Question of buyer loyalty
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Question of buyer loyalty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Question of buyer loyalty

Here's my dilemma. The local gun store I normally go through is a great group of guys. I really respect them, and they've been nothing but helpful in my first gun purchases. However, I am now looking at getting a compact Rock Island for concealed carry, and they stock them for $479. I can get one online NIB for $418 shipped, plus $20 for their FFL service means $440 gets me the gun. If I buy from them, I end up paying $510 or so after tax. That difference of $70 is rather large in my current financial state. I really don't want to offend the shop by buying a gun from somewhere else through them when they stock the gun on a regular basis, but that price point is something I can't ignore...

Essentially, what I'm asking is what would you do in this situation? Take the $70 hit and buy from them, or risk alienating them by shipping through them for a gun they already have?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #2
VR4

Well ask yourself what would they do? I bet they would want to save money as well.

You could ask them to match the online price. If they say no then buy it online. It's not their money it's yours. $70 bucks is 2 or 3 mags you could buy for your new gun.

Now that WA passed the sales tax deal I have to look at buying locally because I not only have to pay a transfer free I also have to pay sales tax for what the gun is worth MSRP. Be happy you have a options.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VR4154#p/u

Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ask them to match the price. Save the $70!!

Then buy the spare mags, leather or some ammo from the local guy.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Or if they can't match the price, see if they can at least get close. Buying from them even though they know you can get it cheaper elsewhere will go a long way toward cementing your relationship with them.

Let them know that you'd rather buy from them, but money's tight etc. See what they do.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3531 Times on 2026 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

I would not ask any of my relatives for a discount. Be it a haircut, car part, etc...
Everybody has to make a living, and even if my dollar goes so far, so does theirs.

You know (and good suggestions have been offered) what to do. Any "upfront" dealer will work with you as much as possible, but can only go so far.

Your decision.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would not feel obligated to spend an extra $70 just for them. If they value you as a customer as much as you value them as sellers they will atleast try to come close to matching the price.

my $.02

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with CA357 on this one. If it were me and they could get close to the online price, I would buy from them. I'll spend a little more to know if I have a problem I can just go down the street rather then having to deal with people via email or phone to get things handled.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #8

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Make sure they will do the transfer before you purchase. A couple stores around here will not do transfers on new items that they stock or can order.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #9

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

When I can I like to spend my money locally, even if it costs me a bit more. Supporting local businesses helps out the community where you live. I would see if they can compete with the online price, even suggest picking up the accessories from them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it were me, I would start by asking them what they could do. If they could even meet me half way, I'd buy it from them. Like other have said, it is good to buy local when you can.