Quick question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Quick question

Could one could add a suppresor to the end of a stabilizer or vice versa?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What do you mean "stabilizer"?
And it's not easy just to slap on a suppressor, there are laws you have to follow, fees to be paid, stacks of paper work for fill out, mental health exams, IQ tests, rectal exams, dental molds, DNA and sperm banking, DMV checks, finger printing, hygiene inspections (didya wipe good?) so on and so forth.

I'm kidding. There are laws to follow though and some fees to be paid just to obtain one.

Beyond that, assuming you've jumped through the hoops and rode in the dog and pony show, and have legally obtained a suppressor, what's a stabilizer? And what kind of weapon?

Stop on by the intro section to introduce yourself when you get a chance, we generally are more friendly with folks we get to know a little! This is a great site, with a lot of good information on many different subjects, some pretty friendly people who like to razz each other and have a good time, and share experiences of the world.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

i'll definately have to do that!
And stabilizers are systems (usually built into the barrel) to help reduce recoil. Fairly pricey but a great idea for someone looking to make a .357 kick more like a standard 9mm

Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #4

Oh, your talking about a compensator. Many of those are screw on, and if you have a screw on one, you may be able to screw it off and screw a suppressor directly onto the barrel in its place, depending on the specifics of the product you get.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

Yep! i'm wondering if i could use both a suppresor and a stabilizer at the same time though.. i would assume that i could have a custom compensator built into the end of a suppresor but i'd hate to spend the resources and find it doesn't work as planned

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure that they would defeat each other's purpose.
A compensator reduces recoil by redirecting the escaping muzzle gasses in a manner to not allow the rifle to just slam straight back into your shoulder, or to reduce muzzle climb by directing the escaping gasses upwards, thereby forcing the muzzle down.
A suppressor acts by containing as much of those gasses as possible, and dissipating them in an entirely different way to reduce the report of a weapon being fired. Works much the same way as the muffler on your car.

And just as with the exhaust system on a car, if there are holes in the pipe before the muffler, then the muffler can't do it's job. And if there are holes in the pipe after the muffler, they don't matter as the muffler's already done it's job.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyrebel View Post
Yep! i'm wondering if i could use both a suppresor and a stabilizer at the same time though.. i would assume that i could have a custom compensator built into the end of a suppresor but i'd hate to spend the resources and find it doesn't work as planned
welllll it doesnt work that way. the way a compensator works is by directing gasses from the fired round to the rear and either left or right depending on the twist of the barrel. since its the explosive gasses going boom that suppressors work on its like drilling a bunch of holes in the exhaust pipe between your engine and the muffler kinda defeats the purpose.

however all that being said there is an interesting effect of suppressors. they also act as a compensator in that they eliminate muzzle jump effectively acting like a compensator. so putting a compensator on a suppressed firearm doesnt work the way your thinking.

now that i have said that... there ARE quick detach suppressors that slip on a compensator flash hider or muzzle brake. surefire is one company that produces suppressors that slip onto their own brand of hiders and brakes

hope that helps

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

i suppose you've made a good point.. i would still like to try a stabilizer, even if only a 3/4 inch, but i'm afraid that if the dumbed down explanation is accurate that it would be a complete waste of money.
Thank you for your help, comrade! May i ask where you've acquired your knowledge? It's hard to find people with good, general knowledge

Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

welllll it doesnt work that way. the way a compensator works is by directing gasses from the fired round to the rear and either left or right depending on the twist of the barrel. since its the explosive gasses going boom that suppressors work on its like drilling a bunch of holes in the exhaust pipe between your engine and the muffler kinda defeats the purpose.

however all that being said there is an interesting effect of suppressors. they also act as a compensator in that they eliminate muzzle jump effectively acting like a compensator. so putting a compensator on a suppressed firearm doesnt work the way your thinking.

now that i have said that... there ARE quick detach suppressors that slip on a compensator flash hider or muzzle brake. surefire is one company that produces suppressors that slip onto their own brand of hiders and brakes

hope that helps
And thank you for the direction, i'll have to look into surefire

Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Surefire company is on the list of lobbyist that supported mdaa. So buy all of their overpriced crap you want. Just know that a portion of your dollar is spent trying to imprison you. Nothing says irony like useing someones own resources against themselves.

NEVER FORGET