quick check-in
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > quick check-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default quick check-in

Hey you guys!

been AWOL from FTF for a while now...had a disc in my back kinda uh, 'fail' the other week, so my sitting time is limited atm. Just wanted to check in and say gidday, haven't fallen off the far edge of the earth down here etc etc

Bit of local 'colour' to make up for my absence. Our fair land not only has marauding animals, but it seems the plants are out to getchya too:

Farmers' hairy panic

By Malcolm Holland, The Daily Telegraph

April 28, 2010 8:35AM

IT HAS besieged homes, piled up high against fences, blocked back roads and even sparked bush folklore of children being lost in the stuff.

This is hairy panic grass, which has inundated parts of Wagga Wagga and Riverina areas because of drought-breaking rain.

The native grass has now germinated and is setting its seeds as it is blown across the area by autumn winds.

"I've been in the Wagga area for more than 60 years and never seen it this bad,'' Brucedale farmer Jeff Newman said. "I remember stories of parents losing their kids between the house and the car there was so much grass up against their home, but this year is amazing.

"We were coming back from Anzac Day and got home and there was so much of it piled against the porch and door it was hard to get to the door. It wasn't there when we left. On some back roads it's piled up so high it looks like snowdrifts. And it's so light you can't sweep it away or burn it, you have to pile it into bags.''

Mr Newman said the weed had been almost absent from the area for four or five years, but boomed after rain in March. The explosion was helped by some paddocks being almost abandoned by farmers during the drought.

While it can be good fodder in moderation when it has just sprouted, it can also be deadly, an Industry and Investment NSW spokeswoman said.

If sheep eat too much, particularly young sheep, it can cause serious, bizarre and sometimes fatal reactions.

The grass contains a toxin which blocks bile ducts and makes sheep sun sensitive, causing what is known as "yellow big head'' as exposed skin swells.

A grazier near Horsham in western Victoria lost 100 lambs in a day because they ate too much of the grass.

Farmers' hairy panic as drought-breaking rain sprouts a sheep-killing grass | The Daily Telegraph

Will be around to annoy you all as mobility permits...you don't get rid of me that fast heh

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Welcome back

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #3

Liked 765 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Hey you guys!

been AWOL from FTF for a while now...had a disc in my back kinda uh, 'fail' the other week, so my sitting time is limited atm. Just wanted to check in and say gidday, haven't fallen off the far edge of the earth down here etc etc

Bit of local 'colour' to make up for my absence. Our fair land not only has marauding animals, but it seems the plants are out to getchya too:

Farmers' hairy panic

Not surprised that you have something called Hairy Panic grass, not even surprised that it is toxic and causes "Yellow Big Head" in sheep, since everything in Australia seems to be able to kill you, but Wagga Wagga...you made that up.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hope you're feeling better. We have a similar problem here in the U.S., you have a grass that can be toxic and hazardous, we have a half a%$^d president and administration that is toxic and slowly putting the country to death.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome back Zhuk, hope ya get to feeling better and healing up with your back problems and all.

As for the Farmers' Hairy panic.......interesting, I thought you ment something else!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

^^^ Jack hears "hair" and he comes a-runnin'.

That is some crazy shat, Zhuk. Friggin Austrailia....no wonder the Brits decided to stay away and make criminal deposits there. I wanna visit someday.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
...but Wagga Wagga...you made that up.
Nope. It's a city in New South Wales, Australia.

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hope the back feels better. I too suffer from a back injury, try not to let it get me down. Hope ya dont get lost in those weeds, I thought tumble weeds on the flight line were bad, that stuff has to suck.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm sorry you're hurting friend. Good to see you here though.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Nope. It's a city in New South Wales, Australia.

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey thanks guys for the kind words on what I now call "the back situation" - it certainly does suck! I'm rationing my sitting time atm so posting will be of the 'hit-n-run' variety for a while

As for Wagga Wagga - double-barelled place names are usually of Aboriginal origin, they are an 'intensifier' ie "Wagga" means crows, so Wagga Wagga means place of many crows (which I can quite imagine, being out in Woop Woop* - hey there's another one lol)

[*woop woop = relatively unimportant country town, originated from the peculiar sound (‘wop-wop, wop-wop’) caused by the picker-up running up and down a shearing shed carrying fleeces to the wool tables during shearing time]

There are a whole lot of them: Wapedia - Wiki: List of Australian repeated place names

But no one has been able to solve the mystery of why Wagga Wagga can be known as 'Wagga' but Woy Woy never just as 'Woy'

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D