Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Question For LEO's, One Chambered At All Times? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/question-leos-one-chambered-all-times-54894/)

Vikingdad 01-06-2012 07:03 AM

Question For LEO's, One Chambered At All Times?

A friend of mine and I were discussing guns and how to safely carry. He insists that LEO's carry with an empty chamber so that if a bad guy gets the LEO's gun he has to cock it first before firing it. I think that may have been the case when semi-auto's were first being widely issued as service guns (was that in the late '70's?), but these days I wager that 100% of LEO's carry with one chambered and another round added to the magazine and then re-inserted. I would also wager that this is how y'all carry off duty as well.

So how was it back in the day and how is it now?

trip286 01-06-2012 07:11 AM

I'm sure there's variations from department to department, but I would imagine that a LEO with an empty chamber is very rare. Probably more likely to find an empty chamber due to negligence than to department policy.

Retcop 01-06-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

I wager that 100% of LEO's carry with one chambered and another round added to the magazine and then re-inserted. I would also wager that this is how y'all carry off duty as well.
I Don't know about all LEO's but in my Department you are 100% right it is Policy. In many situations having to Jack the slide could cost your life.

pagj17 01-06-2012 08:35 AM

Viking dad, I'm not sure if you were familiar with the Norco Shootout in the 80s(back when Norco was a small town).
Back then Most agencies were still using revolvers, and a reload cost an officer his life, and afterwards there was a shift to Semi Autos. I don't think, from my rudimentary look into things, that with most departments there was ever a"round out of the chamber" except for in departments that were using glocks. The Only agency I've ever heard of doing that is Israel. I'm probably wrong though:p

Junior966 01-06-2012 09:05 AM

We always carried 1 in chamber but I never reloaded the mag. with an xtra round ...That round always went back in the mag. at the end of the day...

robocop10mm 01-06-2012 09:25 AM

An empty chamber is for Marine Embasy guards. LE carries one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is an inefficient and expensive club.

c3shooter 01-06-2012 10:09 AM

Obvious that your friend is not a LEO. One up the spout.

trip286 01-06-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
An empty chamber is for Marine Embasy guards. LE carries one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is an inefficient and expensive club.

I've never done Embassy duty, but I know Marine Military Police carry one in the chamber, but MP and security forces (who do the embassy duties) are two entirely different MOS's.

texaswoodworker 01-06-2012 03:13 PM

I've seen a video on tv of a cop defending himself from an armed attacker, he definitely had one in the pipe, and plenty in the magazine.

MrWray 01-07-2012 12:26 AM

Ive never heard of a LEO not having a chambered round in their sidearm.