A question for NJ gun owners.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question for NJ gun owners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A question for NJ gun owners.

Hi everyone, this looks like a great forum. I wasn't sure whether I should post this under the Legal thread forum or not, so I just figured I would throw it out here.

I spent much of my life in New England and was an avid hunter. Eleven years ago I met a lady from NJ (cue Jersey girl jokes) and well, we have been married for almost 10 years. One of the consequences of my wedded bliss was that I sold my guns before joining her in NJ; she was averse to having guns in the house and I had know idea what would happen if I brought them in-state.

Sorry, if I am bloviating here, but I figured I should give some background. Anyway, when 911 happened and her sister, who worked there, escaped with only a matter of minutes to spare, my wife changed her mind. I went out at that time and got a firearm permit (including handgun which has expired), but I chose not to act based on fear. So that brings me to today and my question.

I am not particularly interested in a handgun for now, but I have been thinking about getting a rifle or shotgun, mainly because I am not sure it is going to get any easier is our new president and Congress get their way. No fear, but prudence. Unfortunately, I am at a loss to understand what I can and can't do in terms of buying a gun here in NJ.

It was easy in NH and VT back in the day: show hunter safety card and buy; but this was America back then. I have read websites galore and I think that I can buy a gun in-state no prob. What I want to know is if I can buy a gun out-of-state with my NJ permit and bring it back without ending up sharing a cell with a guy named Bubba who has a twinkle in his eye.

I still drive to New England a lot and could buy my gun much cheaper up there. Any help or advice you good ladies and gentlemen can offer me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~ Jack Handy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You mean they allowed you to own a gun in NJ. WOW I am suprised. I was in the ARMY had more qualifications that any police in NJ and they wouldn't even let me look at a gun there.

I would not want to get caught bringing in an unregistered firearm in to the CSNJ (Communist State of New Jersey). That is for darn sure. If you want to get it cheaper see if you can buy over the internet and have it shipped to an FFL.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-14-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #3

Apparently they do, although I can't say for sure. I will have to visit a gun store here and report back. I will say that NJ is hardly riddled with gun shops (pardon the pun). I will have to drive a good distance to get to the nearest one.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Cheez, what a guy will do for a piece. (pun intended)

No matter now, it's already done.

Go find a gun shop, and talk to them. They know how to get a gun in your hand legally.

Next, I'd say move outta there. Fast.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

What part of Joursey are you in? I lived on Fort Dix. Used to go to a nice place just up the road I think it was in Bordentown.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6

I live in Hillsborough. My in-laws live close to Fort Dix.