Quit Smoking support thread - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Quit Smoking support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Danke schon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

All I can say is don't be a hero if you need the patch, gum, lozenge what ever you need get it.

I tried cold turkey didn't work.

If you can get some chantix. Chantix helps to rid your body of the nicotine by binding with it and moving it to your kidneys I believe. don't quote me on that though.

I quite Late July early August of last year.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm teetering on the verge of quitting. I will use this thread as extra motivation. CA, we are all here for you. You have friends that you have never even met. Keep that in mind, brother.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

How much are you guys paying for a pack of smokes? My exwife said they were paying $7 a pack for Marlboro Red.

2 packs a day = $14 a day +Tax Seeing as tax varies I will not enclude that.

365*2= 730 packs a year

$7 *730= $5110 +tax in a year.

That is 2 Nighthawk Talon 5" pistol with $10 left over from a year of not smoking. If you take that $14 every day and bank it in a jar or even in a super secrete savings account.

I am thinking that on my two year aniversiry from smoking I am going to get a rifle built. Surgeon action in 6mm dasher kreiger barrel McMillian A-5 stock and a Nightforce scope.

Or

the same thing in 6.5-284 for F-class.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #15

I buy cigarettes from Indian Reservations. 27 bucks per 10 packs.[ 2.70 per pack]

I usually only need a carton per month.

S.S.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've been cutting down and have been taking Chantix for almost two weeks. I'm pretty much ready to give it up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #17

Anyone have some fat guy health tips? Because other than smoking, I have a slight weight problem. Okay, so its more than a "slight" weight problem.

A preview of the fattiness.

S.S.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Eat lots of fruit and drink lots of water. You can also drink lots of natural/unsweetened juices. Lots of time when we think we're hungry, we're actually just thirsty. Adding daily walks to your routine will help.

I'm not particularly overweight, but I've been so concerned with my wife, that I've let myself go and have been getting soft. My waist has expanded two or three inches.

On quit day I'll start my day with prayer and meditation and a cup of coffee as usual, but I'll also resume my old routine of morning exercise and afternoon walking.

You can do it SS. We'll support each other.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #19

Sounds good!
We have a basketball hoop, brand new one, that barely get uses. So, I guess I can go out there for a few hours a day.
My mom spoils me with soda.

S.S.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Exercise:

Running will take weight off you like a hot knife through butter. If you cannot run now, walk a mile every day until you can run short bursts and walk. After time you will find yourself pushing to run further. Establish a goal, "I'm going to run the next phone pole then walk two, etc." Swimming is good too but not in a hot pool and it takes an hour longer to get the desired effect.

Get two 10# hand weights and do curls, presses, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, flies, bench press and squats with them. Squats are extremely important as the muscles used are the largest in the body and as you stress them it creates a systemic effect. You will graduate to 25#, then 40# weights for squats, but never over 15's for shoulder work. Always, Always do the strength training after your aerobics.

Try to do 5 - 10 abbreviated sit-ups every day, then increase the repetitions until you reach 100. Raise yourself just enough to get your shoulders off the floor and no more. Do a set of 5 - 10 leg raises every day, lifting both legs 4" off the deck and count one one thousand, two one thousand and repeat. As with the abbreviated sit-ups, increase the repetitions slowly until you reach 100.

Diet:

Focus your diet on fresh fruits and vegetables, as many as you like. Try to take in as much fiber as possible as part of your food, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc. Refrain from red meat and choose white meat turkey breast, Chicken breast, Tuna and fish most often. An occasional hamburger or steak won't hurt you but no more frequently than twice a month. Make it a treat. No deep fried food. No fast food. No candy, eat an apple or orange, carrots and celery or make yourself a salad. No soft drinks other than diet, because they taste like sh!t. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water, at least eight 16 oz. glasses every day. Get a Britta water pitcher you can keep in the frig.. It will make the water taste better. Buy a water bottle and take it with you everywhere you go to work, when you run, when you go to friends, everywhere.

Your weight is not an issue as you will be replacing fat with muscle which is more dense, therefor you will start to slim up but your weight may not change very dramatically after the first drop of 5 - 10 perhaps even 20 pounds.

Start slowly and for God sake if you have any health issues, see a doctor before doing anything!! Remember nothing happens overnight!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 08-17-2009 at 04:24 AM.