A question f/t Marines
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question f/t Marines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Default A question f/t Marines

Hi Guys,

I have a friend who’s a Marine. She was a Hornet mechanic a long time ago. She told me once the Marines are called ‘The President’s Own’ because the president can send them anywhere without checking with congress first, or something. I’m trying to substantiate that.

Never mind for the moment that presidents have been sending all our service members all over the damm place without receiving congressional approval first for some time; Can anyone here tell me if this is true? Is there some document or statute somewhere that states the USMC is exempt having congressional approval before the president sends them into some conflict somewhere? Can someone cite it and/or send me a link to it?

I’ve tried searching ‘The President’s Own’ but the only results I get are about the USMC Band. 'USMC' doesn't lead me to anything substantiating it either.

I’d close with ‘Semper fi’, but I’m not a Marine so I’ll just say;

Thanks,
Vini

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

as current misinterpretations of the constitution have been declared by the us congress and supreme court the president can send any of the airforce marines army navy anywhere to do anything for a short deployment. there is nothing in the constitution that allows the president to do this however.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

He he he, yes the presidents own is the Marine Corps band.

There is some kind if a stipulation somewhere (supposedly) that the president can "send in the Marines" without a formal declaration and without the approval of congress. For something like 2 months I think.

Again, I say "supposedly"

Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9209 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

You are speaking of the War Powers Act. Congress passed this over Nixon's veto. Copy & Paste-

The War Powers Resolution requires the president to provide written notification to Congress of the introduction of U.S. armed forces into hostilities within forty-eight hours of such action. The president must explain the reasons forces were inserted in a hostile situation, the executive's authority for doing so, and the scope and duration of the military action. In addition, the president is required to terminate the use of military forces after sixty days unless Congress has declared war, extended the period by law, or cannot meet the sixty-day deadline as a result of an armed attack on the United States. The sixty days can be extended for thirty days by the president if the safety of armed forces would be jeopardized by immediate removal. The president is also required to remove forces at any time if Congress so demands by concurrent resolutions (known as a legislative veto). The president, as commander in chief, is empowered by the Constitution to lead U.S. forces once the decision to wage war is made or an attack on the United States has commenced. What Congress sought with the War Powers Resolution was participation in the decision to commit armed forces at the beginning of hostilities.

But no, it is not just "send in the Marines". It is any of us that have taken the Queen's shilling. And the President's Own is the band.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

And that's why I said supposedly, it was what I had heard while in the service while not doing the research myself.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 27

As trip286 said, "The President's Own" band is operated by the Marine Corps. That is where the expression derives.

Other than that, the War Powers Act is the law of the land.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

While the topic is interesting, I have to say: If you get time with a Marine, buy them a drink and just listen.

The Marines, to the last of my knowledge, are the ONLY force that has ever guarded foreign embassy locations and the dignitaries that stayed there during their detail.

Yeah. There have been SeALs and DELTA and other folks attached to a HOT ZONE, but the Marines have been everywhere else. And under certain administrations they have done so WITHOUT loaded weapons.

SO, when a Marine tells you that they have "been there, done that" you should probably pay them just a WEE bit of attention.

JD

Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #8

Yes, buy drinks for Marines. As often and as many as you can.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #9

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
It is any of us that have taken the Queen's shilling.
Yeah. See, I was surprised that they’d be allowances for the use of USMC that the other services wouldn’t have visa vie Congress. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #10

Liked 768 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You are speaking of the War Powers Act. Congress passed this over Nixon's veto. Copy & Paste-

But no, it is not just "send in the Marines". It is any of us that have taken the Queen's shilling. And the President's Own is the band.
Many would argue that the War Powers Acts is an unconstitutional overreach of Congressional power. Constitutionally, the President is the Commander in Chief of all armed forces and he alone is vested in the authority to commit troops. Congress' role, per the Constitution, is limited to formal declarations of war and the appropriation of the funds necessary. The grey area arises when the President commits troops absent a formal declaration by Congress, e.g. Viet Nam, Korea, Gulf I, Bosnia, Grenada, Libya, Somalia, etc. The War Powers Act was an attempt to resolve the grey but even so it remains to be seen whether Congress could actually force the troops home by any means other than defunding.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington