Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #1
Man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions

Hey, y'all. It's nice to be a member of this grand forum. I searched for a gun forum in google and found this forum. Anyway, I have some questions regarding firearms, since I don't know much about them, but I do know what I want. I'm looking for a decent sized and affordable handgun and submachine gun. They ought to be very durable, and not in need of too much care. I also want them to have a name for being overall good guns. If anyone finds a good deal over here, please alert me. Also, if anyone knows the laws for the concealment of firearms in New Jersey, that'd be great as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #2

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You want to get both a Handgun AND a SUB MACHINEGUN,

.........................in NEW JERSEY ?????

Do you mean LEGALLY ????

How about a silencer too..........?

This is a joke, right?

OK, here's what you do.

Step #1 : Move to Vermont...........

=================================

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah, better move if you are serious about ownership. NJ is a NO GO.
Good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
Man

Why not? Guns aren't banned in New Jersey.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #5

http://www.njguns.com/laws.htm
Here is the link to the gun laws in New Jersey. As far as a first gun, and I assume you mean to conceal, I would go with a Glock or Springfield XD. Both are ultra-reliable come in different calibers, and are fairly inexpensive. I don't think you can own a sub-machinegun anywhere without a whole lot of special permits. Check out the handgun threads, there are a lot of good reviews there.
Proud NRA member

Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

NJ is one of the more restrictive states for would-be gun owners. If you want to own and carry a handgun, consult your County Clerk (or equivalent) and inquire about getting a permit to own one and carry it concealed.

Do you really mean a submachine gun? You want a fully-automatic several-rounds-per-second firing rifle? Those may be outright banned in NJ. You can get a Class III license which will let you purchase and own fully-automatic firearms, but those licenses don't come quickly, cheaply or easily. I believe you must own a business which sells firearms to military or law enforcement before you can qualify for one.

If you mean a rifle like an AR-15 (looks like an M-16) or a WASR10 (looks like an AK-47) those you may own in NJ, though there are some restrictions.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #7

Default Questions

Methinks the person posting really knows as little as he/she claims. A "submachine gun" refers to a fully automatic weapon. You can get one, but it will cost a fortune and the license will bne hard to get. I believe your desire for frugality means that you want something that LOOKS like a submachine gun but is, in reality, a semi-automatic weapon.

Next, tell us what you want to use it for. Fun? Target shooting? If that is the case I'd recommend an ATI (American Tactical Importers) GSG-5 which looks really cool and is an MP-5 clone. It fires 22LR so you can plink away all day for just a few bucks. There's an AK-47 look-alike version too which is essentially the same internally. Colt makes something like it, but I've heard bad things about them.

If you're looking for defense, I'm sold on the WIN 308 round for reasons of accuracy, availability, overall performance and lots more. 223 is ok, but I looked at the mini-14, Kel Tec 16, AR-15 variants, etc., and saw a lot of problems. Again, I also prefer the better range and effect on target of 308. I have an M1A, which is not for folks looking to save money, but I also have a Saiga chambered in 308 which you can get for under $500. It's the Russian made "sporter version" of the AK-47 (chambered in 308) and you can add a pistol grip, forend, and whatever else at your leisure (as state laws allow). You seem concerned about maintenance and reliability. Well, as any Soldier, Marine, or terrorist can tell you, you can abuse an AK and store it in the mud, and it will still fire every time.