Question about Stack On Elite safes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Question about Stack On Elite safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Question about Stack On Elite safes

So I came across one of these..

Stack-On E-36-MG-C Elite Gun Fire Resistant Safe, Hunter Green - Knobs and Hardware

It's a couple of years old but other then some minor scratches it's in good shape. The guy is asking $600 which is a good price but my question to all of you is, how good of a safe is this? It's got some size and weight(600#), fire resistant and I don't think you'll be able to just pry your way into it. What are your thoughts?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1723 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 3649

I am pleased with mine. I got it at Dunhams, on sale for just a little over $600 .

Old 05-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Spitty,
I've never owned a gun safe before, but I've been doing some research lately. The model you linked to has 5 bolts all in one side of the door. I believe these are exactly they type that can be pried open with a big spud bar. Did you see that video a few weeks back where they popped a gun safe open in something like 1.5 min. Watching how they did it, I would think you at least want something with bolts in the top and bottom side of the doors, so they would have to pry it in more than one direction.

Also, I don't know what you're requirements are in a gun safe, but it only has a 30 min. fire rating. I've seen that if you plan on storing any paper documents (eg. marriage certificate, passport, etc) you should have a 2 hr. rated safe.

Again, this is just what I've stumbled on in my research.

You might try looking at http://www.patriotsafe.com/ they seem to have decent quality safes for pretty fair prices, and they will finance or lay away or something. They deliver, but I think it saves you a few hundred bucks if you pick it up. IIRC they're in Commifornia.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the Patriots?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

On the other hand, $600 bucks is a hell of a deal for a safe with any fire rating.

I have a habbit of saying I'm going to spend $500 on something then researching and finding reveiws saying what I really want is something $200 more, then when I start looking at reviews for the better item people tell me I need this feature and that feature....by the time I'm ready to buy something it cost $2,000 so I just say they're too expensive and go without.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It has bolts all around the door. 5 on each side. 2 or 3, top and bottom.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
It has bolts all around the door. 5 on each side. 2 or 3, top and bottom.
Oh, that's much better. The link said 3 live bolts and 2 dead bolts, and I could only see the 5 on the one side in the pic.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wasn't sure about the exact number of bolts either but then I haven't physically seen the safe, just found it on a local forum. I've also found the same model with conflicting information online.

Jesse, I understand completely what you are saying about fire rating and the video you mentioned is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. A safe that you can pry into with a digging iron in 90 seconds is hardly a safe in my mind. At the same time, I feel the need to secure my weapons as well as some other items/documents and don't have $2k to spend on a safe. The number of break ins in my area has gone up in recent months and continues.
Now there are also people who are breaking into houses specifically looking for guns so they can take them back to Mexico or give them to illegals. My BIL who works for the IRS says all the federal agencies are aware of it and NC is one of the worst states becuase it's laws are friendly for illegals.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I wasn't sure about the exact number of bolts either but then I haven't physically seen the safe, just found it on a local forum. I've also found the same model with conflicting information online.

Jesse, I understand completely what you are saying about fire rating and the video you mentioned is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. A safe that you can pry into with a digging iron in 90 seconds is hardly a safe in my mind. At the same time, I feel the need to secure my weapons as well as some other items/documents and don't have $2k to spend on a safe. The number of break ins in my area has gone up in recent months and continues.
Now there are also people who are breaking into houses specifically looking for guns so they can take them back to Mexico or give them to illegals. My BIL who works for the IRS says all the federal agencies are aware of it and NC is one of the worst states becuase it's laws are friendly for illegals.
I after Towboater said it has more bolts, I looked at the picture again and can see at least on on the top. I assume it has the same on the opposite sides too.

You're right in going for what you can afford. That's what I was trying to say in the post where I said I have a tendency to keep uping the quality and features until I get to the point that they cost more than I'm willing to pay, and I just don't get one.

Beter to have a decent safe now than not have one because you're saving up for Fort Knox.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just found out it has a total of 10 locking bolts. 3 on the hinge side which are stationary, 5 on the front side of the door and 1 on the top and bottom. Knowing that makes me a lot more comfortable with it. I only wish the fire rating was better.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If you have a Dunhams close by ya might check em out. They carry all the stack on safes. I think their regular price was around 800 for the 36 gun. Got mine on sale for a bit over 600