Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   question about wood (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/question-about-wood-17692/)

Jess 09-04-2009 01:58 PM

question about wood

what type of wood is readily available, has a pretty grain, is NOT pine, is suitable for making a furniture piece out of, and holds up well?

Thanks guys, its nice to have a whole gaggle of you at my disposal;)

spittinfire 09-04-2009 02:10 PM

We're a gaggle now??

General_lee 09-04-2009 02:17 PM

Red Oak is readily available at places like Home Depot or Lowes. Kind of expensive though.

supergus 09-04-2009 02:42 PM

Is this going to be heirloom quality furniture or a workbench? are you willing to pay good money?

Benning Boy 09-04-2009 02:50 PM

Roughly how big is the piece, and will it be bearing weight?

Jess 09-04-2009 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I should have been more specific. They will be headboards and frames for beds, 2 twin 1 queen. My husband is pretty good at showing his love by making me stuff and these are next on the list. but he isn't creative, just good at making exactly what I want, which is a fantastic quality. I can spend money on the wood if they will last.

Jess 09-04-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 155320)
We're a gaggle now??

something more manly than a gaggle?

c3shooter 09-04-2009 03:04 PM

Depends on (1) what you want it to look like, and (2) What you want it to look like.

The obvious (and pricy) woods are mahogany, Cherry, Walnut, Birds Eye Maple- and well as the more exotic woods- like teak, ebony, rosewood, etc.

However, the wood used in a lot of the 60's style furniture was Birch. Mainly in the form of plywood. Fair grain, easy to work with, light color, can be stained darker.

For a darker wood, Cherry is very nice, but pricy.

spittinfire 09-04-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 155342)
something more manly than a gaggle?

No, I think gaggle could apply now that I think about it.

Benning Boy 09-04-2009 04:15 PM

1) Get in the Yellow Pages

2) Look for a smaller (not big chain) lumber yard.

3) Smaller yards often have the widest variety an higher quality pieces. You'll find the exotics that a Home Depot has never heard of.

4) Contemplate your color scheme before you go. I'm straight, so interior design is something I don't grasp, but I do a little woodwork for my own pleasure, generally small pieces. There is wood to match any color you might have in mind, and many times it is the most beautiful grain-wise. Purple heart is striking in it's color, and the grain complements it to perfection. White waxwood presents almost like elephant ivory, and the grain is almost non existent on better pieces. It's too flexible for a bed, but it is indestructible. If you could manage a chair out of it, and dropped it on the sidewalk, you'd be replacing a sidewalk.