A question to your view of the flag.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question to your view of the flag.

View Poll Results: Is there a good reason to alter the flag? Read post before voting
Absolutely not. It is unpatriotic to do anything but salute the flag 29 90.63%
Yes if it is for reasons that are not to deface it. 1 3.13%
I don't know. I would have to do a case by case basis. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default A question to your view of the flag.

The flag, the stars and stripes that represents this wonderful country. Every detail has a reason, every stitch has a story and every star has a name. To me it is just as important as the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Holy Bible.

Over the decades it has changed to reflect changes in this country, however I have seen some pics on the net where someone has photoshopped the flag so it reflects a current event/problem. I have mixed feelings about this, but it made me think of something. How would you feel if someone altered a real flag so that one of the stripes was changed black or blue to reflect a fallen officer or yellow to show respect for the military?

I'm torn the act would in some ways reflect the patriotism of the fallen, however that is why we fly the flags at half mast. So why alter the flag to symbolize a loss when the simple act of its position can do the same?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-26-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My feelings are that the Flag symbolizes freedom, sacrifice and our Country's history.

I've seen some of those variants that you speak of and while they're interesting, the original truly symbolizes it all.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default The Flag

Well said Darrin I wish we had the same respect for the Union Jack. To most in this it is hardly a symbol at all "sad I Guess"

Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies. Although I have never served in the military, I hold the flag very near and dear. When I was in the Academy one of my jobs was the Flag detail. Everyday before the Academy I raised the flag and everyday after I lowered the flag and folded it. I can tell you that during those moments was when I was the most proud. To this very day it still raises the hair on my neck.

I can understand the thought behind wanting to personalize the flag so it shows your feelings of loss, but would you write over John 3:16 so it would reflect how you feel about your girlfriend, or alter the Bill of Rights so it shows the rights of being a member of the Moose Lodge?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #5

imo, not acceptable.

imo, that flag is a symbol of what my forefathers fought and died for. it symbolizes the spirit of freedom the country was built on.

there was no change in the flag for the nearly 1000 service members that died in Afghanistan so far, not to mention iraq, or ANY of the other wars before. these are the ppl that are fighting for our way of life. no matter what you think of the war or our reasons to be there, the fact is, no matter why were there, the vast majority of those fighting it signed up to defend our country and our freedoms. to change it for a fallen officer, imo, is a slap in the face to not only those who gave their life in defense of the country, but all who served, as im sure they knew, part of the deal was to be ready to give your life at any time.

and afa showing respect for the military, thats what the flag IS. (see above) i fly a flag to show my support to those who fight for it. altering it in any way would kind of defeat that purpose.

now, i can guess by your avatar that you are a leo, and before you get the idea that im anti leo, im not. i work a govt job, in the same building as the police. we also do all of the maintance and repair, as well as accessory installs in their vehicles. some of them are my best friends.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #6

i also want to add that im not tooting my own horn either.

i never served in the military.

i tried waaay back about a yr after i graduated high school, but was refused for medical reasons.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

You have some good points, but re-read the OP I mentioned changes for the Military. I am not for it or against it, at least so far that is how I feel. I am still up in the air about it.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #8

i addressed that in the 4th paragraph of my first reply.

i was addressing both scenarios separately.

i dont agree with it, but then again, there are a lot of things i see going on with the flag that i dont agree with,that i dont think are respectful (like the framing and displaying of tattered/torn old flags) . otoh, i have also seen displays that i though were very good and respectful, although, by definition of the flag code, they were no-no's. like flying a flag off the back of a vehicle, on the trailer hitch, in parades and such.

im not trying to sway your opinion, or look down on anyone elses, its just a strong subject for me. there are few subjects im very opinionated on, and this is one of them.

Last edited by deth502; 02-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

The brave soldiers that die in service to their country do not wish to be shown respect by means of an alternate flag. They fought for the country that is represented by the flag of the United States of America, which is why it is given so much respect, not because of the fabric it is made of, but the freedom it stands for. Should I die in service, I want my wife to be handed the flag of the USA not an altered version.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
i addressed that in the 4th paragraph of my first reply.

i was addressing both scenarios separately.

i dont agree with it, but then again, there are a lot of things i see going on with the flag that i dont agree with,that i dont think are respectful (like the framing and displaying of tattered/torn old flags) . otoh, i have also seen displays that i though were very good and respectful, although, by definition of the flag code, they were no-no's. like flying a flag off the back of a vehicle, on the trailer hitch, in parades and such.

im not trying to sway your opinion, or look down on anyone elses, its just a strong subject for me. there are few subjects im very opinionated on, and this is one of them.
My opinion is not what matters here, I want to know yours. Thanks for posting it.

Yunus,
Thank you for that perspective.

"It is the proud and patriotic of us who do not wish anything special be done for us. We do what we do for the country and the people who live here, not for the glory or attention that our actions bring."
I wish I could say that statement came from someone profound, I'm sure it would mean more, but it didn't I made it up. I think it is true though. Is for me.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-26-2010 at 11:09 PM.