Question for the former and current Marines
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question for the former and current Marines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8177

Default Question for the former and current Marines

As some of my previous posts have stated, My dad is a retired Marine (E-9 after 22 years). For the last 2 years I have been debating getting a tatoo to honor my father and have designed one with the Marine Corps. insignia as the center peice, with dog tags with the years he went in and retired below it with his final rank in the middle of the two. I would like to do this in black and gray shading, no color.

My question is this. Would it be improper, me being a former depenent never having served, for me to get this piece done? Should I instead get a photo of him in his dress blues? Would I upset or offend any members of the armed forces by doing this, or would it be a good way to honor dad? Your responses are appreciated, and thank you for your service.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 462 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 152

When I was in the service back in the mid 70's, the public's view of the U.S.M.C. and the military in general, was a little less appreciative than it is today. Many servicemen and women who were just as heroic in their duties as those today were more maligned than celebrated. Your desire to honor your father's service is admirable. You may wish to ask him about the tattoo,he probably has some good input. The Top may surprise you in his response, but I would consider his wishes before proceeding,, he will most likely tell you it was his duty and not want any fuss,,, honor and modesty tend to walk hand in hand at times. Ask your father.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would ask him too. Me personally, I wouldn't be offended a bit, and I think it sounds like a great tattoo idea. One thing though, is there likely would be some young devil nuts who will be offended. You simply can't please everyone all the time.

I think an "in honor of" statement, or something to that effect will immediately remove most potential for offense. And if someone gives you a hard time, tell them Trip, from 1/6 Deathwalkers says it's okay

Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

[QUOTE=trip286;697172]I would ask him too. Me personally, I wouldn't be offended a bit, and I think it sounds like a great tattoo idea. One thing though, is there likely would be some young devil nuts who will be offended. You simply can't please everyone all the time.

I think an "in honor of" statement, or something to that effect will immediately remove most potential for offense. And if someone gives you a hard time, tell them Trip, from 1/6 Deathwalkers says it's okay [/QUOTE

I agree with Trip. There are some people who will be offended no matter what. Trip when where you with 1/6?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

2003-2006.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I think as long as you don't plan on joining the Marines in the future...drill instructors take USMC tats kind of personally...and you put something that kind of points out that it's a dedication, more obvious than the dates on the tags I mean, you should be fine. If you are thinking of joining yourself, wait till after boot camp,

Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
some young devil nuts
Bahaha, I haven't heard that in so long.

I agree with talking to your father about what you are looking to do with the tattoo. And I like the 'In Honor Of' idea, that would look nice.

If you have a photo editor or Microsoft word, see if you can put it together and see what it would look like. That might help with the decision.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

It's all good that you want to honor your father that way, but a lot of ex Marines would argue the point, and the point being that you must earn the right to permanently represent yourself as a member of an honorable branch of service that can only be accomplished by going through the hardships to earn the right to be called a real Marine.
I'm an old squid, ( one step above a jarhead)...but I would feel the same way if my son wanted to have USN tattoed on him. If you want to honor your father, just be a good son and tell him you're proud of his service to our country.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Not a former Marine, but retired Army, and FATHER of a retired Marine. Daughter wanted a tat for the old man- got my insignia of rank, with a small banner above that says Daddy. Her husband-to-be has one with a Corps of Engineers castle, banner that says Dad. Do not see how a non-drunk person would feel that was an attempt to impersonate a service member.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

It's possible that I might agree with you....that is when I sober up...that might take a couple of days though ..LOL