Questions for a World Record Holder?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Questions for a World Record Holder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Questions for a World Record Holder?

So, I have a good line on an interview with a guy who holds, or at least the last time I talked to him, the World Records at both 600 yards and 1,000 yards in a benchrest category that I believe to be "limited gun" - meaning the weight of the gun is specific.

He gets work done at our shop and he also happens to be the man that hired me for my current day job. His name is Don Rose and he shoots out of Eatonville Washington where he is a scourge of the benchrest competitions.

The guy is pretty humble, and doesn't like a lot of publicity, but I have talked to him about giving some info about his shooting rig and his practice sessions, that sort of thing. He hasn't yet agreed, but he said that he was interested and wanted to see some of my work first... LOL

So, assuming I can bend his arm and get him to speak on the record about long distance shooting, are there any questions that you would like to ask a guy who has two World Records to his credit?

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey JD - great idea! I for one would love to know how a professional "breathes" and at what point during the aiming/breathing process he squeezes the trigger.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #3

I bet I can answer that one RL .

If you start paying close attention to how you body reacts you will notice that the best time to fire is is that brief instant between inhaling an exhaling .

As you breath your chest moves by either expanding or contracting and since your arms are tucked into your body they also slightly move .

In that one brief instant everything is motionless which is what you desire for an accurate shot .

Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I bet I can answer that one RL .

If you start paying close attention to how you body reacts you will notice that the best time to fire is is that brief instant between inhaling an exhaling .

As you breath your chest moves by either expanding or contracting and since your arms are tucked into your body they also slightly move .

In that one brief instant everything is motionless which is what you desire for an accurate shot .
Thanks Big001 - that's what they taught me in the Corp. and from what I remember it worked pretty well back then at 500yds even! These day's it doesn't work as well for me for some reason - I have gotten into the habit of squeezing at the end of my exhalation. Of course now I use scopes, and back then I didn't. Using a high power scope makes every breath look like an earthquake. With the scope set on 24x, if I waited for mybreathing/ heartbeat to calm down I'd still be sitting at the bench the next day! I shoot better with the scope on the midrange setting - it must be psychological...If I could just stop breathing....

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-23-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

RL this is just a combination of speculation , opinion and to a small degree experience here so feel free to tell me I'm way off base , but could it be you've chosen the wrong equipment for precision shooting ?

I'm thinking you're trying to make up for lack of target picture due to the long ranges you're shooting at and you've actually aggravated the problem due to the overly thick reticles that seem to be in vogue for the last few decades .

I'm thinking you would be better served with either an extremely fine plex or perhaps what I see is called the Germen Plex , It has two horizontal half lines rather than one that goes totally across your FOV and one half vertical one that you use in a 6 O clock position to the target .

Something like these might give you a improved target picture by not obscuring so much of your point of impact and reduce the need for a high magnification setting .

Just my pure opinion here but I think the reticles took a turn away from precision shooting as the craze for Illuminated ones started and they had to make them heavy to make illuminating them of any value to the shooter .

There was an article that dealt with this subject years ago and in it they stated that with most of the reticles people didn't realize that when they took aim at 100 yards the section where the two lines would intersect it would actually cover about an 6 inch circle of their intended target .

That doesn't sound like a scope for precise shooting at long ranges to me .

Then again perhaps I am just babbling but have found a question for JD in doing so .

What scopes and magnification powers and type of plexes do they use for extreme shooting ?

Last edited by BigO01; 07-23-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Breathing? With some of us, its WHEEZING! Just FWIW, I was taught that attempting to shoot while HOLDING your breath tended to be counterproductive- If you take a deep breath- or even exhale, you will tend to rush the shot as you find you are running out of air. Technique that works for me- Take 3 deep breaths. Start to exhale the 3rd breath, and stop about halfway. In about 1/2 a second, your vision seems to sharpen just a smidge. Having hyperventilated a little, you are not rushed for a breath. Also seems to make your heartbeat settle down a little. Your mileage may vary, and other folks will have other opinions.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

Well, I will be able to find out what a World Record holder did, and does, when he shoots and maybe end some of the speculation.

Don Rose has agreed to be interviewed for an article to be published here. I am trying to arrange a time that is convenient for him and I need some more questions.

if you ever wanted to know, now is the time to ask. This man is one of the truly great shooters currently competing, as you will see by the list of titles. Changes are good he knows what all the big boys on the block are doing, what is working for them and what isn't.

Submit your questions soon please - or spend the rest of the time speculating.

JD

Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
RL this is just a combination of speculation , opinion and to a small degree experience here so feel free to tell me I'm way off base , but could it be you've chosen the wrong equipment for precision shooting ?

I'm thinking you're trying to make up for lack of target picture due to the long ranges you're shooting at and you've actually aggravated the problem due to the overly thick reticles that seem to be in vogue for the last few decades .

I'm thinking you would be better served with either an extremely fine plex or perhaps what I see is called the Germen Plex , It has two horizontal half lines rather than one that goes totally across your FOV and one half vertical one that you use in a 6 O clock position to the target .

Something like these might give you a improved target picture by not obscuring so much of your point of impact and reduce the need for a high magnification setting .

Just my pure opinion here but I think the reticles took a turn away from precision shooting as the craze for Illuminated ones started and they had to make them heavy to make illuminating them of any value to the shooter .

There was an article that dealt with this subject years ago and in it they stated that with most of the reticles people didn't realize that when they took aim at 100 yards the section where the two lines would intersect it would actually cover about an 6 inch circle of their intended target .

That doesn't sound like a scope for precise shooting at long ranges to me .

Then again perhaps I am just babbling but have found a question for JD in doing so .

What scopes and magnification powers and type of plexes do they use for extreme shooting ?
Excellent call Big001! I hate the new reticles and I'm sure this has a lot to do with my difficulty. I know it's not the gun, which has printed 1/2" moa groups and less on odd occasions. I have a cheap 6-24x scope with a duplex reticle that subtends about 4" at 100yds. On an old Marlin 336 lever I have a cheap little 4 x 20mm scope made in Russia or China by "Red Star" (no longer in business) that has a German reticle and I love it! The verticle half-post comes to a point and all I have to do is place the target on top of that point - no obscuration of the target! I believe one of the only manufacturers that makes that reticle now is Leupold - and I can't afford one presently. I bought a NcStar for my RRA .223 because it came with the handle mount - what a piece of crap! The mil-dot "sniper" reticle is so thick it completely obscures the bullseye at only 100 yds. I have an old Bushnell Sportview fixed 4x scope that has a fine reticle and I shoot much better with it than I do with the 6-24x cranked up to max. I guess I will have to spend as much for a scope as I did for the rifle! I was trying to avoid that. If you know of any reasonably priced scopes with German reticles I would love to hear about them!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-24-2008 at 03:00 AM.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Breathing? With some of us, its WHEEZING! Just FWIW, I was taught that attempting to shoot while HOLDING your breath tended to be counterproductive- If you take a deep breath- or even exhale, you will tend to rush the shot as you find you are running out of air. Technique that works for me- Take 3 deep breaths. Start to exhale the 3rd breath, and stop about halfway. In about 1/2 a second, your vision seems to sharpen just a smidge. Having hyperventilated a little, you are not rushed for a breath. Also seems to make your heartbeat settle down a little. Your mileage may vary, and other folks will have other opinions.
+1 on the wheezing! My inhaler tends to raise my heart rate...
I have tried the 3 rapid breath - exhale 1/2 way - squeeze - method. It works good most of the time. I was just wondering what the "experts" do.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #10

....And... *BUMP!*

Should be able to sit down with the man in the next week or so. Gunsmith write up is done and has been submitted to the Mods for review.

Any questions that you might like to ask would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD