Question for CWP holders.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question for CWP holders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I seen a news blip about two RCMP officers who where recently shot while executing a search warrant for a .45, even though it happened at a house.

If you happened to be in the area/on the block and heard gun shots and new it was someone firing at an officer, how would you handle that?

EDIT here's the news blip: http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/police+involved+in+multiple+shooting+in+killam/6442575856/story.html

Last edited by kaido; 02-09-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

If I was present when someone fired on an officer, I would try to defend the officer. But, I would be sure the officer knew who's side I was on.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
If I was present when someone fired on an officer, I would try to defend the officer. But, I would be sure the officer knew who's side I was on.
That was my thought too, but with out actually going up to the officer and saying "hey, don't shoot me, I'm helping" is there any real way of doing that?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
That was my thought too, but with out actually going up to the officer and saying "hey, don't shoot me, I'm helping" is there any real way of doing that?
That is a tough question. I think it can only be answered in the moment depending on what is actually happening.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

That is a tough question. I think it can only be answered in the moment depending on what is actually happening.
That's why I'm on the curious side.
Since I'm in Canada I'll, more then likely, never be faced with that question since we don't have any concealed carry laws here. Just like thinking of serious situations and how some might handle them.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

In general, would try to stay the hell out of their way.

Slightly different scenario- driving down the road, single officer has car stopped, and is rolling on the ground with the driver. Would be much more likely to stop and aid with that one- dialing 911 as I pull over.

In the first scenario, officer would likely feel thay are being attacked from another quarter.

Just remember- having a permit to carry does NOT make you an LEO.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
In general, would try to stay the hell out of their way.

Slightly different scenario- driving down the road, single officer has car stopped, and is rolling on the ground with the driver. Would be much more likely to stop and aid with that one- dialing 911 as I pull over.

In the first scenario, officer would likely feel thay are being attacked from another quarter.

Just remember- having a permit to carry does NOT make you an LEO.
I think a lot of people would try their best to let an officer do their job.

I know seeing a cop fighting with another individual is more likely the. Being in the area when a gun fight starts between one and a criminal, but I still couldn't/can't help but wonder.

I'm well aware that it doesn't make you any branch of the law just having your CWP at all, but if you had the means to let that officer know you weren't another person who was firing on them, would you try to help or duck/leave the area?