Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question For LEO's, One Chambered At All Times?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A friend of mine and I were discussing guns and how to safely carry. He insists that LEO's carry with an empty chamber so that if a bad guy gets the LEO's gun he has to cock it first before firing it. I think that may have been the case when semi-auto's were first being widely issued as service guns (was that in the late '70's?), but these days I wager that 100% of LEO's carry with one chambered and another round added to the magazine and then re-inserted. I would also wager that this is how y'all carry off duty as well.

So how was it back in the day and how is it now?
My best friend is a LEO, and he carries with one in the chamber.

I asked him about this one day - though "what if someone grabs your gun"...his explanation was short & sweet - "ill just make sure they don't"

The spirit of what he is saying is, basically, the chances of a thug grabbing your holstered weapon are nil compared to the chances of you needing to get to that weapon as fast as possible.

In other words, if you didn't keep one in the chamber, that extra motion of putting one in the chamber could be the difference between life & death.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #22

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I can't tell you how much respect and admiration I have for you guys and gals dealing with that mess down there. To know that at

Stay safe.
+1
You guys rock.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If someone wants to talke my gun, they can have it. Of course it will be empty and hot, but they can have it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Reminds me of superman taking all those hits with bullets, but then ducking when the gun is thrown at him.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Reminds me of superman taking all those hits with bullets, but then ducking when the gun is thrown at him.
You know...you're right! I'd never thought of it that way...ha!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5452 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

When i was in the army we were issued issued one magazine with 10 rounds for the berreta m9. We werent allowed to have one in the chamber. I do not remember me personally ever going on patrol without 16 roundsin the gun and another mag they forgot to issue with 15 in it.

My thinking was i will deal with the article 15 disobey a lawful order after i survived any use of force requiring more than 10 shots...

I always went to the restroom right after drawing weapons and ammo and right before turn in. My bladder was like a swiss watch back then. I always followed the three "S" rules shoot, shovel, shut-up

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Viking,
You WIN! That thought your friend has is far from true! I retired as a Rangemaster and Firearms Training Officer from a Metro Police Department, and it would be the same as a signed death warrant for an officer to carry his side arm with and empty chamber. We did carry our Shotguns and ARs in the car with an empty chamber. But they were not the primary weapon. I can not believe that is happening on a police department anywhere today. Maybe were he got his idea, was the old sheriffs and lawmen of yesterday year carrying the older Single Action Revolvers like the Colts, Walkers and etc. in the 1800s and maybe early 1900s. The old western type revolvers did not have a hammer firing pin block on them so they were carried in the holster with an empty chamber under the firing pin. Because a strike on the hammer even while in the holster could set the revolver off! And also if you think about it, to fire them the hammer had to be pulled back advancing the cylinder to the next chamber holding a live round each time.
So how old is he 150? Just kidding! So how much money $$$$$ did you win on the Bet!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #28

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
When i was in the army we were issued issued one magazine with 10 rounds for the berreta m9. We werent allowed to have one in the chamber. I do not remember me personally ever going on patrol without 16 roundsin the gun and another mag they forgot to issue with 15 in it.

My thinking was i will deal with the article 15 disobey a lawful order after i survived any use of force requiring more than 10 shots...

I always went to the restroom right after drawing weapons and ammo and right before turn in. My bladder was like a swiss watch back then. I always followed the three "S" rules shoot, shovel, shut-up
Maybe piss, pocket, and shut up?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A friend of mine and I were discussing guns and how to safely carry. He insists that LEO's carry with an empty chamber so that if a bad guy gets the LEO's gun he has to cock it first before firing it. I think that may have been the case when semi-auto's were first being widely issued as service guns (was that in the late '70's?), but these days I wager that 100% of LEO's carry with one chambered and another round added to the magazine and then re-inserted. I would also wager that this is how y'all carry off duty as well.

So how was it back in the day and how is it now?
Your friend is...what's that word...oh yeah....WRONG.

The next time you talk to him, let him know I said not only was he wrong, but he is so wrong, that he would have to make a trip around the world making left turns only.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Ha ha!

Thanks all, and thanks to all of you for doing a difficult job. Neither myself nor my friend is a LEO, or anything close to it. My friend is pretty close to 150, at least that's how he acts sometimes (I have sent him the link to this thread so he can read your words first hand).

I remember back when Glocks started being carried as service weapons and there were a number of UD/AD's with them around here. I don't think that happens as often these days since people have become familiar with them.

I guess a follow-up question would be how much range practice do you get? Do you know LEO's who don't get much practice? Back in 2008 when I was campaigning for a new Sheriff (he lost the election) I spoke quite a bit with the two challengers (as well as the piece of crap Sheriff) and the two challengers said that in their experience most officers in our county (both city police and deputies) probably did not get near as much range time as I do. That is scary! I know that the former Chief of the San Francisco Police Department, Heather Fong, did not even qualify with her service weapon for nearly the entire time she was Chief even though it is required that all officers qualify annually! (When this became known in 2008, the year she resigned, she did qualify two weeks later.) Of course the murder rate in SF reached an all time high during her time as Chief.