Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A question about viewpoints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default A question about viewpoints

I live in CA, I am retired LE and have a pretty capable grasp on CA gun law.

NOW ALL POLITICS ASIDE, I REALIZE THAT CA CREATED SOME OF THE MOST LIBERAL CRAP TO EVER COME ABOUT BUT THIS IS ABOUT GUNS AND GUNS ALONE.

This is not a flame on anyone or anywhere, I just want to understand some mindsets that others have.

California does have some more stringent laws when it comes to guns...
No mags over 10 rounds, no detachable mags with evil features, no semi auto shotguns with detachable mags, no semi auto shotguns with evil features, no 50 BMG, etc.

Some of our laws do not prevent crime, I know that. Gang member have hicap mags and full autos. I didn't see it all the time, but I did run across it. The shotgun laws are flat ridiculous.

Now I understand from the outside looking in, it looks like a noose is around our neck, but in reality there are states that are worse.

New Jersey, New York for example have more absurd laws than us. There are some laws you have to hunt large game with a shotgun or you can't use a shotgun at all. Now I am not picking on any of those states, but I do want to know why a lot of people single out California (Commiefornia, Kommiefornia, PRK, the peoples republic, the liberal left and so on) and slams the people who live here. It seems that every gun forum I am on as soon as I or someone else posts something and THEY HAPPEN to live in CA, some people start bashing even if the state has nothing to do with the post. Hell I have even been slammed about handgun law from guys who live in New York. But if I make a comment about New York, then holy crap I am the pot calling the kettle black.

Why is this? Please, lets keep the attacks out of this. This is not a flame, it is not intended on getting the masses rilled up. I just want to know why this exsists and why the double standard.

PS I live in the central valley. Trust me there are quite a few Conservative farmers here. The whole state is not liberal like some would like to believe.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, after breaking out and preparing a bunch of Mk-77 firebombs at 29 Palms for an airshow, they wouldn't let us drop them. That's my only complaint.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

One word: Pelosi (and Boxer if you want 2).

The loonies from CA get all the press and tend to get front page treatment which makes the state look bad. In some ways, GA gun law is stranger than CA gun law as we have the "public gathering" law that no one understands...

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

California may be the easy target but as far as viewpoints go, it all depends on your perspective...can't you have semi-autos in CA? No permit, no registration, no licence required? Practice/plinking allowed?

I would personally call that WIN. Perspective is all.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Well, after breaking out and preparing a bunch of Mk-77 firebombs at 29 Palms for an airshow, they wouldn't let us drop them. That's my only complaint.
I can understand that and it would piss me off. But does that justify lambasting everyone from CA, just because they live here? Not saying you did, but for some people they would make it a personal vendetta against CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
One word: Pelosi (and Boxer if you want 2).

The loonies from CA get all the press and tend to get front page treatment which makes the state look bad. In some ways, GA gun law is stranger than CA gun law as we have the "public gathering" law that no one understands...
I appreciate that, that is why I asked about guns and guns alone. Remember who Illinois created or what about Nevada? Even though we have some nuts here, is that good enough to blast people and tell them to move out of CA and into the United States? Once again, not saying you did or ever would.

What I am seeing in my experience is CA has San Fransisco and LA. Together they create a lot of libs, and a lot of attention.

Lets say you live in state "A" who has the exact laws that CA has and I live in CA. Now we both post a question about how to build a legal AR. In most cases I have seen, you will get constructive answers with references and links.

Me...I will most likely get blasted and get told to move to a "free state" or to move to the USA, type comments. Do you see what I mean?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-04-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
California may be the easy target but as far as viewpoints go, it all depends on your perspective...can't you have semi-autos in CA? No permit, no registration, no licence required? Practice/plinking allowed?

I would personally call that WIN. Perspective is all.
Without getting into PC 12276.1, yes for the most part you can have semi autos without any problems at all.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As a resident of Sacramento, I feel I can speak with a bit of credibility on the subject.

The laws are restrictive. Sacramento County requires identification and a form filled out with a copy of a drivers license and a thumbprint to purchase ammunition.

LEO's can buy any damn gun they please, but a regular citizen can't. Don't get me wrong, I'm a law & order guy, but why is a cop more special or better able to handle a firearm than me? In fact, I'm probably more capable and more safe with a firearm than most LEO's.

The 10 round magazine limit is just plain stupid. When did any of that crap ever stop a criminal from committing a crime.

A ten day wait to pick up a gun from a dealer? In other states, you can go in, and walk out with the gun that same day.

The same with concealed carry laws. Unless you're butt buddies with the Sheriff or politically connected and/or wealthy, and ordinary citizen cannot get a CCW.

I realize that it's not that way in some rural counties, but here in Sacramento with all the gangbangers, perverts and general criminals jerkoffs, a means of self defense is verboten.

If I were to carry in spite of the law, then I'm the criminal.

Then there's the fact that California is the capitol of Political Correctness. If it's off kilter, left of center and generally inane and assinine, the chances are that it originated here.

Friggin' Jerry Brown is still hanging around for crying out loud! We've got Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer and Matsui in D.C. keeping California left.
We've got scumbags like Villaraigosa, an Aztlan supporter running L.A.

We are overtaxed, overcharged and generally abused by damn near every agency or program or politician in the state.

We pay entirely too much for goods and services, more than other states. There's more, but right now I'm entirely too agitated to continue.

Trust me, my wife and I are leaving CA asap.

Btw, thanks for your service.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2266 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 160

There is a reason we call it the "Left Coast". Obviously the state is not inhabited by 100% left wing loons. Kali just seems to have a higher percentage of such types. New York City, New Jersey, Chicago and DC have more than their fair share of effed up gun laws. New Jersey seems to be completely out of tough with the population. The politicians have managed to pass overly restrictive gun laws (no HP handgun ammo) in spite of the leanings of the populace.

California is just plain fun to pick on. Chicago is just a bunch of Daley Ditto heads. DC does not even have any real people left in it, just politicians and bureaucrats and New York city is not even a part of the USA any more (is it?).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I realize that my post didn't adhere strictly to firearms laws, but to not include the political and financial side doesn't give the whole picture.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really feel for you poor Republicans, Libertarians, Conservative Democrats and Independents in California!!

You're outnumbered by the Communists, Liberals and Social Progressives.

This is why we talk about California from the corner of our mouths, as if doing so will prevent the same liberal crap from drifting Northward! God Forbid!!

I have a Carry Permit in Oregon but must completely dismantle my firearm before crossing the border into California. This requires me to carry a 6 cell mag light or ball bat or a complete set of golf clubs....wait, the last one is something I carry all the time, instead of my .45 or 9MM. This leaves me defenseless against a criminal with a gun, intent to committing a crime and leaving no witnesses.

We all know it is an individuals right, dare I say responsibility to defend themselves, their family and their property. The police do not protect the citizens they serve. They investigate crime which has already been committed, follow the evidence to the perp, arrest them and deliver them to the judicial system.

People get the government they deserve.