A question, please
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

A question, please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default A question, please

I recently inherited a 1990 GMC Jimmy 4wd from one of my best friends. He bought it new in '89. It is in great shape and has a new engine. But the tires are near the end of their life.

It will get lots of dez use, range trips, will be used to tow my trailer/ATV's, and if I take it to Utah for elk it will be in mud and clay. But on most weekends it will be on paved roads around town.

Currently it is wearing Pirelli 32-11.5-15's. It was geared to run with the 32's, but the paperwork has not surfaced yet, so I don't know exactly how it is geared.

I have Bridgestone Dueller AT's on my Durango and Toyota truck, and like them for around town and light off road stuff.

But for the Jimmy I want something more aggressive, though not crazy aggressive. And some noise is OK, but not a roar when on the freeway.

Any suggestions?

Also, these tires will dry out before they wear out so what are the thoughts on an off brand? Are they as good as the big names? Suggestions? Any issues going from the 32's (which are limited selection) to 33's? Would new gears be necessary?

Thanks, in advance, for what I know will be great answers.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I put a set of mud tires from pep boys on my grand cherokee, the should have your size and they have that buy 3 get one free. I think they are dakota's, I'll check and let ya know. had them a little over a year and they are holding up fine. Mostly pavement diving too.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Super swamper Radial SSR Super Swamper Radial SSR-RH2

Cooper has a decent looking tire in that size. http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_stt

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-03-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Big O Bigfoot MT, ive got them on my 4runner, 30k miles and still have 11-13/32"
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Consumer Reports is your friend.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try Tire Rack:

Tire Rack 32x11.5x15

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Consumer Reports is your friend.
I thought you guys were my friends?

All kidding aside, thanks for the help guys.

Some excellent options here, and some great prices, too. Other than options does anyone have any strong opinions? Anything to specifically stay away from? Or a tire that you have used that you swear by?

Thanks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #8

How much is your life worth?

If it is more than $200, spend enough on the tires to keep you safe.

BE SURE you look at the date stamp on the back side, near the bead of EACH tire. That four digit number is the two digits week number followed by the last (or last two) digits of the year that the tire was actually molded in. For example; 1009 is the tenth week of 2009. Tires over six years old are NOT safe for highway speeds, for more than a very few miles.
Aged Tires: A Driving Hazard? (ignore the "pooper" advertisement that precedes the video).

Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Honestly, I'd recommend you check out Consumer Reports. They have got great reviews in there of different tires, and you often find out the best performing ones are not the big names with big price tags. They've led me to putting tires on my BMW I've never heard of, quite pleased with, and paid a lot less than what the tire stores would recommend.

The subscription for the website is $6/mo. It will be the best $6 you spend. And if you don't see any reason to keep it, cancel it in a couple weeks. That $6 will probably save you at least 10 times that.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've had great luck with BFGs. You may or may not need to regear depending on what gears you have. You really need to find out what gears you have before you get a different tire size.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Newest Threads