Question for the Chefs on here
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question for the Chefs on here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Question for the Chefs on here

So I purchased a meat grinder to process my deer meat this year and want to start grinding hamburg too. From what I have read once you grind your own burger you will never buy the **** in the grocery store again.

Has anyone on here tried it and have any tips like what ratio of meats like chuck, brisket sirloin ect ?? and what about spice ideas.. I have tried the hamburger spice from Williams Sonoma and its really good but there are prob way better ones out there.

Thanks in advance for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ground Sirloin! Buy it in bulk at Costco or on sale at the market. Make sure it is fresh and seal it in a foodsaver or other vacuum bagging device. No more than 2% fat!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you want a ratio of 80% lean to 20% fat. After all, the fat is what gives it the flavor.

I often buy a boneless chuck roast that has a lot of fat and grind it in to hamburger. After it's ground, I add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and then toss it around and then make my hamburger patties.

Don't season it if you're going to freeze it! If you freeze the hamburger, thaw it out before you're going to use it and THEN season it. You don't want to season meat before you freeze it.

For my ground venison, I also add about 20% beef fat because the deer meat is so lean. This also adds flavor and keeps it from drying out so much, which is common with venison.

And I agree....the Foodsaver or other vacuum-sealing devices are awesome....but they charge you an arm and a leg for the freezing bags....that's where they REALLY get you. Like printers are fairly cheap, but they really get you on the ink or toner. Same principle.

Last edited by lonyaeger; 12-01-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5509 Times on 2876 Posts
Likes Given: 357

when i grind mine, for every pound i grind 2 cups of ice in between. grinding causes heat heat melts fat. this is really bad for real high quality hamburger. after the first grind i refrigerate it for 6 hours then regrind using the same proccess. im prolly a little anal retentive about my cooking. i dont add anything to the meat spice wise. thats part of the cooking proccess. i like my burger basic unspiced so i can go anywhere with it later.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

When I grind deer meat, I use pork fat. I like the pork fat better. I've never done my own beef burger. You will get tons of use out of that grinder, KTM.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #6

I used to grind pork with my deer meat but i changed it.. for every 3 pounds of deer i put 1 pound of beef. Love it

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like to buy round steak when it goes on sale, buy about 40 lbs and grind it with the fat it comes with. Probably 7-10% fat. Works for us.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I grind my venison I shop for the cheapest pork I can find, like a shoulder roast or something. And add it in about a 4:1 ratio.

A couple years ago a friend of ours was culling a bunch of deer on their ranch and gave us a bunch of quarters (almost 100 lbs worth). My wife bought three beef briskets and gave it all to the processor to grind it up. Turned out real good.

I've never heard of the ice grinding trick. I'm going to have to give that one a try.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I think you want a ratio of 80% lean to 20% fat. After all, the fat is what gives it the flavor.

I often buy a boneless chuck roast that has a lot of fat and grind it in to hamburger. After it's ground, I add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and then toss it around and then make my hamburger patties.

Don't season it if you're going to freeze it! If you freeze the hamburger, thaw it out before you're going to use it and THEN season it. You don't want to season meat before you freeze it.For my ground venison, I also add about 20% beef fat because the deer meat is so lean. This also adds flavor and keeps it from drying out so much, which is common with venison.

And I agree....the Foodsaver or other vacuum-sealing devices are awesome....but they charge you an arm and a leg for the freezing bags....that's where they REALLY get you. Like printers are fairly cheap, but they really get you on the ink or toner. Same principle.
Lon, What happens if you season, then freeze?

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It can actually take on TOO MUCH of the seasoning.