A question for the sports fan

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question for the sports fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default A question for the sports fan

Just saw the waiting list for the baseball players trying to get into the Hall of Fame. The three I have questions on are Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, and the biggest one Barry Bonds. Do these three belong in the Hall? I think not because of Pete Rose can not be there, then these three should not either. When Pete Rose went through the trials they found out that he wasn't betting on the games he wasn't playing in, so there was no fixing the game. These three players used steriods which in my eyes was cheating. So there's my opinion and now I'm asking for yours. Thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Definitely not. All three have been proven to have used steriods during the highlights of their careers, which in essence makes them eligible for the Hall in the first place.

You can't have some guy with some natural ability all juiced to the gills and put him in the Hall next to guys who had the barest of luxuries and had to achieve everything they did by shear hard work and determination.

Bonds should be stricken from every record book and should never be mentioned by true baseball historians and fans because he was the worst of the worst. Look at his rookie card, his stats and then compare them to his monster years. Yeah, he got that big and that "good" by training, saying his prayers and eating his vitamins.

For that matter I feel Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire are in the same category and should not be allowed into the Hall. They all knowingly took substances that were banned by the league, therefor they were illegal supplements.

They used the steriods to get bigger paydays and more accolades from the fans (all star votes, jersey sales, increased recognition). They achieved their goal and they got rich while baseball looked the other way.

That doesn't mean they get to go down in history as the greatest of the great.

JD

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
Definitely not. All three have been proven to have used steriods during the highlights of their careers, which in essence makes them eligible for the Hall in the first place.

You can't have some guy with some natural ability all juiced to the gills and put him in the Hall next to guys who had the barest of luxuries and had to achieve everything they did by shear hard work and determination.

Bonds should be stricken from every record book and should never be mentioned by true baseball historians and fans because he was the worst of the worst. Look at his rookie card, his stats and then compare them to his monster years. Yeah, he got that big and that "good" by training, saying his prayers and eating his vitamins.

For that matter I feel Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire are in the same category and should not be allowed into the Hall. They all knowingly took substances that were banned by the league, therefor they were illegal supplements.

They used the steriods to get bigger paydays and more accolades from the fans (all star votes, jersey sales, increased recognition). They achieved their goal and they got rich while baseball looked the other way.

That doesn't mean they get to go down in history as the greatest of the great.

JD
I agree w/JD. Cheaters don't belong in the Hall. PERIOD.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
When Pete Rose went through the trials they found out that he wasn't betting on the games he wasn't playing in, so there was no fixing the game.
Pete was betting on his own team as a manager.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire

They found through the trials that none of the games were fixed. So in my eyes he wasn't cheating like the roid heads of today.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Just saw the waiting list for the baseball players trying to get into the Hall of Fame. The three I have questions on are Roger Clemens,(found not giulty) Sammy Sosa, and the biggest one Barry Bonds. Do these three belong in the Hall? I think not because of Pete Rose can not be there, then these three should not either. When Pete Rose went through the trials they found out that he wasn't betting on the games he wasn't playing in, so there was no fixing the game. These three players used steriods which in my eyes was cheating. So there's my opinion and now I'm asking for yours. Thanks!!
Clemens, found not guilty. yes he should have his place in the hall. the othe two not so much.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
1-Great post JD...I'd also like to add Bonds' head actually got bigger over the years from his use of the juice...not figuratively..LITERALLY!! I mean hat sizes bigger... Ya, that always happens as people age... EFF HIM!!!

2-Yes, Rose was betting as a manager, on his own team (like that's okay ), denied it over and over, finally admitted it in his book but by then it was waaaay too late. EFF HIM!!!

3-Eff those cheating, lying basitds right in the ear!!! They shoudn't even be allowed to legally enter the town of Cooperstown. All that God given talent and they still had to cheat, then lie about it, they just about, and did in a lot of people's eyes, tainted the sport forever... EFF THEM ALL

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 07-24-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: effin' typos...
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Clemens wasn't found not guilty of steroid use but rather not guilty of perjury charges related to steroid use. The trainer claims he injected Clemens personally and Roger claims he didn't. *shrug*

Clemens' acquittal doesn't mean that he didn't knowingly use PEDs. It just means nobody can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did.

The question I have is why Roger Clemens got a Congressional Hearing? Shouldn't this have been sorted out by MLB? Really? A Congressional Hearing?

Could we get a bigger tent to put a circus under?

How many "normal people" get a Congressional Hearing?

And what about Bagwell? The guy was never linked in the Mitchell Report. Never publicly, openly accused, of taking PED's and has publicly denied ever taking them. He isn't in the Hall and his stats were REALLY good when compared to the league since the 60's.

How about Ivan Rodriguez? "Pudge" was anything but 'pudgy' in his years blasting stratosphere cracking moonshots.

I think once the "Steroid Era" wall cracks and you let one guy with impressive numbers in, then it will somehow justify it's okay to let this one or that one in to the people with sympathetic votes. You only need a 75% yes vote to get in, it's not like it's 100% of the voters agreeing.

I think if you took the 'roids and got paid, you got what you were after. You got glory, you got money, you got prestige, all star appearances, interviews, magazine covers and all sorts of perks that went along with those needles.

I just don't think you also get a bust in Cooperstown once you cross that line.

JD

Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

all I have to say on this topics is this .....

the defending SUPERBOWL Champions NY Giants will be kicking off the 2012 season on 8/23/12 at 7:30PM!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Major League Baseball has had absolutely zero credibility since the 1994 strike ..... eff them! I would rather watch Little League'rs or softball before MLB!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

vincent Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj
all I have to say on this topics is this .....

the defending SUPERBOWL Champions NY Giants will be kicking off the 2012 season on 8/23/12 at 7:30PM!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Major League Baseball has had absolutely zero credibility since the 1994 strike ..... eff them! I would rather watch Little League'rs or softball before MLB!
NFL, Yeah!!! I'm a Cowboy fan so wooooo hoooooOHHH wait a minute....

Nevermind.