A question about viewpoints - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question about viewpoints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

This whole confusion just proves how poorly written the law is. I think DOJ wants it in place mainly for the "fear factor" in engenders, but it has not actually been tested in court because when it is tested the whole thing may be declared "un-constitutional".

I suggest that keeping a printed copy of the whole AW law in the pocket of our range bags or drag bags is a good idea. Highlight the areas that pertain to your particular situation and have it handy.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Darin, I worked part time in a gun shop up until about six months ago.

LEO's routinely bought AR's, high capacity mags and firearms like the Ruger LCP without any paperwork from their agencies. They also bought pistols like the Kimber SIS which is also not available to guys like me, again without any special paperwork. One Sheriff bought a Barrett 50, again, no special paperwork.

I almost forgot about this...

No disrespect to you, but if LEO's were buying without paperwork someone might be making some mistakes. Here are the LE restrictions straight from DOJ's site.

Quote:
PEACE OFFICER EXEMPTION EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2002
Effective January 1, 2002, a peace officer member of a police department, sheriffs’ office, or other law enforcement
agency specified in Penal Code section 12280(f) who possesses or receives an assault weapon prior to
January 1, 2002, may, with the authorization of his or her agency head, retain and personally possess that
firearm provided he or she registers it as an assault weapon with the Department of Justice on or before April 1,
2002. Any such-identified peace officer may also, with the authorization of his or her agency head, purchase or
receive an assault weapon on or after January 1, 2002, provided he or she registers it as an assault weapon with
the Department of Justice within 90 days of receipt. Agency authorization must be in the form of verifiable
written certification from the head of the agency identifying the recipient or possesor of the assault weapon as a
peace officer and authorizing him or her to receive or possess the specific assault weapon.
The peace officer
must include a copy of this authorization with the assault weapon registration. Assault weapon registration
forms may be obtained from the Department of Justice by calling (916) 227-3694.
When I called DOJ I confirmed my original response about LE expemption and they did confirm it. They also stated AR's sold in original configuration as an assault weapon shall be sold with permission from the COP and DOJ. The BMG's fall under this same catagory. I was then emailed this link.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.