Question regarding caliber "power" - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question regarding caliber "power"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The problem with worrying about numbers like Power is they aren't even close to judging a bullets performance on a live target .

Bullet design and construction play a huge part in the overall equation .

Say you want to hunt deer and I give you the choice of two guns a 30-30 and one of the hottest 22 centerfire magnums made .

You can probably find 22 center fires that when you look at only the raw power numbers will beat a 150 grain 30-30 bullet and think you've chosen the best of the two guns for the hunt .

Problem is when you shoot the deer in the shoulder your 22 traveling at over 3,000 fps is going to hit the bone and shatter into pieces and never reach a vital area where the 30-30 is going to break the bone and continue on into the lungs killing the deer .

The reason is most 22 centerfire bullets are designed for rapid expansion to kill varmints while the 30-30 is designed more stoutly to penetrate on deer sized game .

Then when you get into the subject of humans and self defense you get a whole new set of completely unknown variables , is he standing behind a car , a tree , a simple bush , what is he wearing ? Only a T-shirt or a shirt and denim jacket or perhaps a leather Bikers jacket ? What if he has a book in his pocket and you hit that ?

I hope you see why power alone really doesn't mean much .

Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For what it's worth BKT,

I have used that quotation time & time again... for EVERYTHING! The phrase was coined by (the now defunct) "GAGETALKER Corp." back in the late 60's as a martketing tool, for their Data Collection Equipment. Believe it or not, it was their "registered trademark".

I generally add some four letter explicitives to it, to drive the point home...