] at least 2 times a week. Over the past couple months, I've been helping my mom in the garden. Thats not easy work in 80 degrees + humidity! So, I'm not COMPLETELY lazy. I worked a few days at the bottle redemption center. Thats more hardwork than my old farm job!

S.S.

Last edited by Shotgun Shooter; 08-17-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #27

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Here is one I forgot.

Go to wal-mart and spend $5 on a pedometer. Wear it all day every day and keep track of your steps. Try to increase your steps each week.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 AM   #28

I'll be at Walmart tomorrow. Cashing a check and picking up some ammo. Would those be in the pharmacy section?

S.S.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
I'll be at Walmart tomorrow. Cashing a check and picking up some ammo. Would those be in the pharmacy section?

S.S.
Sporting Goods.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #30

Oh good! I'll be in that section.

thanks for the advice guys!
I've been trying to lose weight for a while..its no easy task, similar to quit smoking!
I got offered 100 bucks per month to quit smoking, but I couldnt do it. I need to do it on my own.

S.S.