Question for LEO about emergency lights
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Question for LEO about emergency lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1375 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Default Question for LEO about emergency lights

LEO on the side of the freeway no cars pulled over. He appeared to be out of the car. His car was lit up like a Christmas tree on steroids... But, what to me seemed to be a bad decision, his spot light was aimed directly into the eyes of the cars passing by his light show. I literally couldn't see the car in front of me from the intense blinding light.

I've read that drunks are actually attracted to the flashing lights, and that's why some many drunks hit LEO rides on the side of the road. First time I've ever seen a spot shining back like that and wondered if this is really a good idea?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

One thing I've heard and don't know if it's true, is that it's the BLUE lights that attract some people, and supposedly some people veer away from white lights. This is what I was told when I asked a campus cop about the new light bars they have on their cars, which have flashing white lights in them on the very ends.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1375 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
One thing I've heard and don't know if it's true, is that it's the BLUE lights that attract some people, and supposedly some people veer away from white lights. This is what I was told when I asked a campus cop about the new light bars they have on their cars, which have flashing white lights in them on the very ends.
interesting theory, but that spot light was blinding.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

interesting theory, but that spot light was blinding.
Yeah, I'd day even if that theory is true, a spotlight is a bit overbearing.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

The officer probably did not realize the spotlight was aimed in such a poor direction. Hard to imagine why an officer would invite disaster by intentionally blinding the passing cars.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3674 Times on 1770 Posts
Likes Given: 1815

I agree! I feel certain he probably did not realize it was aimed as was. And was probably busy filling out paperwork of whatever. Certainly doesn't say that it was an excuse. He should have been aware but sometimes we also do things that doesn't cross our minds until the light bulb comes on upstairs. Everyone should have blown their horn or flashed their brights at him "if he was just setting there alone" on the side of the road. That would have probably made him aware of the situation. As far as the emergency lights that is policy on most agencies if setting stationary along the road after a traffic stop or doing paperwork.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

ive had that happen before. officer sitting there forgot to turn the spot off i stopped and let him know he was blinding oncoming traffic. he said OOPPPS!! thanks!! and we both went on our way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent